Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not band friendly foods

Hi Stephanie, :biggrin1: Good 'luck' on your fill appointment! YAY! :clap2:

Which books, hon??

Please tell me when you get home & feel up to it, :Banane56: OK?

Thanks!!

plumputous

<><

I'm going to get my first fill in a couple of hours... and I'd love to learn from other's mistakes! I already know prefill I can't do Bagels or soft pretzels. I'd like everyone to list foods they know they can't tolerate (I know what the books say!)

Hi Jacqui,

I have seen that before, but still haven't been told what it means...

what is meant by pb, please? :Banane56:

I assume it means to regurgitate, but can't figure out why 'pb' ... ha

Thank you,

plumptuous

<><

So far there's been nothing I cant tolerate. There's been a couple of more difficult foods - steak or any other dry meat gives me the golfball feeling, but no pb. Donuts and cake enter my stomach just fine, no golfball but then a few minutes later it feels like pointy stones are passing through my stoma.

The books I'm talking about are Lapband for Life by Dr. Ortiz and Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding by Jessie H. Ahroni. Between the two books, I can get all the "scientific" answers I want. For real advice I come here!

The fill went fine. I saw Dr. Billy in Truckee. He put in 1cc which I thought wasn't alot for the first fill, but he is conservative and I'll be seeing him every month until I have the correct restriction. Thanks to Penni for recommending him!

I can't do rice, big Pasta ( i can have really small angel hair cut in very small pieces) bread, dry meat, tortillias, carbonation of any kind, bananas, pizza, fried chicken with skin, eggs (I can have egg salad). I am fine with seafood, chips, moist meat, red meat, I live on chili, Beans, nachos, and turkey hot dogs. ~Mandy

....grits.....big mistake.....

Grits? I would have thought that would be one of the best and easiest foods to deal with during the "mushy" post-surgery.

What about oatmeal?

(I'm about to be banded next week - and in my true style and am already obsessing over what I'm going to eat).

Can't do scrambled eggs - my doctor says that if you cook them well done over high heat, the Protein forms into solid blocks - whatever that means! Apparently, if you cook them slowly over a lower heat or in the top of a double boiler it's not such a problem. Either way, my scrambled egg days are OVER after a 6 hour PB on them! Yikes.

I can't eat scallops but I can eat shrimp if it eat it in small bites and chew like crazy.

I can't eat bananas or the white membrane part of oranges but I have no problem with watermelon (thank goodness!!!!!) or with plums.

I can't eat french fries - hooray!

I can't eat Cream of Wheat, which is about the consistency of grits, but I have no problem with oatmeal.< /span>

I think it's all a crap-shoot to be honest. There's no other reason why some people can eat stuff and some can't. There's no other reason why you can eat some things today but not tomorrow.

I have a theory: It may have something to do with how hydrated you are at the time. Hmmmmmm. Anyone want to chime in on this one?

Good luck. Let us know what you can't eat!

Some people can't eat anything ;) then have to get unfilled or take the band out.

Hey, anyone have hooters wings after banding????

I can eat hooters naked strips, and the regular strips with loads of ranch dressing. ~Mandy

beef, bread of any kind I just don't eat it at all, no salad but everyone is right day to day and some days surprise me, I think it is the hurry up eating we do that is the problem but I feel stupid everyone else is done eating and I am still working on the 1st bite! but it works it is a tool!!

Our fickle bands. Yesterday I went to a restaurant and ordered one of my favorite meals there - a burger (no bun) with pepper sauce. I ate 1/2 of the burger and an onion ring (usually I eat all the rings).

And pb'd. Then, I came home to pick up my laptop and got sick again. That is really unusual. I usually only throw up the excess food. My stomach still hurts this morning. I just ate a little junk last night - I was only going to have broth but I am out of canned broth and the boullion I had was full of fat.

I have to be well by tonight. I am taking a couple of visiting college students to dinner and I want to eat! No more Malawi burgers for me.

But I did my bi-monthly measurements today and I am down 50 1/2 inches!!

I am amazed at how many can't do scrambled eggs. It is the only way I can do eggs.< /p>

Can't eat...

bread

Pasta

rice (any kind)

pizza

chicken breast (unless it's canned)

anything deep fried is a no go

celery

Caution foods...

toast

watermelon

soda (yes I can tolerate some days but not all)

tortilla's

ice cream (yes sometimes it makes me foamy)

beef jerkey

this is what I have disocered so far for me, good luck on your journey :)

It's simply amazing to read all the differences in what we can/do eat.

I can't do bananas, but I can eat Pasta and bread. Haven't tried rice.

Applesauce hurts like mad, but tortilla chips and Jerky (turkey) are fine.

A friend of mine can't tolerate any chicken at all. About 85% of what I eat is chicken, and I think I'm tighter than her... maybe...

And day to day... I had Chipotle on Sunday, went down like I wasn't even banded. Had Chipotle Monday and it took me about an hour just to get through 1/3 of it because because the Beans were deciding to hang out & chill with my stoma instead of heading straight home like good girls & boys.

Our bands definitely make sure we know who's in control.

I should add, travel makes my band really fickle. I had the pleasure of sliming over cream of Tomato Soup.< /p>