Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help, I've Fallen & Can't Get Up!

I fell yesterday and couldn't get up! I tripped outside my apartment on the edge of a sidewalk and down I went. I fell hard on the concrete. Purse and contents flying. I managed to roll over to my side and get my phone to call my husband to come and get me. We had just gotten home and he had gone upstairs to our apartment while I went to check the mail. I fell about 6 feet from our stairwell. My husband came running down the stairs to get me. I'm a mess crying and in pain. Poor guy tries to pick me up, but there's no way. I weigh 170 lbs more than him (that's scary to see written). I was so embarrassed to be out in front of God & everyone and not be able to get up. Seriously? How did I let myself get like this? More proof I need this surgery to help me lose weight. Never again. I will never let myself be this heavy again. A fall like this in a few years at this weight could put me in the hospital. I'll be fine by the way. I'm just bruised and battered and can barely move. My pride is hurt more than anything. :redface:

I can't wait to have surgery! Finally got all my paperwork to the surgeon and am just waiting for them to call me for an appointment.

I hope and pray they call me Monday. :toetap05:

Aww I'm sorry that happened! Pain and embarrassment both hurt!

I go in for my pre-op tomorrow and start my one week pre-op diet and my surgery will be in one week on feb 13th!

I too can't wait! I am self pay so this has gone very fast for me, less than 4 weeks from consultation to surgery! (with all the other pesky visits and so on in between)! I was highly motivated to say the least.

I'm glad you'll be free of the weight soon too! How liberating it'll be right?

Good luck to you and be careful on those steps!:)

This happened to me a few years ago in front of my house. Only no one was around to help! I had to crawl to the stairs to use them to help me get up. This has been a real fear of mine for years. I am so frightened to walk in the winter for fear I'll slip on ice!

I just got surgery 11/14 and am doing great. Hopefully by next winter I'll only be afraid of falling because of my age and not my weight!!

So sorry you had to experience this scare of falling. Thank God your hubby was near to help you. Congrats on all your accomplishments toward scheduling the procedure, I can't wait until I see an update on your progress. ;)

God bless you and indeed take this as a wake up call. Sooner than you think, this will all be behind you.

Oooohhhhh do I understand that feeling! 5 years ago, before my WLS, I was walking out to the trash can to bring the trash to the curb for pickup, well i slipped and fell right onto the driveway. . .and at 350 lbs you can imagine the crash down. . .well up until now I still have no feeling in my left knee because of the nerves damage that happened with that fall. I have been to several doctors and each says that there is nothing that can be done, that it will heal in time. . . yup they are right, slowly but surely the feeling is coming back. . but it feels consistently asleep and of course I can not go down on that knee anymore even since i've lost 150lbs. . . it's terrible when we fall, both thin or overweight. . . so i can totally relate. . be glad you didn't tumble down those stairs! that would take you straight to the hospital i'm sure. . .

let us know about your news with the surgery! i'll keep my fingers, toes, and everything else crossed for you! good luck!

Back in 2008, I fell down a flight of basement stairs, 17 total and broke 10 ribs, was in the hospital for two weeks, 3 of those days in icu and then in the rehab hospital for two weeks and to this day am still scared to death of falling in the winter. It is hard when you fall if you are thin or big but I think it's more embarrassing when you are big. I go for my info seminar this coming Saturday and can't wait to get my journey started. I am so ready for this!!! I figure if I can make it through the pain of 10 broken ribs, I can make it through this. Good luck to you and please keep us posted as to how you are doing.

Happened to me too - although I was jusy getting down on my knees to do something and found I lacked the strength to get back up. I had to crawl over to a desk, open a drawer and crawl up the side to get back upright. It was just another low point that prompted me to get this surgery.

As long as we're sharing, there were a LOT of embarrassing wake up calls. The times where I had to request a table because I couldn't slide into a booth. Having to struggle to get up off the ground when sitting there (I looked funny getting up). Tripping and not being able to catch myself correctly (I fell real good in front of too many witnesses). While exploring old mines (Yes, I'm weird), having to have people push my ass up a six foot verticle piece of shoring while another person pulled from the top. Even now I can just jump and pull myself. Tested that one out just yesterday.

One thing I cannot abide is being pathetic and helpless. That I suppose is one of my issues, but I understand the pain and indignity all too well. Trust us, It's going to be great! Any post-op annoyances are going to be NOTHING. Six weeks maybe of a restricted diet, some gas, some time to get used to to new sleeve and how to eat properly and then the pounds start melting off.

Two summers ago I was helping my daughter strip wall paper and paint the 14 room house that she and her husband had just purchased. (Is an old Victortian house, beautiful, but badly needed redecorating!) Every single room was wall papered and needed to be stripped. I was up and down the ladder about 500 times a day. By the end of the day my legs hurt SO badly! Finally one day I fell getting off the ladder. Since they weren't living in the house yet, I was working there alone (daughter Sarah and hubbie were working all day long). I couldn't get up and laid on the floor for over three hours till Sarah came over after work to check on me. The ladder fell when I did, and there was nothing in the room to help me pull myself up. I was SO embarassed and I hurt terribly! I was laid up for almost two weeks getting over the contusions and abrasions. To add insult to injury, we put up new wall paper in a couple of rooms, and I have always laid it on the floor when I put the paste on it, I couldn't get down on the floor and then back up again with the wall paper. Had to hire one of the grandkids to help me pick up the wall paper off the floor AFTER I managed to pick myself up each time (a very laborious process at the time!). SO EMBARASSING! Am so thrilled to be rid of 100 pounds of fat, and able to get up and down off the floor time after time with NO PROBLEM at all today!!!!

I fell down my basement stairs and injured several vertebra in my back... then 3 months later, I slipped on ice in my front walk and broke my foot because all my weight landed on it... So, I understand... I don't regret surgery at all.. even though it's not easy at all!!! It's so worth it!!

I fell yesterday and couldn't get up! I tripped outside my apartment on the edge of a sidewalk and down I went. I fell hard on the concrete. Purse and contents flying. I managed to roll over to my side and get my phone to call my husband to come and get me. We had just gotten home and he had gone upstairs to our apartment while I went to check the mail. I fell about 6 feet from our stairwell. My husband came running down the stairs to get me. I'm a mess crying and in pain. Poor guy tries to pick me up, but there's no way. I weigh 170 lbs more than him (that's scary to see written). I was so embarrassed to be out in front of God & everyone and not be able to get up. Seriously? How did I let myself get like this? More proof I need this surgery to help me lose weight. Never again. I will never let myself be this heavy again. A fall like this in a few years at this weight could put me in the hospital. I'll be fine by the way. I'm just bruised and battered and can barely move. My pride is hurt more than anything. :redface:

I can't wait to have surgery! Finally got all my paperwork to the surgeon and am just waiting for them to call me for an appointment.

I hope and pray they call me Monday. :toetap05:

SZ!!! I'm so sorry that happened to you! :( Sometimes its the wackiest things that happen to us that helps us realize we do need the help, and if like yourself are already in the process of having surgery, just makes us want it all the more and FASTER!!

On the bright side, I'm glad to hear you're simply waiting for the surgeon to call you... which should be any time now. Hoorahh!!