Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Inevitable "where's My Restriction?!?!" Freak Out Post

I went from barely eating 200 calories on my second day after surgery to surpassing 800 calories on my third day (yesterday). I'm intentionally aiming for between 600-700 today (everything is planned out for the rest of the evening).

Truth is, I feel like I could probably just continuously graze on these liquid stage foods all day without having a problem. I got through 11 ounces of smooth curried red lentil Soup (with unflavored Protein powder mixed in) last night for dinner before I had a sensation of maybe having gone too far. That was over the course of a half hour, maybe 45-minutes. I don't feel like I have to eat, but everyone is so adamant about constantly getting food and fluids in, I feel like I should be putting something in my mouth most of the time... at least while I'm still healing!

I have no problem getting in two Nalgene bottles (32oz each) of Water in a day in addition to this.

I'm not set to move on from this stage of the diet until after my post-op follow-up appointment with my surgeon on February 7th. That's fine, I don't mind staying on the full liquids until then.... I just wish I could experience the restriction to reassure myself that this really did happen and really will help me get to where I want to be!

I know this subject has been brought up a hundred times... I guess I'm just looking for those same reassurances fired off in my direction. :)

Believe me I felt the same way. I am three weeks and three days post-op and when I was on liquids I was the same way (drink drink drink, no restriction). Now that I have been on solids for three days, I am STUFFED after about 2oz of food. Its the oddest thing!!! You are not alone. I also went from being hungry (or so I thought) all the time on liquids to forgetting to eat on solids.

There is very little restriction with liquids unless you are gulping...and it doesn't sound like you are gulping! :) I like that you can laugh at yourself, but, yes, we all need a little comfort, especially now!! You are doing very well! Keep walking and sipping, and repeating, and you'll be fine.

Um, I'm more than three weeks post op and I can barely get in 300 calories per day. 800 sounds amazingly high to me. I couldn't do it. I get full so fast. I actually wish I had slightly less restriction.

I'm with you 4th day post op and I can barely get in 300-400 calories...I can't believe that I am flat out not hungry considering how much I use to love to eat...

Um, I'm more than three weeks post op and I can barely get in 300 calories per day. 800 sounds amazingly high to me. I couldn't do it. I get full so fast. I actually wish I had slightly less restriction.

I'm definitely not "hungry" in the way I would have been pre-op. I'm planning and putting things in my mouth because I know I'm supposed to (and am able to, much to my surprise). I think I could very easily go all day on nothing but a few sips of Water if I were so inclined!

I just had an 11oz Atkins shake for dinner over... 15 minutes? Maybe? The liquids are just pouring through.

I was wondering the same thing. Why is it some people have restriction on liquids and some of us can drink whatever we want. Just seems weird. I know we are all different but isnt our sleeve all similarly shaped? I know I'm still healing as its just day 2 post op but I feel like I've been drinking Water & Gatorade all day long, little sips at a time with no feeling of restriction. Does it take a while to start feeling it?

You won't feel restriction on liquids......they go right through you. You will feel it when you start eating solid food.....particularly dense Protein.

Your nerve endings have also been cut and your stomach is still swollen for several weeks. Your stomach isn't feeling much of anything right now.

This is also why calorie containing beverages are a no-no pretty much forever (Protein shakes excluded)....because they will go right through you and give you no sense of fullness....but you will have the calories.

I have had zero problems with liquids. I feel like I could drink all day and night. I don't (just what is required) and I am not physically hungry, but no real restriction. I am looking forward to starting solids on Monday to see what that will feel like!!

I am 2 days post op,on liquids for a week. I am having a hard time getting all my Fluid in. I think it just varies by surgery and by the persons body,everyone reacts differently. I can't get 3 sips in without feeling restriction for the next 30 minutes or so.

I drank all day long at your stage and felt very little restriction. The Protein Shakes and homemade non clear broths satisfied me a little more than the Clear Liquids, but I would literally drink ALL DAY LONG! I just looked on my fitness pal account and on my 6th day after surgery I consumed 735 calories. (Other days 550 and others 650. ) See? You are not the only one. :smile1:

I am 2 days post op,on liquids for a week. I am having a hard time getting all my Fluid in. I think it just varies by surgery and by the persons body,everyone reacts differently. I can't get 3 sips in without feeling restriction for the next 30 minutes or so.

You are doing great....just keep at it. What you are feeling right now should go away in a few days.....your stomach is EXTREMELY swollen still. Once that goes away fluids should go down much easier.

You are doing great....just keep at it. What you are feeling right now should go away in a few days.....your stomach is EXTREMELY swollen still. Once that goes away fluids should go down much easier.

Thanks! =) I am overall happy with the surgery but don't want to get dehydrated

I dont want to be a buzzkill "which I usually am lol".

Are you not scared to put to much pressure on your new staple line to cause a burst? I think since I studied improvised field survival and I know how to make an IV I will plug my arm before pushing my luck.

Thats just my foresight. Not saying you will have a leak but do you see how easy it is for people to selfinflict a leak? I am just saying dont push your luck to far

(null)

I went from barely eating 200 calories on my second day after surgery to surpassing 800 calories on my third day (yesterday). I'm intentionally aiming for between 600-700 today (everything is planned out for the rest of the evening).

Truth is, I feel like I could probably just continuously graze on these liquid stage foods all day without having a problem. I got through 11 ounces of smooth curried red lentil Soup (with unflavored Protein powder mixed in) last night for dinner before I had a sensation of maybe having gone too far. That was over the course of a half hour, maybe 45-minutes. I don't feel like I have to eat, but everyone is so adamant about constantly getting food and fluids in, I feel like I should be putting something in my mouth most of the time... at least while I'm still healing!

I have no problem getting in two Nalgene bottles (32oz each) of Water in a day in addition to this.

I'm not set to move on from this stage of the diet until after my post-op follow-up appointment with my surgeon on February 7th. That's fine, I don't mind staying on the full liquids until then.... I just wish I could experience the restriction to reassure myself that this really did happen and really will help me get to where I want to be!

I know this subject has been brought up a hundred times... I guess I'm just looking for those same reassurances fired off in my direction. :smile1:

I just re-read part of your post and didn't realize you were eating 11oz of pureed Soup this soon out. That stuff will not go right through you (especially with Protein Powder mixed in)....you need to measure that type of stuff out. No more than 1/2 cup per meal at this time.

Other clear fluids will go right through you - but still want to probably drink no more than 4oz per 15 mins.