Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will we always have to crush pills or break them open? Or do we eventually get to swallow them, if so how far out can we start swallowing them?

After 10 days, I started swallowing my thyroid....a little long narrow pill. I cut my heart rx in half. It was very small, too. Dr. approved me doing it. I couldn't tolerate the tastes smashed.He said, just not much bigger than that for now. He said it's very painful if it gets stuck. I've had no problem.

I am three weeks post-op and saw my surgeon for follow-up today. I asked him this very question. He said, a general rule is that if the pill is smaller than your pinkie finger nail, go ahead and swallow it. But, if its bigger, at least cut it into smaller pieces. I want to make it clear though that I have not had any trouble swallowing or keeping anything down, so your situation might be different.

After 10 days, I started swallowing my thyroid....a little long narrow pill. I cut my heart rx in half. It was very small, too. Dr. approved me doing it. I couldn't tolerate the tastes smashed.He said, just not much bigger than that for now. He said it's very painful if it gets stuck. I've had no problem.

I started back on my thyroid pill at day four, I believe (the first day home from the hospital). I was terrified of it, so I broke it in two.

I cut up any pills and take the pieces maybe 10 minutes apart.

I am three weeks post-op and saw my surgeon for follow-up today. I asked him this very question. He said, a general rule is that if the pill is smaller than your pinkie finger nail, go ahead and swallow it. But, if its bigger, at least cut it into smaller pieces. I want to make it clear though that I have not had any trouble swallowing or keeping anything down, so your situation might be different.

Never cut a time release pill. It can be very harmful.

hi all

my regular pills can not be crushed for various reasons (not sleeve related) I had problems swallowing, but within a a couple of weeks, it was easier taking them

DOS 12/15/11 - I can take all 12 of them finally, but 1 every 15 minutes. Oh well - don't have to crush and they stay down.

kathy

I am on medications that could not be crushed. On day 3 (the day I was released from the hospital), they started me back on 3 of my medications. I didn't have any trouble keeping these down and one of the pills is rather large. I spaced them out about 15 minutes in between.

I have thrown up a few times when taking meds or Vitamins too close together or on an empty stomach. Before being sleeved, meds on an empty stomach never bothered me. Now I have to take them with applesauce, yogurt, or a Baybel cheese. I can't take them with my actual meal since we aren't supposed to drink while eating.

With the Vitamin additions, I have to carefully balance my pills out. Especially to ensure that the Iron is spaced from the Calcium. I feel like I'm taking something every 2 hours.

Most of my Vitamins are chewable or sublingual. I do take a fish oil in gel form that I do not crush or chew. It is big and I don't have any problems with it. I am 53 days out.

Great question... Great responses :)

I am 5 weeks out today but I have been taking chewable vitamins and disolvable B12 pills since day one. At about 3 weeks out I started taking mini-soft gel capsules of Fish Oil. I take two of those a day since they're mini so I just spread them out throughout the day. It was hard to swallow them at first, but I don't have any trouble with them now. I never threw up because of them.

I am 5 weeks out today but I have been taking chewable vitamins and disolvable B12 pills since day one. At about 3 weeks out I started taking mini-soft gel capsules of Fish Oil. I take two of those a day since they're mini so I just spread them out throughout the day. It was hard to swallow them at first, but I don't have any trouble with them now. I never threw up because of them.