Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopy Thursday - What Happens?

I have my endoscopy on Thursday? Can someone quickly walk be through what happens?

I'm really nervous :(

Thanks

It's a "piece of cake" Stacey....you will get an IV...and they will put some meds in to relax you...mine sprayed a kinda nasty spray in my throat to numb it....they give you the sleepy drug in your IV and off to sleep you go! They insert a small tube with camera down your throat to look around (you won't ever know they've been in there!) and then when they are finished they will give you a drug in your IV to wake you up...easy-peasy for me!! Your throat might be a little irritated after, but mine was not....the worst part for me was not eating or drinking after midnight before the surgery!! Best Wishes to you and I hope your's is easy-peasy as well!!! Melanie:)

Mine was also easy! I just kinda felt like I had a buzz for the rest of the day! Make sure you have someone to drive you home. Good luck...you will do just fine! :-)

Thanks ladies :) Probably the last "buzz" I'll have for a long long time! haha

mine was super easy too and I was FREAKED out about it. my blood pressure has never been that high to my knowledge as it was when I checked in for the endo! they got an IV going and they took me back and the Dr came in and told me a little about what they'd do. I remember them telling me to lean on my side and thinking to myself how was I going to keep myself propped up like that... the next I knew I was rolling over and looking at my mom in the prep area again!

Yup..simple...you're knocked..you wake up. You won't feel a thing..maybe a dry throat

It was so easy!!! I'm also relieved to have gotten over a lot of things - like seeing an or and being admitted to a hospital. It took care of a lot of my worries for my actual surgery.

I have my endoscopy on Tuesday. It's great to know that it'll be an easy procedure!

I'm having an endoscopy tomorrow. This thread makes me feel so much better. I've been freaking out.

Hey,

Not to scare you but I just had an endoscopy done and the "good drugs" were on back order so they gave a light sedative and it was the worst experience EVER. I would just recommend to ask them if there is any drug shortage or what they will be sedating with you. Normally they sedate with versed and fentanyl. I personally believe they didn't want to use large amounts of these drugs on me so they used diazapam instead because my 100lb friend went 1 week prior and she got "the good stuff". I am sure you will be fine, but I just thought I'd share my experience.

My surgeon used propofol (yes, the Michael Jackson drug). Instead of using two meds this only requires one. 10 minutes after the meds are stopped you wake up on your own. I was fine and didn't even get a sore throat. Make sure everything is clearly explained to you so you are

Comfortable. I'm still in shock by what a piece of cake it was!

Oh yes you can use propofol too! (I forgot) In MASS it needs to be administered by an anesthesiologist (which is BS because I administer it every day to animals, it is super safe just not when you abuse it, sorry MJ), and they didn't have one. So propoflo is fine too. Just make sure you aren't given just diazepam (valium) it makes for a seriously awful experience. I guess you could ask.. "am i going to be completely sedated for this procedure" and they will probably tell you something like twilight...blah blah... But then you could ask what drugs they use.

I'm still coughing from dry throat and my endo was last Monday. Easy as pie. My Dr. came in and talked to me and gave me pics from what he saw. I was given propofol. Came home and slept for 3 hours more. I was bordering a panic attack...the night before so that was make up lost sleeping time. Went to work the next day!

Thanks for all of the feedback. My endoscopy is tomorrow morning!

I just got back from my endoscopy and it really was a breeze. I'm feeling a bit out of it so I'm planning to take a nap to help these drugs wear off a bit. I'm thankful that I don't even have a sore throat.

I love having this site as a resource! Thanks everyone. :)