Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Pre-Op Phase For Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy

Hello,

I am a 31 year old wife and mother who works full time. I have been contemplating WLS for several years. I recently began to do some serious research and have decided that the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy is right for me. I feel that this is the right time in my life to make this life long change to be healthy and the best me I can be. I'm not only doing this for myself, but also for the benefit of my family. I know the journey will not always be easy, but I am confident that I can accomplish the goals I set. I have a strong faith and know that God will be with me during this process as He always has been through anything I have faced in my life. "He will never leave me nor forsake me." I also have a great support system in a very loving family and several close friends.

I have had my initial consultation with the Ohio State University Medical Center Bariatric Surgery program. I have turned in my initial paperwork and will have my Psych Evaluation this Thursday. After my Psych Evaluation, my file will be reviewed for final consideration by the program. If they consider me to be a good candidate, my file will be submitted to my insurance company for approval.

I am very excited for this process. I hope that everything goes smoothly, but I am prepared to do whatever it takes to be successful. I am thankful for groups and forums to learn from those who have blazed the trail ahead of me and to seek comradery in those who are on the journey now.

I look forward to meeting some great people here!

Hi,

You write with a positive attitude...which is a great thing. I am excited as well, but I have months to go before even the end of the phase.

A fellow Alumnus received her RNY through OSU Medical Program. That was several years ago and she has spoken with me and encouraged me as well. Much success to you and keep us updated.

~Lyn T.

Hi Lyn T,

Thanks for replying to my post. Being as positive as possible helps to make things better. Where are you in your journey? I am very lucky that my insurance company does not require the 6 month diet beforehand. That is VERY rare from what I hear.

I have heard lots of good things about the OSU program and I'm confident that I'll be in good hands. I look forward to hearing more about your journey.

-ReeseMae

I have to do the six month program. I don't mind in that I need to get things together and have time enough for my mom to make arrangements to come stay with me for at least a week.

I had my initial consult with the Surgeon and and I will see the Medical Dr. and Nutritionist on 2.27. That appointment marks my 1st month.

I will be believing God with you. I could not do this without relying on Him. My mind has turned 180 degrees regarding WLS. I still have an uneasiness because it is major surgery, but I'm still determined!

Congrats to all of you! So happy your going to be sleeved. This is the best thing that I have ever done, and believe me, I like looking at myself and taking care of me instead of others for once. I find that it helps me give more to my loved ones because I have become much more healthier both physically and emotionally. YaYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. ;)

ReeseMae, Congrats on making a life-changing decision for yourself! Research ,research, research. That's the key to being comfortable with your surgeon and your surgery.

It's wonderful that you don't have a six month pre-op. I see lots of folks who DO have to jump through those hoops, so you're very lucky.

Good luck and please let us know how things go. :)

ReeseMae,

Let me offer my congratulations also on making such a positive choice to change your life style and get healthier. I too comtemplated WLS for several years, and just couldn't seem to "get off the dime" and move forward with it. I finally got up my nerve and things seemed to go so smoothly after that.

I prayed about the surgery for a long time, seeking the Lord's will for my life. I am convinced that He would not have us continue to live an unhealthy life style if it is within our power to become healthier!

My surgery date was June 18 of last year, so I am about 8 months post op now. I am so thrilled with my results. My cholesterol is now normal, my blood pressure is normal, my blood sugar is normal, and (big surprise!) my allergies have improved! I have been able to go off all the medications I needed for the above mentioned conditions, plus have quit taking my anti-inflammatory medication, as my joints no longer hurt/ache. What a blessing!

I am now down about 100 pounds. (Some days it is 98, some days it is 101 pounds. Depends on how hydrated I am, whether I have been really active the day before, etc.) But average, am down 100 pounds. I have gone from wearing a size 26/28 top to a 12/14. My pant size has gone from 22/24 to a size 8. (I love to say that so much, I'm going to say it again, I wear a size 8 jeans!)

But looking better is just the (tasty) frosting on the cake! I love the fact that I am now healthier than I have been in years! I know that I will live longer as a result.

Some days I get frustrated, as I love to cook and bake. And I know that I can't eat much (if any) of the things I bake. I love to make Cookies, cakes, pies, breads, etc. Also love to try new recipes, love to entertain and WOW my friends with a gourmet meal. And some times I sort of lament that I can't enjoy unlimited quantities of what I make. But I know that is the trade off for improving my health and looking better! And when I am honest with myself, it is a minimal trade off to feel so much better.

One other thing I have to say, you have THE MOST BEAUTIFUL eyes! Your picture just glows! And your eyes are So attractive. Congratulations on making a decision to make the rest of you as beautiful as your eyes!

Can't wait to welcome you to The Loser's Bench!

Thank you everyone for your very encouraging words. I value the advice from those who have traveled the road ahead of me. I currenlty wear a size 26/28 and cannot wait to say that I am no longer "plus sized". However, at this point, I can't see myself as not being a "big girl". I can't see getting under a 14 or 16. I hope I don't lose too much! I love my curves and so does my husband. But, most importantly, I want to be healthy regardless of my dress size or the number on the scale. I want to be able to run effortlessly after my energetic boys. I can chase and run with them now, but I tire quicker than I'm comfortable with. I attribute being able to run after them to being fairly young, but I want to enjoy life to the fullest quality. Before I know it, 10 or 20 years will be gone and my youth will be fading. I want to take action now!

I am very concerned about the emotional journey that is so very importatnt in all of this. I want to be as prepared as possible, but I know that I can't prepare for everything. I'm sure there will be things I will have to address head on when they meet me. I think I'm up for the challenge, but want to be realistic at the same time. I think coming to forums such as this one is a huge benefit. Being able to hear from and share the experience with others who actually understand is invaluable. Sometimes it's hard to be vulnerable, especially to those you don't know, but in the end it makes for a richer life, in my opinion.

Thanks again to you all! I look forward to getting to know you all. And Helen, thank you for such kind words. That was definitely a bright spot in my day!

ReeseMae :heart: :heart: