Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Million Dollar Question

According to my therapist, the million dollar question is:

What will we use to replace food as a comfort mechanism?

Cnn.com had an article recently that stated that a good number of formerly heavy people pick up other addictions after/as they lose their weight through weight loss surgery.

I can't imagine myself ever becoming one of those people who exercises when I'm trying to cope with emotions that I used to feed. It surely would be wonderful if that would work, though. I'd be skinny in no time.

After some soul searching, I've realized that I miss how I used to modify my moods with music. So, I believe that may be my replacement.

I just got on my treadmill, walked with my eyes closed, and listened to some great music on my Zen. Know what? I walked twice as long as I did yesterday and I feel better. Maybe this will work! :rockon:

What is everyone doing to replace comfort food?

Hi Koala --

I have noticed since my banding that I am reading a lot more books. I've been reading at least one book a week and have majorly cut down on my television wathcing. For me a good book is an escape. I can really visualize and act it all out in my brain. That keeps my mind off food.< /span>

Also, know what you mean about walking with music. I love that. I've been walking 3 to 4 times a week. I have people from my support group that want to walk with me. But for me that is my time to jam with the beat and think of nothing else but the music.

Melissa Lea

I have been reading and knitting. I still do not exercise like I should. I feel like hitting myself on the forehead (I should have had a V-8 style) for not thinking about walking to music. Maybe that would get me motivated to start (and continue) walking. Music does soothe my soul. I love all kinds.

Thanks Koala and Melissa for the "wake up".

I was really worried about this but the fact is that with the loss of weight, the reason I was comfort eating has disappeared. I dont feel horrible, bad about myself, disgusting or any of those things and therefore ironically I dont need to sooth myself with food.

I just havent had the need to comfort eat since I finally had some success with getting control of my body and my eating habits.

I exercise a lot too and that keeps me on a high, hard aerobic exercise is really great for elevating your mood and keeping you happy.

My mom read some article that said a large percentage of people who have weight loss surgery end up alcoholics. That is scary. I wouldn't mind a cold beer (because it's so damn hot), but I'm scared to death of the carbonation (and the fact it is junk). But I'm only a week out and I've been wondering the same thing. I can't exercise for another 3 weeks so I've been sewing a lot and trying to stay busy. And I miss food alot. But I know I just want it for the comfort - not the actual food itself. I think it will be a long process. Good luck to all!

Marie

I suppose LBT is one of the addictions we might have!

I gave up drinking alcohol well before my band surgery, so that's not it...

I've tried to become more involved in things outside myself...using food as comfort is, by it's nature, very self-centered...when I feel nervous or stressed, I try to do something that will make someone else feel better, then I feel better, too.

I think it may not be one thing - but several things - that take the place of comfort eating. I've thought a lot about that myself. Any kind of crafting is good. I knit and sew and do all kinds of stuff with my hands. I like to garden. I like to build stuff. I think mousecrazy is SO right about finding something not so self-centered. I know back when I was on a hardcore diet before my wedding I would use Crest Whitestrips when I was climbing the walls for a snack. That only works for about 2 weeks though, unless you want crazy gameshow white teeth.

My mom read some article that said a large percentage of people who have weight loss surgery end up alcoholics.

I know two people who had gastric who now drink excessivily. One of them worked for years in a liquor store and never had a sip. Now after his surgery he drinks all the time. :cry There is a history of alcoholism in my family so I am aware to not go that route.

I don't know what I've replaced it with yet. I think I drink Crystal Light as a replacement. :)

i havent had my lapband yet im due to have it in 13 days

i recall one thing i used to do a few years ago when i was trying to lose weight was i would play my keyboard and if i made a mistake i would get down and do 10 pushups or situps lol..

it was funny to see because i'd be up and down up and down.. perhaps i should actually be able to play the keyboard properly then i wouldnt make so many mistakes i thought it was amusing at the time though cuz i can only play a couple of tunes i was taught ha ha anything to get my mind off food..

another thing i do is listen to audio books..

(novels on cd)

it helps me destress and like reading u can get the picture in your head and imagination can run wild.It reminds me of being in school as a lil girl and being told a story by my teacher plus you dont have to lay there in bed and hold the book up ( i know my arms get tired) and if u have a Migraine or eyestrain its perfect..

u can download a lot too plus a lot of meditation cd's

I have been reading a lot lately and didn't make the connection until reading these posts. I guess that has been my replacement. I have also noticed I do more at home (cleaning, laundry, organizing projects). I am working out but not really using it as a replacement. I guess I will be smarter and have a cleaner house - which isn't a bad thing!

My therapist/ nutritionist worked on the same thing with me. We determined I needed a healthy substitute for food. I ended up with music too. I have my ipod loaded and ready to go. BTW, none of the songs mention food, I made sure of that!:confused:

food was my comfort when I quit smoking a year and 6 days ago ( but who's counting!). Now that I am not eatting as much I find myself wanting a cigarette again- not for the taste or anything to do with smoking but because I am not eatting. Does that make any sense?!! I can't and won't start again so no worry there. (at least till I am 90 and then I may take it up again!) I find myself reading more also and doing more around the house and spending more time in the garden. And I have also developed an addiction to Crystal lite. When I really really have to have a treat or some comfort, I have a rice cake or rye crisp. After almost 5 yrs on Atkins, that feels like cheating to me! Luckily I am not a sweets person, my tastes run to salty.

This was my therapist's number one question too. She says that people who have addictive personalities don't just stop being addictive. They find something else.

So this issue...what to replace food with...is a BIG one. I haven't figured it out yet...here a year post banding. Nothing gives me the comfort that food does. For a while after banding I had a near scary shopping addiction but I got that back under control. I think for a while after the band I was addicted to the control I had...the fitday.com calorie and carb counting frenzy. That has worn off. So I'm left with lots of question marks.

My therapist advises it be something that 1) keeps your hands busy and makes you occupied (knitting, sewing, for me cross stitch) 2) something that you'll feel a sense of accomplishment about (learning to play an instrument, painting, etc)

Luck all! This is a tough one for me personally.