Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Relationship/marriages

I have heard a lot about broken relationships after large weight losses and even though I feel that my marriage is very strong I am concerned about the outcome. I am having surgery for me first of all, and my family second. I want to be more active and healthy. I am tired of not going places because of the way I look and feel. My husband likes me just fine the way that I am and gives his blessings to me because he knows how important this is for me.

I am looking for your thoughts.

Thanks!

Amanda

My boyfriend was happy with how I looked before the surgery at 208 lbs, and spent a lot of time dreading how I was going to turn into a bag of bones with no boobs, etc. That never happened, I just leveled out at a normal, healthy weight without getting too thin. He's at least equally, if not more, content with how I look now. My weightloss didn't really affect our relationship in any way, I think. He has told me that even though he liked me the way I was before just as much, he does feel a little more tickled pink when we go out and I dress up, because "according to society's standards, you are even hotter these days."

I think its also a state of mind. Someone who has put their life on hold for so many years is finally confident enough to have the life theyve wanted for so long. That I believe is where the problems come in. The other person is fine with the life they have and are sometimes left behind

I don't own any full length mirrors and a little over a year ago we were at my Mother in-laws lake house...I took a shower and damn near the whole bath is full length mirrors....I looked at myself in HORROR....I thought My God this is what my husband see's....I came out of the bathroom in tears...sat down at the kitchen table with Mother in-law and hubs and cried my eyes out....what worries me with the weight loss is saggy skin...the only places on my body that are a bit "poogie" are my belly (not too much tho) and the insides of my legs (as well not real bad) so I am hoping with exercise that I will be able to tone those areas up...I see so many that have lost tons of weight and in clothes the look fabulous...I just wonder what they look like when the take off their "Spanks" or what ever they wear...I am 54 years old and have always been fit. Until I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000 and that's when the weight gain started....Melanie(

what worries me with the weight loss is saggy skin...the only places on my body that are a bit "poogie" are my belly (not too much tho) and the insides of my legs (as well not real bad) so I am hoping with exercise that I will be able to tone those areas up...I see so many that have lost tons of weight and in clothes the look fabulous...I just wonder what they look like when the take off their "Spanks" or what ever they wear...I am 54 years old and have always been fit. Until I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2000 and that's when the weight gain started....Melanie(

Granted, I am in my late 20s, so I have age on my side, but feel free to check out my pix to see what I look like in minimal clothes. Oh, and I only ever wear Spanx to hide the granny pantylines with really tight pants or dresses, because I simply refuse to wear thongs.

I actually agree that the issues likely come from people losing the wait wanting to do the things they never had the confidence or felt comfortable doing.

I think if its a solid relationship in the first place that it will make it through. If its rocky to begin with I couldn't tell you how it would turn out.

My husband isn't too thrilled about it either. He doesn't want me to have the surgery, but I have to do it for myself

My husband has always been supportive in everything I do and our relationship is strong (13 years together, 6 married) but he has said he is worried about me leaving him for someone else when I get smaller.

I'm aware that he has his own demons with weight and eating and maybe he thinks I will evolve without him. I try to make him understand that he can benefit from my surgery as well by mimicking my eating habits and going into ketosis.

I make sure to remind him daily that I'm not going anywhere :)