Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Question About Restriction!

So there have been loads of threads about how people feel full after 3 or 4 bites, and how that is normal when starting out.

There have also been threads where people say they can now eat half a cup, or sometimes even 1 cup of food before hitting restriction.

I have never actually felt restriction, and this worries me a bit. I've felt satisfaction (this is wonderful, because I never knew what satisfaction was about before the surgery!), but not exactly restriction.

When I have not eaten for too long, I sometimes start eating a bit too fast or don't chew as well as I should. On these occasions, I feel a bit of discomfort after swallowing the first few bites, and need to wait a few minutes before I continue. I believe this is caused by the fast displacement of air, rather than restriction, though. I can easily eat 3 to 4 ounces before feeling perfectly satisfied.

I can eat 1 egg with 1 oz of cheese easily. Sometimes, when my eyes are feeling bigger than my stomach, I might have 1 egg, plus 1 white, plus 1 oz of cheese. I inevitably end up feeling like I've eaten too much, but it's never painful and I never vomit. I just feel a little distended or "over satisfied" for lack of a better term.

What does this mean? I know it's also a bad habit, but sometimes if I've taken too much food onto my plate that I want to finish, I will wait about 45 min to an hour and then finish it. I usually feel like I'm, cheating somehow. I usually do this when the food is pre-measured and I've logged it, or when it's an excellent Protein source and I should eat it. Does anyone else do this?

This can vary on some many things, such as how far out from surgery you are, how much swelling is still in your sleeve (usually a good bit til 4-6 wks) bougie size, etc. But an egg and 1 oz cheese sounds normal to me. My restriction feels a lot as you described, more like satisfaction. I don't hurt or throw up either.

On the taking too much food onto your plate, wanting to finish and waiting 45 min to an hr then finish? It IS a way to cheat your sleeve, but only if you are eating carbs or junk. If it's high Protein and you've already logged it into your calories/protein count for the day, I don't think it could be detrimental to our weight loss. I've done this too, so I hope it's ok lol. We'll hopefully get other opinions on this.

:)

Oops, I forgot to mention that I am 5 months out! Thank you for reminding me.

I'm so glad that the egg plus cheese sounds like a normal meal for you! I've read that people on here 6 months out can eat about half an egg with some cheese. I've always wondered about it.

So just to be correct, you stop eating because you feel satisfied rather than you feel pukey or some sort of pain? If so, that helps me feel more normal!

I don't eat much junk, other than a little bit of chocolate here and there. I get a lot of carbs in, though, because I'm a vegetarian. So, most of my Proteins come from dairy products and lentils.

I have seen how easy it is to keep snacking throughout the evening without feeling the satisfaction or fullness, though. It's very dangerous! Even worse if there is whiskey involved. ;)

I think of restriction as not wanting or being able to any more and that the amount of food that it takes to get to that point is greatly reduced after surgery. Like Kelly has said as long as you are eating what is planned for, the amount of time isn't the issue but if you are eating something just because you're in the mood to eat, then you could be heading for trouble

I am also 5 months out, and also feel like I can eat way more than others on here, averaging about 3/4 - 1 cup at a meal. However, I make far more quality food choices than I ever did and my weight is steadily pouring off as I am still averaging about 10 pounds per month. My surgeon and I are both quite satisfied with this rate of loss (although he would like me to decrease to no more than 1/2 cup per meal). Don't be so hard on yourself about this. Your sleeve is very good at communicating when it is unhappy. Listen to your sleeve and listen to your body and I don't think you can go wrong.

it sounds like you do have restriction (1 egg and 1 ounce of cheese), you don't necessary have to throw up to be restricted by the sleeve.

I do think you should eat only 3 meals and do not stop and start eating. I agree you could be sabotaging your sleeve. you have to also avoid snacking. just stick to 3 meals, it sounds like your sleeve is letting you take the appropriate amount in, you just don't want to wait for it to empty and then take in more. that's how people gain back weight.

Also for veggies: have to tried tofu or other soy products to get your Protein in?

Fast Weight loss Online at the Weight Loss Center

2dc387a5d598905.png

my bougie is 28/32F and at 3 years out I still can only eat about 6 - 7 oz of food, drink 1/2 glass of liquid at one time, then i have to stop and wait. . . if i eat just one more bite of anything, forget it, here comes the slimes and that "I've overeatten feeling at thanksgiving" . . so I really guess it depends on bougie size here.

Shellyac, it's good to know that what I'm feeling is restriction! I don't often keep eating because I want to. Rather I eat even if I don't want to, to get in my full Proteins. Not in the sense that I will over stuff myself, but in the case where it is time for a meal, even though I may not be hungry.

Ducker, you and I are from the same surgeon! I was on the 31st of August, however. Interesting that we are in a similar position!

Fitforlife, I understand exactly what you're saying. I usually have about 3 to 4 meals a day, of which one is a Protein shake. I don't snack. I have seen how easy it is to snack, though, when I'm out at a bar and have a bowl of peanuts in front of me. It's scary and dangerous! I don't keep Snacks in the house.

I love tofu and tofu products, but am in India currently, where those items are not easily available. There are a few restaurants here that serve tofu, so I eat it maybe once a week. I look forward to coming back to California, where I have endless food options!

Thinoneday, how interesting! It seems I could drink endless amounts of Water at any given time. Not very fast, but endless.

I've only had the slimes once, and it was from drinking a Protein shake mixed in milk rather than Water. It was one of those times where I didn't want to drink after I finished half of it, and saved the other half to drink 30 min later. It was a very very bad idea.

I feel like I can eat way too much at times. For instance, one whole egg is not enough. I eat 2 whole eggs.< /p>