Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am a 47 year old male. I'd pretty much settled on having the sleeve surgery. I thought I was prepared for what lies ahead (diet change, surgery pain, lifestyle change, etc). Then today I was reading some threads on hair loss! Is this true? I should expect the hair on my head to fall out? What is the reason for this? Wouldn't supplements replace any of the nutrients my body will not be getting post op? This might be a deal breaker for me. I am a VERY private person and I do not intend on telling anyone other than close family that I will be getting bariatric surgery. I just can't imagine the stares and questions from co-workers and friends when I lose a large amount of weight and my hair is falling out. The weight questions are one thing, the Hair loss in another. People will think I have cancer or some other communicable disease. Thoughts anyone

hair falls out after anesthesia no matter what surgery you have- and then after this particular surgery it continues if you do not supplement your diet/vitamins correctly. It doesnt fall out in clumps or chunks- sometimes it doesnt even happen. Personally I have had progressive Hair loss for years mostly due to a thyroid condition; after thyroid cancer, having it removed, lap band- having it removed and then having the sleeve done- I am thankful I started with a full head of thick hair- I still have a full head of hair and it isnt as thick as it used to be but NO one can notice unless I say something. I also started taking Biotin years ago and take 1000mg a day- which a lot of people swear by-.

I would not let a few strands of hair loss interfere with your life/whole body changing experience at all.. It is a very trivial side effect if you ask me.

Hair loss is typically caused by lack of nutrients. If you maintain your Protein and take your Vitamins, hair loss will be little to non-existant. Its not a permanent thing - Also, not all of your hair falls out - its just more than normal. You don't end up with globs that come out or wake up with tons of hair on your pillow. Its not like a chemo patient. You tend to notice more hair in your hairbrush and in the shower drain. Women seem to notice it more than men because we tend to have longer hair.

I am losing my hair left and right. Just tell them you are on the Atkins diet and it could be one of the side effects. I said this before, and I will say it again...I was crying everyday like my life was about to end because I was a big fatty. I have shed almost 100 pounds and probably 1/2 my hair and have not cried once. I AM A BIG CRY BABY. No one will notice unless you live with someone, but you probably have shorter hair.

the shorter your hair as a guy, the less noticable it is if its thinning.

I had my surgery 12/15/11 - i have not lost any hair, and many many people do not lose any hair

I hope the possibility of Hair loss does not prevent you from having WLS.

I think the prospect of losing weight is more important than maybe losing a little hair, what do you think?

kathy

I am 8/5 months out and I make an effort to always get the recommended Water, Vitamins, and Protein. I snack here and there, but mostly eat on plan: Protein first, then vegetable or a little fruit, then a little starch.

My hair started thinning around 3.5 months, but no one except my hairdresser has commented on it. I am expecting regrowth to start soon, based on what others have reported.

One nice thing: your head will be smaller so the hair has less to cover :-)

Lynda

It seems as if we have all learned something different about the hair loss.This is what I learned from my surgeon. He says that hairloss is completely hormonal. Therefore, it really doesn't happen to men. He said that Drs. used to think it was Protein, or trauma from surgery, etc. He says the new thinking is that is a hormonal change in your body causing you to lose hair, much like a woman does after she gives birth. He says that hormones are stored in fat cells. As we lose weight our horomnes change. He also believes this to be true because he has performed the surgery over 1,000 times and it is mostly women that lose their hair. So, if you are a man I wouldn't worry too much. Any Hair loss would probably just be regular male patterend baldness that would have happened if you had the surgery or not.

As a side note, I was very worried about losing my hair. I have VERY thin hair. I didn't think my head could stand to lose hair, I started obsessing over it before surgery. It happened, my hair started massively falling out around three months. It is slowing down now. I don't regret the surgery at all. I got a new hairstyle that masks the hair loss a bit. But being skinny with pretty thin hair is WAY better than being fat with more hair.

Good luck to you!

Thank you to everyone that replied. I feel a much more comfortable aqbout the surgery.

I never had any Hair loss after surgery, so I don't think it's something that happens to everybody!

I was SO worried about the Hair loss issue that I actually bought a wig that looks just like my normal hair/cut. I do see some extra hair in the shower, but I can't really tell it on my head. What's bugging me is that all of my hair (under the color) is now coming in gray! :( However, I remember that my grandmother was almost completely gray in her late 40's or early 50's and it looked great on her. Maybe I should just let mine grow in that way. NOT!! :)

Please don't let this be a deal breaker for you! The benefits far outweigh the risks. I'm like you in that only my hubby and one close friend will ever know. Some people lose a little to none and it grows back!! Very rare that people lose a lot. Plus I have heard that it grows back thicker for some. You lose it because the rate you lose weight the supplements are not enough. If you lose weight slower you are less likely to lose hair. My surgery is in 2 days. I will let you know. It is worth it to me. I have diabetes and can't wait to stop the meds!

I understand your concern, as I had it also. Getting healthy is far more important than some hair loss. most likley, if you do experience some Hair loss, only you will even notice. it will grow back if it happens to you. I've made goal, and no hair loss to date. I think I got lucky.

Best of luck to you!

At my 3 month post op the PA told me that I would be losing hair at this point. He was right. My hair is now coming out. He did say that 30% of my hair may fall out. That's alot of hair. But it will grow back around 9 months. SO, I can live with my thinning hair. I am taking Biotin 10,000mcg (10mg) and silica to support my Hair growth, skin, and nails. Please don't let this Detour you. You have come this far, so please keep proceeding.

By the way, I wouldn't worry about what other's are thinking about your weight loss or Hair loss, it's none of their business and the only thing that matters is how you feel about yourself. To be honest, your going to feel great and happy. Be proud of your sleeve, it's a tool that helps you get healthier. You are fantastic! Hope you continue to choose the SLEEVE so that you can soon ROCK IT! ;)