Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey, I am 22 and 250 pounds with 2 kids. I am just starting to look into the lap band procedure and am really nervous about it. My husband is fully supporting me in every decision I am making. I am just not sure how to start everything and get the ball rolling. I am always open for any suggestions and all support would be awesome! like I said, I am new and extremely nervous!

Hey, you know the ad for NIKE...You just have to do it. I was nervous too but once you get to the consultation and see the people who have lost the weight. It will all change. I had my surgery in June 06 and I have lost 25 lbs in 6 weeks. It's the best thing I ever did for myself.I am 38 and also weighed 255lbs with 3 kids. I just looked at it as saving my life to see my children grow up and my grandbabies to come in the future. JUST DO IT>>>>> good Luck.

Don't be nervous, it's not worth it because it is such a breeze. I've had 4 surgeries and this was a walk in the park. I started looking into this and from the day I started to the day of surgery was only 5 weeks or so. It is life altering and I was at 262 and 3 weeks later I'm at 241. Please don't give into your fears. You'll be so glad you went through it. I have pics I could show you of me minutes after surgery, next day, next week, now if you would like to see them.

Good luck on your decision, but I wished I'd had mine done years ago.

I'm another one here to say "go for it"! I'm 39 and my pre-surgery weight was 337 and my surgery weight was 322.5. I've lost 31.6 pounds since June 21st when I started my liquid and 17.1 since my July 5th surgery. I would do it again in a heart beat! Finding this message board has been a blessing as well. Anything you need to know, you'll find it here. Good luck to you!

hey like they said just do it... I was 308 and a year and month later I am 186 and had almost given up on weight loss I had tried everything. This is the best thing I have ever did for myself. But a word of warning, the band will not make you lose weight, it will let you lose, if you do the work....it is not a miracle or quick fix, but a tool to let you do your thing...I get so sick of people (that I meet in public) saying I got the band and I haven't lost much weight, mine is not working I can sit in a mexican restaurant and eat chips all day. well duh, if you want to change your life why are you doing that in the first place,

anyway, if you are ready to make a change, the band is great, and thanks for a chance to let me vent.....

You got it patty103. I went for my first fill last Thursday. I met alot of nice people but some were gripping about not losing weight or not enough weight. As I sat there waiting I listened to them talk and most of them were eating poboy sandwiches(which I don't eat any bread)and drinking carbonated drinks which are a no-no. I wanted to say " how do you expect to lose weight that way"? It's just a tool but a wonderful one. You just have to have fought the weight battle long enough to decide that you are going to do this because if you are like me nothing else would work. I will never regret my decision to do this it's the best thing I have ever done for myself the only regret is I didn't do it sooner.:faint:

I know it can be a tough decision...at least it was for me to finally admit to myself that I couldn't do it on my own. I found a free seminar in my area and after talking to them I knew it's what I wanted to do. My next step was finding a dr and getting the money together. Good luck to you.

Hey, I am 22 and 250 pounds with 2 kids. I am just starting to look into the lap band procedure and am really nervous about it. My husband is fully supporting me in every decision I am making. I am just not sure how to start everything and get the ball rolling. I am always open for any suggestions and all support would be awesome! like I said, I am new and extremely nervous!

I'd be concerned if you weren't nervous, it's a huge decision. My best advice it take your time and research. Read here, it's a great source of info, and other places on the internet. Go to a seminar if there is one close to you. Look for surgeons in your area, many offer free seminars.

I don't know where you are from but I had my surgery done in Houston and my doctor (Dr. Spivak) did free siminars. You go to the siminar and if you want to you see the Doctor or you can leave.:)

Honestly the hardest part is making the first call to the Doctor's office. Everything else is just tasks. Get this test, get that test. Show up at this place at this time.

This was my first surgery ever (I was banded July 18th). I would do it again in a heartbeat.

How lucky you are at 22 to have this procedure as an option. I am 63 and was banded 7-17-2006. My high weight was 478 in April of 1988. Since then I have lost some weight and controlled gaining any more weight but it was a battle to loose a whole lot. Over the years I averaged a 1 pound gain per month but that small gain per month turned into a huge gain over the years.

Don't wait for the extra pounds to add up, do it now and avoid all the negative affects health wise and socially that go with carying all that excess weight.

The procedure is a wonderful tool and far easier than you are probably imagining. There was discomfort for a little over a week but I am now feeling great and loosing weight (about 35 pounds since my first appoinment with the surgeon).

Don't get caught up in all the negative stories that are posted. Of the people I know who have been banded all are doing well and are extremely pleased with the results.

Good luck and if you want details e-mail me and I will be happy to relate my experience and additional information.

weight at first visit 445

banded 7-17-2006 by Dr Montgomery in Seattle

weight at surgery 435

weight now 8-2-2007 is about 410

yep, i'm with everyone else - just do it - get started on your research. Don't know if you are big enough for surgery in the us but that would be a good place to start - are you going for insurance or self pay. That would give you an idea if you are going to have surgery in the U.S. or out of country. Then the fun really begins but you can find lots of info on this site and all over the internet on mexican docs/clinics. my doc - ortiz has a book you can order on his site that is pretty non-biased (not just promoting him - he menitones several other docs, etc. and gives a good idea on all aspects of surgery) www.obesitycontrolcenter.com

things pretty much roll forward from there but you'll need to start thinking of money (ugh) if self pay and while most docs offer financing options i found home equity was the cheapest for me. I feel luck to have had that option.

then you gotta think about who to tell, not tell, etc and get the worries aside and pretty soon you'll be banded. i hope it works for you. it is not a miracle cure - oh no - you still have a lot of work to do with the band so don't fool yourself. some drop weight like mad, others struggle with every pound (me) but i hope it's gone for good which is ok with me.

good luck and keep pressing forward.

I sure am glad that you are having this conversation. I'm to be banded on Aug. 19, 2006 and I to am getting nervous. I hope that I am making the correct decision; I'm going to Dr. Auturo Rodriguez in Monterey Mexico. Self pay $8000.00 plus. I am worried that I will some how not lose the weight like everyone else. And afraid that I will still want to eat everything that is not nailed down........... Then what about the skin, I've been having nightmares about it. God be with me because my insurance won’t help in this and I'm not sure what to do if things go wrong. Have any of you felt this way? I read about how everyone has to have their head on straight and be focused on eating correctly and I wonder what is wrong with me. If I could have that kind of discipline I would be able to lose the weight without the surgery. Am I crazy?

you are perfectly normal, but like I said it is by far the best thing I have ever did for myself, all my friends say I have the most discipline of any they know, but I couldn't lose the weight... couldn't discipline myself when I felt so bad. you will need some discipline with the band but if you want it bad enough it will be there.. I always heard if you want something bad enough you will do whatever it takes.. well i wanted to lose this weight bad enough and the band is what it took to make it happen..the band let me be disciplined enough, but I knew the band would make it possible not easy.... it keeps me back on the wagon when I fall off some days like before I couldn't get back on track when I would fall...

good luck....

Thanks patty103 I appreciate your quick response. I have a great sense of humor; however there is nothing funny about feeling crazy. I will accept your good luck wish and hope for the best