Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Were You Out Of Work

Geesh 12 hr. days?! Im not working that long ::side note you're so pretty and Go AGGIEZ::

Thanks so much! And AGGIE PRIDE all day long here! I come from a long line of Aggies.

Yes, the 12 hour days are long. I work with at-risk students in a low-performing high school. I coordinate an evening academy program at my school. Our students are in class until 8 pm. It's a wonderful program. So many of our students will now be able to graduate on time despite being behind cohort. But it make for tiring days. Teenagers are a trip and four extra hours per day is a double dose of the madness! LOL!

I didn't tell people at work either. When people asked, I said that I had a hernia repaired - not a lie because I did. Some have commented about them noticing I've lost weight (40 lbs in 5 weeks). I tell them I've changed my portion sizes tremendously, focus on Protein and Water, very little carbs, no fried foods, sodas, breads or Desserts - not a lie because this is what I'm doing. I'm not ashamed in any way, but it is personal to me. I was very selective in who I told. I may tell one day, may not. We'll see.

As for the gallbladder, I had mine removed 10 years ago. At that time, I spent one night in the hospital and my doc asked that I take 2 weeks off. Now, it's outpatient surgery for many, so I don't know if 2 weeks for a gallbladder sounds right. A friend of mine had hers removed in December on a Wednesday, was out shopping by Friday, and returned to work on Monday. That surgery was not bad at all to me.

Thanks so much! And AGGIE PRIDE all day long here! I come from a long line of Aggies.

Yes, the 12 hour days are long. I work with at-risk students in a low-performing high school. I coordinate an evening academy program at my school. Our students are in class until 8 pm. It's a wonderful program. So many of our students will now be able to graduate on time despite being behind cohort. But it make for tiring days. Teenagers are a trip and four extra hours per day is a double dose of the madness! LOL!

I didn't tell people at work either. When people asked, I said that I had a hernia repaired - not a lie because I did. Some have commented about them noticing I've lost weight (40 lbs in 5 weeks). I tell them I've changed my portion sizes tremendously, focus on Protein and Water, very little carbs, no fried foods, sodas, breads or Desserts - not a lie because this is what I'm doing. I'm not ashamed in any way, but it is personal to me. I was very selective in who I told. I may tell one day, may not. We'll see.

As for the gallbladder, I had mine removed 10 years ago. At that time, I spent one night in the hospital and my doc asked that I take 2 weeks off. Now, it's outpatient surgery for many, so I don't know if 2 weeks for a gallbladder sounds right. A friend of mine had hers removed in December on a Wednesday, was out shopping by Friday, and returned to work on Monday. That surgery was not bad at all to me.

mmmmm darn. My boss is an extremely nosy genius (literally, had a doctrine degree from ivy leauge college at like the age of like 12 or something) Im pretty sure she will question openly if recovery time doesnt add up. Perhaps I will use hernia repair exuse.......

I was off for two weeks and was glad to have them. I haven't had any time off for ages and it was like a mini-vacation. I scheduled all these little day trips that I never have time to do. I went to flea markets and animal auctions and zoos. The day I hit 2 weeks the doctor gave me a full release and I went horseback riding.

Granted, I was one of the lucky ones. The day I came home from the hospital I was so happy I was just about dancing around the house. They had kept me an extra day because I was anemic. I absolutely HATE hospitals and IV lines. One woman down the hall was vomiting and screaming and moaning all night long. I felt bad for her, but it was creepy. I was set to leave, anemic or not. Thankfully the blood work came back fine.

When I came back to work I asked if they could let me come in an hour earlier so I could get off earlier for a couple weeks. I wasn't fatigued, but it helped with the commute.

Someone up there got SIX WEEKS? My surgeon only allowed 2. What I wouldn't do for a six week vacation. Sigh!

Everyone's different. SYour mile may vary ;-)

Lol.... What will you say when you start dropping pounds like crazy??

Hormones, my mother lost weight after her hysterectomy, strange but that part is true...lol

I plan on telling people that I am having a hernia repaired. It is truthful for me since I am going to have my hiatal hernia fixed when they do the sleeve. :)

Going to discuss with my job today! Think Ill talk to H.R. first and then my boss. Requesting 2 weeks but going to try to get shorter hours for the 3rd week to help with the transition or at least avoid the traffic for my 70 min commute back home.

If they press for an answer ill just say hernia repair or "female issues"

Thanks all for the input!

Going to discuss with my job today! Think Ill talk to H.R. first and then my boss. Requesting 2 weeks but going to try to get shorter hours for the 3rd week to help with the transition or at least avoid the traffic for my 70 min commute back home.

If they press for an answer ill just say hernia repair or "female issues"

Thanks all for the input!

Good plan. Missing the commute for the first two weeks made my transition back to work painless.

Why not just tell them you are having a surgical procedure, and you wish to keep your medical issues private as you have a right to do. They have to right to question what type of procedure you are having. It is up to you to share as much or as little as you want to.

My surgery is scheduled for 2/29. My doc says most people need 4-6 weeks to recover but sometimes less depending on the job. Not sure how I'm going to feel and hopefully will gave a speedy recovery. At this point I an going to take off two weeks and do two weeks of 1/2 days.

Also I just told my boss surgery for female issues. That tends to stop further questions.

My surgery is scheduled for 2/29. My doc says most people need 4-6 weeks to recover but sometimes less depending on the job. Not sure how I'm going to feel and hopefully will gave a speedy recovery. At this point I an going to take off two weeks and do two weeks of 1/2 days.

Also I just told my boss surgery for female issues. That tends to stop further questions.

This is a really interesting question, but is seems to be looking like a "how long is a piece of string " question too. I know people who have bounced back from major surgery and others who haven't and also a few who have taken ages to recover from very minor surgery. I think perhaps it all depends on how healthy you are, time under the knife, reaction to anasthaesia and other drugs, your personal outlook, support system, how bashed - up your insides get during surgery and a host of other things.

Personally I am waiting until summertime to be sleeved when I plan to have about 7-8 weeks to myself to recover and to learn how to rethink my lifestyle. I think I also have the slightly panicked idea that sod's law states that I'll be one of those people who has all sorts of issues with recovery so I want to be on the safe side.Overly cautious, hmm perhaps :unsure:

I am taking two weeks and have the option for 6 weeks total before having to use a short term leave, I live in a smalll town so word has travled fast about my upcoming surgery. I have kept it from noone, I am proud of my second chance to get it right and I was told yesterday that I am being watched by many who needs this , for that I am proud to be a leader. I have several coworkers that have also come around and started asking questions for them or a family member. This is a good thing and I am proud to be lucky enough to be receiveing it :)

I am taking two weeks and have the option for 6 weeks total before having to use a short term leave, I live in a smalll town so word has travled fast about my upcoming surgery. I have kept it from noone, I am proud of my second chance to get it right and I was told yesterday that I am being watched by many who needs this , for that I am proud to be a leader. I have several coworkers that have also come around and started asking questions for them or a family member. This is a good thing and I am proud to be lucky enough to be receiveing it :)

Geesh you must live in pleasantville! @Carlos Lucky you to have such a huge support system!

I'm curious too.. i have my surgery on 7/9 and i'm wondering how long I should be out of work...

I took 2 weeks from work, I had my surgery on a wednesday but I could have returned by the next Monday I felt great but I have a desk job so it would have been easier than if I had to be on my feet all day depending on what kind of work you do.