Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any one in NW WA

Hi Everyone, I am new to this group. I just found out on Friday that my surgery will be on March 27, 2008. I am seeing Dr. Hunter with Virginia Mason. Has anyone else had him as a surgen? Also does anyone have any recommendations on what type of items I should buy to prepare myself for surgery (ie things I may need after surgery)?

Thank you

well, my band is in and I am so thrilled with it..I am down 21 pounds since I started to explore the band. I am still having trouble getting the Water down..but will keep slugging along. I had shoulder pain for six days and boy that was the only pain I had that I can say was unbearable. On Wednesday I will be through my two weeks of liquids will be up and then me and my magic bullet will become best friends. :)

When I had my gall bladder out several years ago, my doctor believed if a woman had excess tummy flesh from childbearing, then she deserved a free tummy tuck..so I have a flat tummy and hopefully with going to Curves again I will keep the rest tighter..but I do suffer from roman shade thighs! :smile2:... but I can live with that cause my blood sugar has been in the normal range and I have not had my diabetes meds or pain pills since 3 days post op. well better close. Carol WA

banded 2-14-08

potatie - welcome and congratulations on you decision to band. I think there are threads at the beginning of the site that talks about the actual surgery and recovery. It seems like a distant memory, kind of like labor, once it's over it doesn't seam like it was that bad. . .

Potatie...

Welcome!

Most Docs have pre-band education that includes what you'll be eating and meds to have on hand.

Couple things off the top of my head:

*Broth (Better Than Bullion s really good)

*SF Jello

*SF Popsicles

*Liquid Tylenol (Adult)

*Gas X (or similar)

*Heating pad (really good on tummy or sholder pain)

*SF candies (Lifesaver's Wintergreen really refresh the mouth)

*Protien drinks (Champion Nutrition chocolate is my Fave)

*Magic Bullet (blending drinks & Food...a MUST!)

I highly recommend getting involved in a support group, even before your surgery. There's nothing like getting support and advise from real life banders, you obviously understand that, that's why you're here.

Congrats on Your decision, you won't regret it!!!

Sue

Hey Wendy and ALLL!!!!

We are starting a new support group here in Gig Harbor at Borders books, Thursdays at 7:00 pm. I've been hanging up fliers around town and stuff. So if you can...Y'ALL Come!

Merrillee

Mer...

I'm always up for more support...maybe I just like to talk alot...who knows, but it all keeps my spirits/motivation up. Are you meeting every week? My son has a swim team awards party this Thurs, and my sweet boy told me "I know how important your group is too you, you don't have to come to the party." I quickly told him that group is very important to me, but he's even more important...big smile from my boy. I'll have to try for the next one.

Sue

Hi Sue! (AND ALL!)

Thanks so much for supporting my support group efforts. Next week is fine! You go be with your boy!!!!! It's every Thursday for now.

I am working on getting support group leader certification through obesityhelp.com.....I should have it all done this weekend. They have lots of good info and materials to share. It will help me a LOT with direction, etc.

Dawn! And anyone else in the area.....Can you come this Thursday?

Merrillee

Wow it has been a very long time since I have been on here it is good to see some familiar names. I think I am finally ready to start meeting people and joining a support group it has been pretty tough tryin to do this on my own, dont know what I was thinking. Im in lakewood and I remember that there was a few of you close by. I would like any info on your groups and outings.

thank you:biggrin2:

hello. im new to the group and just starting my process with group health ins. i got the ok for referal from insurance to join the bariatric program and am now just waiting for my phone appoinment with the nurse to discuss it. i was just wondering if anyone else has used them and what the whole process is like with them.

Punkytres...

Hi, yes there are others in your area. I'm in UP and Wendy is in Lakewood. We walk M/W/F and meet at the Lakewood Y on T/R. We've been walking at the Tacoma Mall, since the weather has been cold, but will hopefully be ourside soon. Weather permitting we like to walk at Chambers Bay or the Dog park @ Ft Steilacoom. We also go to the St Joe's Support group that meets the 3rd Monday of each month. Check Merillee's post for the group she's starting in GH, I'll be heading out there too. Love to meet you sometime...I could never do this on my own!

Sue

punkytres - Hi there, I'm a lakewoodite! Come join Sue and me anytime, just give us a heads up so we are looking for you.

Mer - not sure about tonight. I will be at Anna's BBall game until about 6pm. Then I have to run the girls home and they have a huge history test tomorrow on the constitution that I really should help them study for. It's not looking like I am going to make it but hopefully sometime soon. Anna always has a game on Thursdays untill the season is over at the end of March. Boo Hoo, hate to miss the group but really can't miss her game.

Hi Everyone, I am new to this group. I just found out on Friday that my surgery will be on March 27, 2008. I am seeing Dr. Hunter with Virginia Mason. Has anyone else had him as a surgen? Also does anyone have any recommendations on what type of items I should buy to prepare myself for surgery (ie things I may need after surgery)?

Thank you

Hi,

Dr. Hunter is my doctor, too. I had my surgery July 20, 2007. I like him a lot but his staff can be somewhat frustrating. We are spending the winter in southern CA so I haven't had a fill since Oct. 29. I want an appointment for mid April, when we get home, so, knowing how they are.. I made my first phone call yesterday and I'm still waiting for a call back from the scheduling nurse. It seems like every time I want an appointment I have to call and call and call until I feel like I"m nagging them! I don't know if it's just that they are that busy or if they need to revamp their system!! Other than that, I have no complaints! Probably a good idea to make sure you understand whether or not they are going to keep you overnight. I was told yes, no, yes, no, and I still wasn't sure the morning of surgery. So I brought my CPAP machine and never had to use it because they sent me home around 4pm. Not a good time to head north out of Seattle!!! Took two hours to get to Everett!!

There's not much I can add as to what things you need to get prior to surgery. I will amen the Magic Bullet suggestion. It is very handy to have for mixing your Protein Drinks, etc, and also for the "mushie" stage. And every time you have a fill, you'll have to repeat those stages in shortened form, so it's a good thing to have. Shop around and watch for sales. I think I paid about $45... costco, I think. Can't remember for sure where we finally bought it. And I like the EAS chocolate Protein from Costco also. I got the Gas-X strips and hardly used them. liquid Tylenol is a good thing to have for when you're ready to quit your Rx pain medicine. Did someone suggest sugar free popsicles?? Those are good thing to have on hand, too.

Hi Sue!

God bless ya! Thanks! It ended up being just Rachel and me.....BUT I have had a LOT of interest and it's going to be in the paper for next week's meeting. I got a good amount of literature together, too, and I'm taking all the classes with ObesityHelp.com tomorrow.

ON another Front! I found a super plastic surgeon in Lacy that is going to do my Tummy Tuck on April 1!!!! YIPPEE!!!!! He is Dr. Art Foley, and he's super. Can't wait!

Merrillee

WOW...big news on the PS

How did you find him?

What are his prices like in comparison to Oh and the others you've researched?

Sue

I should be able to make it next week to the meeting :confused:

Hi Mer,

Yes I've met Dr. Foley before. His office is in the same building where I used to work (oral surgery). A friend of mine had a procedure done in his office. She was happy with everything. What is he charging for a tt?

Dr. Reuss is also in the same building, same floor actually, he's another ps doctor. I called his office because I'm a little more familiar with them and also his CRNA who does the anesthesia, I used to work with her - she's great. Anyways, he charges between 4,500 and 6,000 for a tt depending on how much extra skin etc. I thought that was really good.

Great for you going for it. I'm jealous. Can't wait til I'm there. I'll be praying for you.

Dawn