Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got My Sleeve Finally!

Had surgery yesterday. My surgeon had pushed me back a bit cause his bypass patient had issues, so the wait gave me time to have a crying spell while talking I my kids an husband in the pre-op room.;(

Once they took me back the worst thing prior was the belly shot! Hurt like hell and stung bad for a bit after too.

In the OR the doctor said "ok you're gonna get your sleepy time drugs now", I remember laughing and saying "how long will it taaaaaaaa...." haha that was it!

In recovery room it took me a while to open my eyes. I could hear but hard a hard time coming too. I couldn't focus cause I was very dizzy and a little nasueas. I asked for my husband and ice chips and the ice chips made me want to vomit, but I didn't. It was just any liquid for the first few hours had that effect. Ice was way easier tHan even the smallest sip of Water as The pain from Water is almost unbearable.

They aren't kidding when they say you'll have a hard time clearing out the gas inside you from surgery! Omg the pain was equal to contractions from childbirth! (ive had 4, so am aware).;)

Of course the more u walk the more u burp. But i learned a few tricks. One is to be sure u have a pillow or towel folded into your tummy as u walk and burp because u will get hiccup burps and they hurt really bad. The pressure on the tummy holding it in place helpa a lot!

The best trick tho was my husband would pull me up in bed to a sitting position an rub in circles my upper back and man I burped up a storm.

Then when walking he would rub with both hand on both sides of my spine from middle to lower and those burps were the deep ones. They hurt but u must get them out. The more you burp the easier it is to drink a little water.

The night was rough with everyone coming in and taking blood and vitals and having to disconnect I'vs and all to pee. Once they give you the iv full of Vitamins you'll pee a lot!! It's a lot of pressure so don't hold it!

sleep reclined! But sitting up in the recliner was too much pressure for my tummy so I stayed in the bed and reclined to almost sitting up position.

You must walk every two hours! You'll feel better each time you do. And the burping will be easier. Walk slow and rest often but do it!

The next morning I was more able to drink a little bit of water evey so often. You must use the breathing apparatus they give you. Do ten breaths in evey hour then hold your stomach and cough! You have to do this to avoid getting liquid in your lungs. It feels good too and yes after u do it you can burp again!!!

I had my upper GI this morning. The stuff u have to drink is gross but it really is tolerable and at least the sooner u get the GI to look for leaks the sooner you can leave.

So a few hours after I did that I was released. Be sure you get a pain med at least 30min before you leave. They gave me a liquid hydrocodone so I will have an easier ride home.

Once home don't forget to use your breather! It is very helpful.

That's it for now... I guess time will tell the rest for me!

Sounds like you're doing great! The walking definitely makes a big difference! Awesome suggestion to have someone rub your back!

Welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Congrats! Sounds like you did great!!! The gas is the worst!

Congrats :) Wishing you a speedy and easy recovery!!

Had surgery yesterday. My surgeon had pushed me back a bit cause his bypass patient had issues, so the wait gave me time to have a crying spell while talking I my kids an husband in the pre-op room.;(

Once they took me back the worst thing prior was the belly shot! Hurt like hell and stung bad for a bit after too.

In the OR the doctor said "ok you're gonna get your sleepy time drugs now", I remember laughing and saying "how long will it taaaaaaaa...." haha that was it!

In recovery room it took me a while to open my eyes. I could hear but hard a hard time coming too. I couldn't focus cause I was very dizzy and a little nasueas. I asked for my husband and ice chips and the ice chips made me want to vomit, but I didn't. It was just any liquid for the first few hours had that effect. Ice was way easier tHan even the smallest sip of Water as The pain from Water is almost unbearable.

They aren't kidding when they say you'll have a hard time clearing out the gas inside you from surgery! Omg the pain was equal to contractions from childbirth! (ive had 4, so am aware). :wink1:

Of course the more u walk the more u burp. But i learned a few tricks. One is to be sure u have a pillow or towel folded into your tummy as u walk and burp because u will get hiccup burps and they hurt really bad. The pressure on the tummy holding it in place helpa a lot!

The best trick tho was my husband would pull me up in bed to a sitting position an rub in circles my upper back and man I burped up a storm.

Then when walking he would rub with both hand on both sides of my spine from middle to lower and those burps were the deep ones. They hurt but u must get them out. The more you burp the easier it is to drink a little water.

The night was rough with everyone coming in and taking blood and vitals and having to disconnect I'vs and all to pee. Once they give you the iv full of Vitamins you'll pee a lot!! It's a lot of pressure so don't hold it!

sleep reclined! But sitting up in the recliner was too much pressure for my tummy so I stayed in the bed and reclined to almost sitting up position.

You must walk every two hours! You'll feel better each time you do. And the burping will be easier. Walk slow and rest often but do it!

The next morning I was more able to drink a little bit of water evey so often. You must use the breathing apparatus they give you. Do ten breaths in evey hour then hold your stomach and cough! You have to do this to avoid getting liquid in your lungs. It feels good too and yes after u do it you can burp again!!!

I had my upper GI this morning. The stuff u have to drink is gross but it really is tolerable and at least the sooner u get the GI to look for leaks the sooner you can leave.

So a few hours after I did that I was released. Be sure you get a pain med at least 30min before you leave. They gave me a liquid hydrocodone so I will have an easier ride home.

Once home don't forget to use your breather! It is very helpful.

That's it for now... I guess time will tell the rest for me!

Thanks for the great report, you really took us with you on that scary big step. I read a lot of reports of the event, but yours really laid it out for me. My big step is next month, and your account of how it goes helps a lot!

So happy for you. Welcome to the loser's club! :)

Update: OUCH!!!! Omg being home could mean I get to sleep but the pain says otherwise! I'm hurting so bad and the liquid pain relived I get to take 4-6 hours isn't doing much but making me sleepy, but again..the pain won't allow me to sleep!!! I'm walking as much as possible but even a teaspoon of Water feels like I'm being stabbed in the stomach!!! Can't have anything but water until tomorrow and haven't had anything but water since Saturday and I'm just hungry.. And so so so sore and shaky too! I called the nurse who said its all normal! And will prob be this painful for a week!!! Oh lord get me through this week.. pleaseeeee

Thanks for the tips and telling how it all went down. I am near the end of my 6th month of supervised diet, so posts like this really help. Hope the pains lets up soon.

I'm so sorry!! =(( I agree that the first week is def the worst. It gets better almost immediately after a week imo. I am almost 3 weeks out and don't even feel like I had surgery. If I could give u any advice,I would say to keep on moving and walking as much as u can-to get that gas off,keep taking gas x chewables or strips,I like the chewables better. And I would get some type of antacid to keep that acid away! It's horrible! It may make you think you're hungry! If drinking Water hurts your sleeve,try waking up to a nice warm cup of herbal tea,it is so soothing. Then follow that with room temperature or luke warm water. I know warm water sounds nasty,but it wasn't bad for me. My sleeve would not and still really doesn't tolerate cold anything very well. I drink it still,but I try to drink room temp water,it goes down so great. I really hope you feel better soon!!! You have done something great for yourself,it just takes a lil time to adjust. (((HUGS)))

Thanks allformy4!! I needed to hear that. Gonna try tea now since my room temp Water refuses to go down nicely! I know this too shall pass from reading others journeys but until then... Boy oh boy!!!!!;-) having someone rubbing my back when I walk so I can burp is a tremendous help! Thanks again all;-)

You are so welcome. That's what we're here for! Oh it helped so much for dh to rub my back! All things warm and hot were and are awesome for me. I loved broth and then when I got to full liquids I really loved chicken broth with cream of chicken Soup mixed in. It's usually hard to get even liquids in at first bc the sleeve is still so swollen from surgery it will pass. =) Good luck!

Momof4, Your hubby sounds great! You did a fantastic job reporting how your surgery has affected you. It's so wonderful for all of us, whatever stage we are in, to hear the voice of experience.

I hit my one week yesterday. All I can say is, every single day you take one step in feeling better. Day 6 to Day 7 was a big jump for me. It was the first day I got my JP tube out and got out of p.j.'s. It was heavenly!

My favorite thing is beef broth, second is Jell-O. Isopure is finely tolerable. My goal is to get up to 2 bottles a day. It's hard. I just don't want my hair falling out from being Protein deprived. )-: