Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 Day Post Op Journal

I didn't have a drain so I can't sympathize with anyone there. Sorry. I'm sure that's a lot to deal with.

I'm getting better slowly..... Very slowly! The first two days I wa in tears of a sea of pain! But daily I see imporvemmt.

I've found a few things that help ease my pain...

The "pop rocks" bubbles in my throat get soothed by using baby colic drops, gripe Water as some call it but look in the pharmacy section where baby colic drops are. Any are good!

My throats sore from the tube and everything going down hurts,, so I melt a cough drop in warm Water and drink that often. Been wonderful!

Having my husband rubbing my back in circles helps me burp... A LOT:) he will even walk with me and do it and it's so relieving.

I had amazing pain under my larger right side incision and was icing it and finally went back to the dr on day 4 cause I was in tears as every time I coughed or sneezed it pulled that muscle up and felt like an alien baby was popping outta me. Low and behold I'm told that incision held a larger instrument and cut into my muscle hich has stiches and the Ice was spasming the muscle, so I bought icy hot heat strips and also am using my hearing pad for overall stomach and that's stopped that horrible pain.

I use my breathing apparatus every hour and cough as much as possible after, while holding a pillow or something against my tummy and that's helpful to breath better and get the particles from the gas outta my lungs.

I wear my compression hose socks they gave me every night to avoid blood clots but also walk a lot when I'm awake.

Walk walk walk... Oh I pace all I can stand! and burp my little heart out. Never felt so in lady like ever! My teen boys and husband LOVE IT! :)

My sips are still maybe a teaspoon at most at a time. It hurt like hell going down and once it hit my tummy the first 3 days, now not so much going down but yea still bad when it hits my tummy. So I sip sip and walk and burp then repeat.

Warm liquids are my best friend! I strained chicken and rice Soup and added a bottle of water and that's two different "meals", and I strained lentil Soup a d added water as well, a little more water tho.

Warm Peppermint tea with a melted cough drop is how I get most of my water as it soothes my throat which is sore from the tube and it doesn't kill going down.

It took me all 4 of my days to get through one Isopure liquid drink. I don't mind the taste, it just really hurts when it hits the tummy. I can tell that's getting better tho.

I chew a few tums before I drink anything and I'm not going near any milk based drinks yet.

Today I had a scoop of vanilla whey Protein with a bottle of water and 5 strawberries! Oh it was heaven.

I'm not near my daily 64oz of fluids yet cause of the pain I'm in, but I'm getting closer everyday and working harder to burp between sips and not lay down too soon after liquids.< /p>

I still take my pain meds every 4-6 hours and it looks like I'll be out by tomorrow so I'll switch to liquid Tylenol if need be, as the torn muscle is the worst.

The pains in my gut feel like contractions. Coming on even when I'm not drinking. So I remember my Lamaze breathing from childbirth and make myself walk and burp when they hit me.

Everyone is diff and I applaud those who aren't in too much pain, I hear there is a lot of you and I'm envious and happy for you too tho. For me it's been very hard and painful but I'm doing my best.

My stomach is still bloated beyond anything. I couldn't even fit into my "period pants" on day four when I went back to the dr, so that's depressing but dr said I was one of the few that don't tolerate anesthesia well and it'll just take longer to disaapte out of me.

I have been putting scar cream my dr gave me

On my "raccoon wounds" twice a day and other than the bad bruising around each wound they look pretty good.

It's such a rough road but I'm so confident it's all worth it!

Good luck and do share!!! :)

HANG IN THERE, ITS GETS BETTER. I EXPERIENCE THE SAME PAIN FOR A FEW SECONDS ONCE MY food HIT MY STOMACH, I WAS WONDERING IS THAT NORMAL? ONCE AGAIN, HANG IN THERE!

Congrats on your sleeve! HAng in there,like SHC says,it does get better as each day goes by. I am 3 weeks out and am tolerating cold liquids much better. I really don't even feel like I had surgery except that I can't eat hardly anything! LOL Just keep doing what you're doing and it will get better soon!! After the first week,I would say the most important things are liquids,proteins,walking,vitamins. ((HUGS))

Hi , so sorry for all you discomfort. I must say it does get and fast. One thing that I hear in your post is it sounds like your very good at finding solutions, which means that you prepared yourself. I have seen a lot of others not be so fortunate.

I am almost 3 weeks out and I must say everyday have been easier past a week. I was uncomfortable, especially getting things down but as you said everyone heals differently. I thought I would be one of those that do not handle anesthesia well, that was my experience with childbirth and a hysterectomy but for some reason not with this, thank GOD!!!

One thing I believe really has helped me is that I was told a long time ago to watch my sodium. That has totally helped with my swelling and I believe has helped my esophogus and my new tummy to heal.

Keep doing what your doing and this stage will only be a mere memory very soon.

Hang in there I'm three weeks out too and would never know I had surgery except I'm never hungry and can eat very little. I can even drink normally except Water, weird. I don't have a bougie though and no drain. Feel better soon! You'll be here soon.

Thanks all!:) I'm very hopeful and every day feel one new improvement so I do know it will get better. I feel like I'm hungry all day, not just when i hve pains or growls from my stomach but all the time and I hope that subsides soon. The biggest pain today is the muscle that's trying to heal. Otherwise I'm hanging in there;)