Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wait...shouldn't Calories Per Day For Weight Loss Still Work The Same As Pre-Op?

How much is considered low carb? What are some common foods that are high in carbs?

I told myself I wasn't going to pay attention much to month one, because I've heard there's still a lot going on with healing, etc., that may affect things. But now I've got to admit, I'm concerned. I lost 10 pounds during the first week of the liquid diet -- no surprise -- but haven't lost anything since. I was sleeved on 12/29/11. I've been tracking food by the bite, and have averaged roughly 1,100 calories a day. I have been doing my best to keep Protein up and carbs low, but haven't always hit the mark there.

My question: Shouldn't calories per day, amount spent exercising, etc., work the same way after surgery? I understand WHY the high protein/low carb diet works, just as it would PRE-surgery. But if I've been averaging 1,100 calories a day for more than two weeks I would have thought I'd have least lost 4-5 pounds!!

Has anyone's doc given them the idea that weight loss WON'T happen if you don't go low carb???

If so, why??

Why wouldn't reduced calories and increased exercise work the same way after the sleeve as it would before (well, when I was able to stick to a reduced calorie diet that is!! ; )

First of all, muscle weighs more than fat, so you may actually be building muscle.

Secondly, your body is still pushing out fluids from surgery.

Third, you may still be in the 3 week stall. Mine lasted about 2 weeks. It's not something you can change. Your body needs time to adjust to having a smaller stomach and to the reduced amount you're eating.

Fourth, if you're anywhere near TOM, you may be holding Water.

No matter which one of the above is the cause, you'll probably see a whoosh in a few days where you lose a few pounds really quickly. But, right now, your body is shrinking, so you may notice the difference in your clothes before you see it on the scale.

Good luck!!

I was instructed to stay around 600 calories a day until I hit goal...but most days I was a around 400 and that was only after I got to mushies. That said if your nutritionist told you to hit 1100 then you should contact them and see what they suggest. For me it was 70 grams of Protein, no more than 30 carbs 600 calories. Good luck to you.

I am 7 weeks post-op and rarely go over 700 calories a day. 1,100 sounds like a feast. :blush5: Carbs (even "good" carbs) trigger the release of insulin, which causes the body to store fat. When insulin isn't high, the body releases glucagon, which triggers the body to burn fat. This is over-simplified, but you get the general idea.

Lissa & two...thank you. A lot of good points here. I have started back up a boot camp program. I've gone only like half a dozen times but it does involve cardio AND strength training, so there may be something there. Not near TOM, but a good reminder about the fluids post-surgery. I'm sure that may be at play, too. I know my energy level still isn't back so I'm sure there's still a lot going on inside -- just because I can't see it doesn't mean my insides aren't hard at work!

As for the calories, I wasn't given a daily amount. Was just told at least 70 g protein/day, carbs at about 20/meal, and limited fat. With the occasional exception of head hunger, I've basically been eating only when hungry. Actually, I just ran a report on 411Fit.com (where I track food), and it shows since I've been off all liquids my net calorie intake/day is -925, which should translate into a loss of roughly 3 1/2 pound. So I'm probably worrying for nothing. That's not that much weight, and it may not be showing up on the scale just because of the water/muscle ebbs & flows.

Ok...I've talked myself out of it! :purplebananna:

I have never counted carbs. I just stay under 1000 cal a day.

I am not supposed to go over. 600-800 calories a day. To me also, 1,100 sounds like alot. Do you have a dietician in your doctor's office?

I had surgery on Dec 28th . I lost 8.5 lbs the first 2 weeks, gained 2 lbs the third week and the scale has' t moved , but official weigh day is Wed. I consume maybe 700-800 calories a day. I suspect we are in the famous 3-4 week stall? I refuse to eat less, My job includes standing and moving all day. Less calories I wouldn't have the stamina to do my job. I am trying to be patient since I haven't read about a sleeve failing? Good luck!

I'm less than a week behind you, and I can barely eat an ounce of anything. I eat around 400 cals a day and cannot fathom eating 1,100. That sounds like a lot to me at this stage.

Ophelia, I'm over 4 months out and have a hard time hitting 1,000 calories a day unless I'm really hungry from working out that day. Of course, "really hungry" can usually be handled by eating a cheese stick or a couple ounces of chicken.< /p>

I'm almost 4 months post op and I have been averaging less than 1100 calories a day. It takes alot of focusing and tracking. My NUT told me I should be eating 1200 calories by now, so I thought that I'd be losing weight. NOT! Maybe it's because I have gained some muscle weight from exercising. Who knows.... Tomorrow is the Basic Bootcamp diet! YAYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Thank you Irene for your guidance. ;)

first of all, a calorie is not just a calorie. Calories in don't necessarily = calories burned. 3500 calories burned doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to drop a pound on the scale. Your body is going through some serious changes and its going to react differently than it may have before the surgery.

I had my surgery back in July and have been eating 1200 calories a day since about 3 months out. I track everything I eat on my Droid phone app, MyFitnessPal. I have lost 50 pounds. My weight loss has been slow but steady.. I eat like a normal person does. I just eat a small amount. I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life. 1200 calories is not alot of calories. Most diets advocate eating about this many calories to lose weight.

Love my fitness pal great app!

All -- thank you for all the helpful responses. I would really like to hear more from everyone on this whole daily caloric intake issue from all of you!

Here's my question to all of you eating 400-900 cal/day...

To me operation or no operation that just sounds crazy low in the same way that my 1,100 sounds crazy high to some of you. My understanding has always been that medically our body needs a certain amount of calories even at rest just to function. I know the exact amount is probably debatable, but take this example from livestrong.com:

At rest

Your body has a basal metabolic rate, BMR, which translates into the number of calories you need in order to survive. The American Council on Exercises uses this formula to determine approximate BMR numbers:

Adult males should multiply your weight by 12.

Adult females should multiply your weight by 11.

For example, an average 20 year old, 150 pound male would require 1,800 calories each day: 150 x 12 = 1,800.

Further, every doc/nut/diet program I ever saw or tried pre-op always stressed don't go below 1,200 calories a day. The idea being that when you go below 1,200/day (1,500 for men), your body's protective mechanisms kick in, i.e., starvation mode, and the body's metabolism actually slows down. Plus, it makes it hard below 1,200 to get all the nutrients and can cause health complications like gout, gallstones, heart probs, etc.

So here is my question: How can it be that 1,200 is a safe and effective (for most) daily caloric rate for steady weight loss over time before VS surgery, but after surgery -- when all that has happened is that the stomach is smaller -- 1,200 is suddenly far too much???? It just doesn't make physiological sense to me.

Have any of you probed further with your doc or NUT about this subject?

And FYI on me: I did see a NUT. She gave me the Protein goal of 70/day and carb average of 20/meal. There was no set caloric intake. I am eating small portions when hungry. For example, where I would have (and did) stuff 4, 5 or even 6 pieces of pizza into myself pre-op, I'm lucky to finish one thin-crust slice before I feel very full and stop.