Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can You Lose Too Much Weight After Vsg & Does Your Energy Drop?

Approved (finally after 7 mth process!) now contemplating whether I should do it. (tell me I can't and I want to, tell me I can and I freak out!!!) My questions to anyone out there is can you lose too much weight after VSG? Yes I need to lose 80-95#, that'd be a perfect size for me. But much more than that and I would feel, for me, that I'd be TOO thin. So can you control that or do you just keep losing?

Second part of my post is...I exercise A LOT and love to. Other than joint pain from arthritis and being overweight, I'm in great health and almost always have a lot of energy (I credit that to the working out). I'm afraid I'll get weak and tired after surgery and have no energy, which would make me regret it terribly. I understand a few weeks out from surgery I wouldn't be full-force and would likely feel tired, but 2-3+ months down the road will my energy level be great again?

Hi ..I also have only 82lbs to loose when I had surgery.I'm only 4 foot 9..so my BMI was high and was able to get the surgery..I am now 5 months and 2 weeks out and lost about 55 lbs..but it has slowed up now and I have to work for every pound I loose..I go to the gym 3 times a week and eat only what is healthy for my sleeve..I wouldn't worry about loosing too much..I would do this again in a minute...Its giving me my life back...and that is a wonderful feeling...You deserve it.

ladymacwhiz - thanks that makes me feel better! I've been reading a lot of posts on here and it really does seem like people have good energy after the surgery - that's good to know!

im just under 6 weeks out.. and i feel fantastic.. even tho this week ive kinda slacked ive been at the gym since week 1. I go or at least I try to go to the gym 5 days a week.. im kinda like you, ive always been very active with the exception of 4 knee surgeries ive always played sports.. i have a lower bmi, because a lot of my weight comes from having a lot of muscle and i just have a larger bone structure than most i guess. even tho my ticker says i have a higher bmi i went in and had a test done. I don't think you will have much to worry about, a lot of it i think is mental, if you wanna be lazy i guess you will, but if you wanna get up and do something well.. thats all the motivation you will need.. Good luck on your journey and just like marys said, i would do it all over again in a heart beat!

My husband and I were discussing this. My cousin had weight loss surgery and she has gotten almost too thin at this point. I don't want to end up too skinny but the good thing is that most people do regain at least 10-20 lbs or so after the first year or two when they are on the super skinny side. So hopefully if we get too skinny we will gain some back to help. My husband definitely doesn't want me to get too thin and I really don't want to either. It's a risk I guess.

I can't imagine this being an issue as this is a tool to help you loose weight. You control your destiny by what you put into your body. Nutritional eating, and exercising to stay toned will be your later food plan, not a weight loose plan as it should be now. I'm sure your nut will place you on a maintenance plan at that point and time. I'm at a stall right now, for the last few weeks and I now need to revisit my calorie intake and exercise to get my body loosing again. Best of luck and don't worry, you'll cross that bridge when you get there.

Love all the input! While I cannot fathom ever being TOO skinny, it really is a concern of mine. I've never quite figured out how eating 600-800 calories/day is bad for someone now, but for WLS patients it's a way of life. Granted, with necessary supplements. I'm just such a chicken!!

You make adjustments with your calorie intake and exercise when you reach your goal. It becomes math in the maintainence phase. You do increase your calories but not with junk food, you still eat nutritional fuel. I have talked in depth with my NUT about this and my question was since my restriction is still about 4 oz of food, how do I get more calories. It is very easy to increase calories, too easy sometimes that is why you need to have a food journal such as myfitnesspal.com . I have noticed that if you add a Protein shake, a piece of fruit and some beef jerkey, that can easily add a few hundred calories. Even though they are healthy calories, they are calories. Adding those extra items daily might help you maintain your weight, gain weight or lose weight. If you keep losing and you want to stop, add more healthy calories. It is constant adjustments you will be making once you reach goal.

I am about 10 lbs from goal right now, I probably could have reached my goal last month but I need the added calories and carbs for exercise so I could have the energy for my workouts. It had slowed my weight loss some but in exchange, it gave me the added energy to build muscle and tone up. Once I reach goal, I will always continue to exercise so I will have to find that magic number of calories where I do not gain or lose weight.

Kemo46: I *love* myfitnesspal.com! I've been using it for about a year off and on. It is an excellent tool and what u say makes sense, about adjusting your calories throughout the process & eventually finding the magic number once u reach maintenance. Thx so much for the reply.