Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Since my surgery I can’t finish any meal I eat and I waste a lot of food. I have had to start re-programming my brain to not have to clean my plate at every meal. I feel bad when I eat something and don’t want it any more and I throw it away. I have started making the smallest serving size possible so I will waste less and feel like I have accomplished finishing a meal. Has anyone else had these issues?

I think this is a pretty common reaction. I found myself getting some really tiny plastic (Glad type) refrigerator dishes to save my leftovers. I also really try to focus cooking things that are good for more than one meal or just cooking enough for one meal. I serve myself only what I can eat on my small plate (saucer) at one time. If that means one ounce of something, I will put one ounce on the plate. If I have room for another ounce, I will serve myself another ounce. This has the benefit of slowing down my eating, and makes me very conscious of how much I am eating.

I also find myself ordering things at restaurants that will be good to take home in a to-go box for another meal or two.

Good Luck!

Sharon

This was my biggest thing to overcome and realizing that showed how much I was really over eating just to not waste anything. Its just something I've come to expect now...at least we have plenty of leftovers!

I feel the same way. I looked in my fridge this morning and I have all sorts of leftovers of stuff I haven't finished. I've thrown out a lot and will have to do a fridge clean out today because I just can't eat all of those leftovers before they go bad. But I suppose we'll get more in tune with exactly how much to make so that there isn't so muhc waste.

In my first weeks I was straining a lot of progresso Soups and throwing out the chunky part. That was hard... I'm still spending so much less on groceries its crazy.

I save everything in little tupperwares. I am not able to throw good food away. I plan my menuus out so that meat cooked for dinner goes into lunch the next day. I don't cook something new until I've finished the leftovers. Cottage cheese and yogurt are easy. Just take 1/4 cup out.

The chunky part of the Soup could be frozen and pureed or used when the time comes. I've got chicken breast and gravy, 4 types of pureed Soup and crock pot beef stew frozen in mini tupperwares for use as needed.

What I learned from Eggface is that leftovers can be revamped into something else for the next day. She does these little quiche things that use leftover meats and cheese. They can also be casseroled or used as toppings for pizza (crust is low carb wheat tortillas).

The cool part of all this small portions is that I can afford beef fillet mignon, sashimi grade ahi and lobster for the amount I eat. YAY!!!!

Better in the trash than on the hips :)

I am still stuck in liquids, but I have discussed this with my Hubby. He is just going to cook like he is cooking for one, since I will be eating so little. We keep tons of green fruits and veggies due to our preferences, and our flemmish giant rabbits, so I will be able to pick and choose for that.

Another idea to kick around is the better markets, like Central market (div. of HEB) They have mad selections of Soups and a full deli and much more, and you buy as little or as much as you want. I went through the other day with the intention of buying lunch, and by the time I had tried some pestoes and hummus and pommada (spell that right?), and soups and sauces I was full. lol.

I have chickens (3 hens and a rooster) and cats, so if they beg pathetically enough, I will share leftovers.

My girls lay the best eggs ever so whatever lefovers go in, I get what comes out in egg goodness! The cats however are mostly useless in that respect ;-)