Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ideal Weights..are They Kidding?

For a male my age, 63, height, 6"2", and body type, big boned my ideal weight according to the calculators of health experts, ( http://www.calculato...r=180&x=78&y=12

my ideal weight is between 167 and 194 pounds. I am now 271 and my goal is 220.

I haven't been 194 since I was 18 and I was probably about 13 when I was 167, sickly, and just had my appendix out. I ran into an old friend last night and she was very happy about my losing 60 pounds but when I told her I had 50 pounds more to go she freaked out. She thinks I've gone nuts with this, that I don't need to lose that much. That would just get me down to 220, if I went by the calculator I could lose another 104 pounds.

I am thinking I would look and feel lousy at their recommended weights. What do you folks think about them?

The bodybuilding calculators are different. The ideal weigh for my height is 220 there, IF I am a bodybuilder. I figure my age is going to lower that number because I can't put on the mass that I used to with lowered testosterone. So 205-215 is realistic.

i always say get down to the weight u r comfortable with, inches are just as important, if u think 220 is the # then wtg, maintain maintain, is the next step, after u get to what u want, i am 5'7" they say my weight should be 140, my gawd i would be skin and bones,,lol.

The various charts and calculators are guidelines that tend to apply more to populations on average rather than individuals. Various body composition indicators give a better overall view of an individuals health. My goal was to get into the middle teens on body fat %, which is the middle of the normal range for men of our advancing age (the range it typically sited as 11-22%, give or take a point or two on each side depending on the source) which. at 5'10 and 190, still leaves me "overweight" on the BMI scale. When I started out, I targeted 200 as my initial goal as that would put me into my target body comp range under the admittedly gross assumption that only fat would be lost; I readjusted the target on the way down as my body comp changed and settled into the 185-190 range as a healthy weight for my musculature.

Also, be cautious on the "big boned" label as that is almost cliche amongst us when we are heavy, and some of the classical measures can change with substantial weight loss. By the measure of fingers around your wrist, I was always about medium framed on their scale, but am somewhat below that now. So that's a guide, but about as valid as any of the other quick measure guides like the calculators - take it with a few kilos of salt. Good luck on your loss.

The idea weight charts were also created by insurance companies back in the early 1940's. There's nothing there about BMI. The range is to cover "frame size" and muscle mass differences.

OH OH OH!!!! I was so happy when my surgeon's P.A. told me that there is no 'ideal weight' any more that "they" have done away with it!!! Yaaaay!!! WEEEEE get do decide where we should be! He just wants be out of the 'obese' BMI zone. Hey, I can handle that!

I'm still considered "overweight" according to the BMI scale.

Do I still want to lose more weight? NO.

I'm healthier than majority of those Regular BMI'ers.

I'm still considered "overweight" according to the BMI scale.

Do I still want to lose more weight? NO.

I'm healthier than majority of those Regular BMI'ers.

I bet by measurements you wouldn't be though - and that's because you ARE healthy!

That's so funny - one of those calculations suggests I might actually weigh under 100 pounds and be healthy. lol

It was suggested by the nutritionist that I get to about 150, that would be just fine with me.

I have a goal set of 160, I am seriously rethinking it - I have a topic on it somewhere in here, lol.

My husband is 6'2" and he recently lost about 60 pounds. He is hovering around 220 right now and he is not overweight. He is not super skinny either but certainly he is a healthy weight and looks great! He still has his love handles but he doesnt work out and is happy with this weight right now. When he was 280, he was at risk for heart attack, etc because he carries his weight in the middle. I hope this helps you know that 220 is a good weight for your height!

yes i agree i feel that those things are so wrong for me being 5'4" they say i should be about 115 and i am at 197 now and can see bone are you kidding me... what the heck would i look like at 115. I dont know when the last time i ever saw 115 maybe in middle school. I am thinking 145 to 150 would be nice. I at no time ever want to be the kind of person people see and try to feed.. As it is now every one i know says i dont eat.. I eat just not what i was able to 4 months ago.

When I went to the doctor for my consultation I honestly thought that I did have a big frame. I was shocked when he said that I will probably be more on the small/petite size once I've lost all the weight. My BMI chart said that at 5'5" I should be about 120, but Dr W. says that I'll look great at 135/140. Those charts are so confusing, and he said that doctors shouldn't use them anymore.

Great responses! I think we pretty well agree that the guildlines are to be considered but not worthy of slavish adherence.

To me it's like the fashion advice given for men on some shows on cable. I normally scratch my head in dismay that masculine people would want to parade around like that. Some of it makes me want to put a rider in my will that if anyone dresses me like that in my casket I will haunt them for the rest of their life. :)

Gman, if your avatar is a pic of how you look right now, I don't know where even 50 pounds will come off you! Unless you have a big ol' hump on your back! LOL

I agree that the insurance charts are nuts. I keep reading 140-160 for my height of 5'8. At 160 I would look like I died last week! I ran track in HS and weighed 180+, but could wear a bikini without making anyone sick. I'm aiming for 190 now and I'll see how I feel at that point. I can always LOSE more! :)