Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

Just some thought I was having.

Are you feeling deprived when it comes to eating? When I first had WLS and got through the toughest part—the first month. I thought oh my gosh; I am NEVER going to be able to eat like I used to eat. I actually moaned the loss of this food— but,not for long when the weight stated coming off. And thank goodness I couldn’t ever eat like I used to—this was the purpose of the weight loss surgery. These are stages that you may go through.barf.gif

What I want you to know is 3 ½ years later I NEVER feel deprived. I also learned at least for me, just knowing that I could have a few bites of something or to be able to just taste it really met my desires and needs. So each of us have different ways that we learn to eat our meals in a healthy way. For me I always try to get my Protein in 1st, then the veggies, fresh or frozen, and a small amount of fruit. Now if I want some kind of desert, I have learned to make some that I can have—no sugar, and low carb, and it really tastes good. For the ones that I can’t eat a lot of because of all the calories in them, I just have a sliver of it, or 2 small bites and savor the taste of it in my mouth for a little bit—I don’t swallow it right away; I enjoy it. I do not inhale the desert, I let my mouth and tongue savor the texture and how it feels in my mouth. So this is what works for me and why I never feel deprived.clap.gif

Let’s talk about food and how you deal with it. It is very important that you keep track of what you put in your body. I would love to hear how you handle things that you eat and if you feel deprived or not?heehee.gif

I know for so many considering WLS the main thing other than the cost of the surgery, is you just area’t willing to give up some foods. To me that is an addiction to food. You do have to make some healthy food choices to be successful at WLS and to maintain your weight loss. But, it really isn't’t that hard because you have a restriction and you will be eating small amounts of food.biggrin2.gif

Please don’t allow these things to control your life. Take your control back along with the thought of being healthy and feeling comfortable in your own body for the first time in a long time.

Ask us questions about food, and any other things that you are thinking about that are stopping you from having Weight Loss Surgery. blushing.gif

You too can be a success story. We are all regular people on here who have fought the same battles with weight as most of you have. It requires work and effort on your part—but ask yourself “area’t you worth the effort?” Start making your dreams come true. NEVER give up on yourself and put yourself FIRST!!!!heart.gif

We are here to answer your questions and support you all the way.Dr. Aceves was my doctor and he is the very best you can find any place to do your surgery. I highly recommend him. Please ask any questions that you might have. cool2.gif

Hugs,

Suzanne

Sleeved 10/21/2008

Lost 105 pounds

This is a really great post. :) At 3 weeks out, I don't feel deprived. I have felt a bit overwhelmed at times because of how everything has changed forever. Each day I am getting more and more used to my new "normal". I can imagine at your stage it probably feels really comfortable.

I was the same starting weight as you and I would love to be just as successful! :)

This is a really great post. :smile1: At 3 weeks out, I don't feel deprived. I have felt a bit overwhelmed at times because of how everything has changed forever. Each day I am getting more and more used to my new "normal". I can imagine at your stage it probably feels really comfortable.

I was the same starting weight as you and I would love to be just as successful! :smile1:

Hi,

You have the right attitude. It goes in stages and you do actually mourn the loss of the food. But, I promise you that each day it gets a lot better. After the 1st month is over, you will have some new experiences.

Listen to these words and remember when you start eating real food. TAKE TINY BABY BITES and chew, and chew and chew and chew until the food is like liquid when you swallow it. I know it sound easy, but that was the hardest thing for me to learn to do. For most of my life I took big bites and talked and shoveled the food in my mouth and hardly chewed it up. That is a the biggest learning curve you will have. And it takes FOREVER at first to eat food because you are chewing forever.

You will be just as successful and I am, I know you want it bad enough. I am always here if you have any questions or are struggling along the way with anything.

Hugs,

Suzanne

I'm only almost a week out, but I don't feel deprived. Mostly because I have zero hunger, but secondly because I feel amazingly blessed to have this real chance for permanent change. I'm filled with excitement everyday.

I'm only almost a week out, but I don't feel deprived. Mostly because I have zero hunger, but secondly because I feel amazingly blessed to have this real chance for permanent change. I'm filled with excitement everyday.

Hi, it will just keep getting better and better. And YES this is the chance that you have waited for. You will lose the weight and it will stay off.This will be a new adventure for you and you will never have any regrets EVER!

I feel deprived sometimes-but only because I was addicted to Pepsi. So I really miss that. And I know that if I even had one drink it would be all downhill from there.

It's kinda wierd tho-I haven't really allowed myself to be deprived of foods I love, so that isn't an issue. What's weird is that I sometimes feel deprived over the small amount I can eat of something that I love.

For example tonight we had chicken fajitas. Now I used to eat 4 tortillas worth. Now I have one, and have to stop about 2/3 of the way through. That's when I feel deprived. My head is thinking how good that fajita tastes and how I really want to eat more because it was so good. But my stomach is saying-"Take one more bite and you'll be sorry!"

I'm GLAD that my stomach wins out. Otherwise I probably wouldn't lose any weight. I guess I just miss the enjoyment of eating. Does that make sense?

I am so grateful that I don't feel deprived... I enjoyed your post because it was a reminder to enjoy the journey... I get a lot of anxiety about calories, carbs, and protein... LOL... sometimes, I just wish I could NOT eat!!! However, I don't regret my decision to get sleeved at all!!!

I thought that I would feel terribly deprived, but I haven't. What I have experienced is almost shock at how quickly I'm losing inches and pounds. At this point, I'm running out of clothes, and am having to replace them. I can't believe how well the sleeve is working. Besides, my main trigger was always full-fat cheeses, and with Laughing Cow Light and Babybell Light, I can indulge without screwing myself up.

I also thought I would feel deprived. But anything I want I have- occasionally..... And a very tiny portion. I love my sleeve!

hi suzanne! i'm going into my 3rd year as well and like you, i don't feel deprived at all. . . i can eat whatever i feel like only in tiny amounts. i still have tons of restriction with my 28/32f bougie (start sliming at 7+ oz) and the only thing i can't do without feeling like i'm going to die is lettuce, but that is ok, never did like lettuce anyhow, so that is not a great loss to me. . . i've lost a great amount of weight and feel so much better now. . i've added a few more years onto my life i'm sure. . . i can do so many things now that i could never do before at 350lbs. . . people don't stare and comment under their breath anymore. . . i'm just an "ordinary" person now in a "ordinary world. . . lovin my life and proud of it!

This is a great post and a great inspiration sstory to others who may be having doubts!