Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wait...shouldn't Calories Per Day For Weight Loss Still Work The Same As Pre-Op?

PdxMan, I think basically you're right, but it seems that more and more research is showing that a calorie is not just a calorie. The protein/carb/fat calories as you presented them are grossly correct, but I think each of those categories can be further refined in terms of how the body uses them. There is a really interesting video on you tube called "sugar: the bitter truth" that illustrates how different sugars are metabolized by the body and shows that what you eat does affect the calorie equation. I also find it interesting that Atkins had always argued that a low carb diet created a metabolic advantage. Hopefully one day science will figure out exactly what that advange is.

PdxMan, I think basically you're right, but it seems that more and more research is showing that a calorie is not just a calorie. The protein/carb/fat calories as you presented them are grossly correct, but I think each of those categories can be further refined in terms of how the body uses them. There is a really interesting video on you tube called "sugar: the bitter truth" that illustrates how different sugars are metabolized by the body and shows that what you eat does affect the calorie equation. I also find it interesting that Atkins had always argued that a low carb diet created a metabolic advantage. Hopefully one day science will figure out exactly what that advange is.

Thanks for the feedback. Always enjoy other's insight.

To the OP, you are right within the 3rd week stall. About 99% of WLS patients, or anyone losing weight will experience a "no loss". Some will last about 2-5 weeks. Just continue on the right path as it sounds like you are, keep pushing your fluids and if possible up your walking a little bit.

It will pass.

One last thing, it's probably best not to weigh so much, you'll drive yourself bananas.

Sorry for causing some offense/confusion. When I say grossly correct (please note that I did not say "incorrect") I am agreeing with you in a general sense. I think that what you had to say has historically been the accepted scientific wisdom (and for the most part still is), but as with everything science related our knowledge is constantly evolving and it seems to me that lately there have been a lot of developments in how we view the carb/protein/fat paradigm. The video I referenced in my previous post is an example of that.

Yup, I just caught my error, "correct". Thanks, and no offense was taken.

Yes, that is why I prefaced and finished my post the way I did. It is a controversial, ever changing "science", which, at some point, I have to stop my head from spinning and take an appoach and ride with it.

I'm almost 4 months post op and I have been averaging less than 1100 calories a day. It takes alot of focusing and tracking. My NUT told me I should be eating 1200 calories by now, so I thought that I'd be losing weight. NOT! Maybe it's because I have gained some muscle weight from exercising. Who knows.... Tomorrow is the Basic Bootcamp diet! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Thank you Irene for your guidance. ;)

What is the Basic Bootcamp Diet?

I'm 8 months out and eating around 1200 calories a day. I'm losing slowly at this point. Like, 1-2 pounds a month kind of slowly. I workout 3 days a week. So I think the 1200 calorie range is probably good for maintenance for me. Right now, I'm working on getting my calories and carbs down a tad more - but hunger is a factor now for me, so it's harder than in the past. I drink a lot of milk, so my carbs are normally under 100, but it's never as low as 40 as some people on here are maintaining. I also eat a lot of veggies, which have carbs. I honestly don't know how people keep their carbs so low! I'd be curious to see what they are eating.

I dropped milk because of the carbs, and switched to almond milk. It makes my Protein hot cocoa or Click mocha thick and creamy without adding carbs. I stick to protein mostly for meals. I'd guess my daily net carbs are generally under 40. Higher if I have a low-carb muffin or equivalent for Breakfast.< /p>

I've been eating 1200 or more calories per day since about 5 weeks out. I was sleeved 8/8/11 and have lost 82 pounds. That may seem like slow weight loss but if I go much lower than 1200 for a couple days, I stall because my body goes into starvation mode. Just my experience.

This topic reminds me of an article in the NY Times a while back. I don't think that the research was described all that well (at some point maybe I'll look at the original article--maybe on my next serious procrastination session), but it supports what several of y'all have been saying: the math isn't as straightforward as once thought.

Here's the article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/health/20brody.html?_r=2

BUT here's a decent critique of the study, for what it's worth: http://www.bulletproofexec.com/nutritional-fundamentalism-why-even-resolute-dieters-often-fail-nytimes-com/

I am 7 weeks post-op and rarely go over 700 calories a day. 1,100 sounds like a feast. :blush5: Carbs (even "good" carbs) trigger the release of insulin, which causes the body to store fat. When insulin isn't high, the body releases glucagon, which triggers the body to burn fat. This is over-simplified, but you get the general idea.

So I guess my question would be, what do you eat. I am 3 months post op and on a now 3 week stahl.

My typical day

0430: Bariatric Advantage Hot chocolate

0630: 1/2 banana

1000: Scrambled egg white with spinach some times bacon

1300: 2.5 ounces of chicken or streak and some veggies

1500: 10 almonds, or a baby bell cheese, or Atkins endulge bar

1800: today 3 spinach raviolis with 1.5 ounces of turkey burger and 1 tsp of spagetti sauce

50 to 60 ounces of Water.

Can you give me an idea of your eating plans

I'm only 6 weeks post-op, so I don't think a comparison of diets is fair. I eat cottage cheese, Babybel Light cheese, Laughing Cow cheese, Greek yogurt, and Protein Drinks. Also, the occasional poached egg. If I were eating solids, I wouldn't eat the banana or the raviolis. Berries for fruit (lower sugar) and non-starchy veg. I'd eat a whole egg, because the yolk is full of good fats and Iron.< /p>

I find it's a fine balance between calories being low enough to lose weight and too low, causing a stall. Totally frustrating. @Escape - I have been considering switching back over to almond milk for some of my needs.

For those of you who use Almond Milk exclusively - how do you get all your Calcium? Has it effected you labs? I am all for change, but I worry about my bone density later in life. What do you eat/drink to get in your Calcium, if not dairy products?