Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

I hope I got this right..trying to change my weight on my ticker..url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wpm6iKh/]

weight.png

trying again..Carol WA

weight.png

The meeting was great! I learned so much! I just don't know where to start! How in the world do you decide what you want off first. . . baggy chin, baggy tummy, baggy arms, baggy legs, baggy butt, baggy back. . . so much baggy and so little money!

seriously I really like this guy and I liked his approach. I don't know if I have the patience to wait a year after losing all this weight but I figure my face has lost it the fastest and that's the part everyone sees eveyday so I think I will start there next fall. It will have been a year and a half since my surgery then and since I am over 50 I think it is the most necessary for my self-esteem. I don't want to look 26 again but I do want to be the best looking 52 year old I can be!

Has anyone met any other plastic surgeons around the Puget sound area that they like?

I agree. I thought it was a great meeting. He seemed very down to earth and very approachable. Not at all arogant. YEAH!! Lots of good info. It would be hard to wait for a year after weight stabilization! I do see his point though.

My husband is not too thrilled with any of it. Its a cost thing with him so we'll just have to wait and see.

It was a great turn out last night. It would be nice to see that many people for our regular meetings.

Hi friends!

YES! The meeting was superb! I had told him at his open house last week to expect us to grill him....and we sure did! He was a very good sport! Nice guy! Might have him do some face work. We'll see.

I am still having Dr. Oh do my tummy in April, however. He seems to think it's appropriate for what I have and where I am. So I'm going for it. And if my skin shrinks more.....yippee!

Merrillee

Mer - i am excited for you and can't wait to see the results. Thanks for being the test sample for the rest of us! Is Oh a lot cheaper?

Hi Wendy,

I have a feeling that some PS's may be wanting us to wait the 6 or more months because they are afraid we are going to gain back weight.....isn't that a little biased? Prejudiced? The PS that does the folks on Big Medicine says that you SHOULD see a PS when you are about 20 lbs from goal to plan plastics. So!

As for money! Dr. Oh is probably a little more that what Dr. Chen said. It's about $11,000. Probably because it's done in the hospital with an overnite stay. BUT I think I prefer that for obvious reasons.

Merrillee

Mer - will insurance pick up any of it if you are having skin problems such as rashes and such? What did Oh say about that?

My insurance doesn't cover anything to do with obesity surgery in any way so I doubt it but I will check in to what it says about PS. I bet you are so excited about this! I can't imagine a flat stomach with no folds at the bottom.

Hey Wendy and ALLL!!!!

We are starting a new support group here in Gig Harbor at Borders books, Thursdays at 7:00 pm. I've been hanging up fliers around town and stuff. So if you can...Y'ALL Come!

Merrillee

:rolleyes2:I have been to two different support groups since the beginning of the month and I am very impressed the people and the genuine caring that I felt.

I started with the Silverdale group on the first Sunday and met three wonderful ladies, Kelly, Donna, and Brenda. They all openly discussed what they had been through and the progress they made since banding. They were very encouraging and I felt quite at home. Thank you ladies.

Last Wednesday evening, I went to the Port Orchard support group (about 15 people) and I can only say I was overwhelmed. As is typical of a group like that, we began by introducing ourselve to the group. As I was two thirds of the way around the table from the first person it was a while before it was my turn. I would guess that each person took about five minutes to introduce themselves and tell us where she (all ladies in the first 2/3rds, but one other man in the last third) was in her journey. When they got to me and I told them I was not banded yet the response was fantastic. Every one was helpful and I got so much information, that as I said above I was overwhelmed. I know that they spent almost a half hour just making me feel welcome and filling me full of encouragement and helpful advice. I wish my wife had been able to be there to hear what was said.

I had insurance questions that were addressed. I am almost 69 years old and because of that Medicare is by definition my primary and my Federal BC/BS is an excellent secondary. Good news/bad news ugh.

:cursing:Do you know that if I was 64 years 11 months and 15 days old I could have the surgery before my 65th birthday almost anywhere. But because I am over 65 the private clinics will not even talk to me and the one provider I talked to who was Medicare approved told me the waiting list was over two years long. I could be dead by then. Of course, if I did private pay, I could have the band by next week.

For the first time in my life, I really feel discriminated against! One clinic actually told me that I would have to sign an agreement not to submit the bill to Medicare after they found out I was over 65. I called BC/BS to see what they could do and was told that the clinic could not legally require me to sign such an agreement and that what I did with the bill once I paid it was my business. BC/BS told me to get it done, submit the bill to Medicare and after Medicare denies most of the claim, I should send it to BC/BS which will pay the balance under the rules for secondary insurance providers. This is exactly what two of the ladies in Port Orchard told me to do as it was what they had done (obviously with a different clinic).

Help. help, help! Who else has felt age discrimination and what happened. I know we all have felt another kind of discrimination and are working hard to overcome it.

Thanks and blessings to you all

Chuck Howerton <- in Sequim

Chuck - welcome and good luck on the insurance thing. I wasn't covered by any obesity surgery on my insurance . . .they would rather pay for all the medicine that I took every month and all the doctor visits I made for those med checks. By the way, the only thing I take now is Vitamins. I had to self-pay even though I am saving them hundreds of dollars a month now.

You might get some age advice on the age threads that are age specific. I just started reading up on the 50's group and it has been helpful.

It looks like almost everyone on this thread had St. Francis. Does anyone have any stories about lose skin from the Olympia area? I'd love to know who around here does skin removal and spacificly deals with lots of extra skin. My stomach gets lower every day. I know I have to wait until my wt is stable but I will need to save some cash. I hear the ps is more painfull than the band surgery and longer recovery. Id like to know how much time to be off work too.