Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgeon gave me the script for my B12 injections, and I got it filled, but I'm not sure when I'm supposed to use it? I know it's a monthly thing but how soon after surgery do I need it? I'm 9 days post op.

Very curious about your question and the replies as there has been no mention of B12 injections from my doc.

Check with your surgeon...... I take B12 chewables as it is easier to take an extra pill than to bother with shots.

I was told by my Dr to do the sublingual (underneath the tongue) B12 pills, 500 MCG starting at week 4. You can get these at CVS. I have been taking them and seem to be doing okay. I haven't heard of the injections. I wonder if your Dr would think that is okay?

I haven't heard of the injections. I wonder if your Dr would think that is okay?

Vance - I appreciate the concern! My surgeon had to write me the script to get the B12 and gave me a tutorial in the office on how to do it. It's just a once a month injection in my belly or wherever I choose to put it. I'm just not sure when I should start it.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant to say, I wonder if your Dr would think the sublingual B12 pills would be okay instead of the injections. I would hate to have to get myself shots. :eek3: I would ask your Dr when he wants you to start. Mine said week 4 but all Dr's seem to say different things. :) Hope everything is going well for you!

My Dr didn't want me to start the B12 until one month post op. They gave me the shot at my one month appt and I'll do the rest. I requested the shots because I would much rather do it once a month than have to remember it every day. I don't have such a good track record with my other Vitamins and this is an important one.

I take the BEST B-12. It's a chewable, so you could have it sooner than later. I think my surgeon started me on Vitamins beyond Finstones about 6-8 weeks out from surgery. It's a lemon flavored chewable by Jarrow labs. I get them at Whole Foods. I use a pill cutter to cut them in half - supposed to take 1 every other day but I'd never remember that way. Just got my labs done and my B12 is perfect!

My surgeon immediately had me on sub-lingual B12. I got the 2500 mcg one so I only take it once or twice a week.

Shots and sublingual are best because the B12 cannot be absorbed well in the stomach. Putting inder the tongue gets it directly into the blood stream by the blood vessels under the tongue. Let it disolve slowly,

I talked to my Doctor in length about the B-12 because it is very important. I take 1 2500 mcg sub-lingual ( under the tongue) every day. They are very inexpensive and can be bought at Wal-Mart, Sams or any pharmacy. I started these 1 month post op and have taken them every day since. I have my blood work every 3 months due to my Diabetes. Even though I am not on any medication any longer, including diabetic medication, I really watch my Vitamins and minerals. You cannot overdose on B-12 and it has so many uses in the body. I was told that sub-lingual was the way to go ( if you do not want injections) because our new stomachs do not produce enough acid to absorb pills or chewables. Normally injections are only given to people at first if they are severely deficient in B-12 and then they are switched to sublingual.< /p>

I take my Vitamin B12 daily. I guess that I will have to call and ask about that as I see some of you are only taking it once a week it seems. Just wondering how much I actually need.

I use to get a B12 injection once a month.

My surgeon gave me 3 options for B12: sublingual tablets, nasal spray once per week, or injection once per month. I originally wanted to do the spray but I have been using the tablets. I can't say that I notice a huge difference though, so I may need to try the spray or the injections for a higher dosage.

My niece had a by-pass 8 years ago, and even though she has taken a sub-lingual B-12 every day, she was diagnosed with extreme anemia. It takes quite a while to become B-12 deficient, but I was deficient before my sleeve. I'm doing a weekly injection. Tomorrow, I have my 7-week follow-up. I'll ask the surgeon about the injections.