Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Unfills...how many have you had and why?

I was banded by Dr. Speigel in Houston at the end of 05. I got my first fill around the end of January 06 (1.6)...got another fill at the end of April (he withdrew 1.4 and put 2.0 but I couldn't hold down Water so he left it at 1.8). At the end of May, I went to our beach...came home and took a bite of pizza and didn't chew it enough (no pizza since Dec 05)...kept throwing up until it came out...ended up with uncontrollable vomiting and couldn't keep Water down...got an unfill.

Dr. Spiegel quit taking my insurance so I found a doctor, much closer and with UCH. His name is Dr. Chang. Got a fill at the end of June of 1.2 felt some restriction, but still could eat too much at a meal and got really hungry afterwards. He withdrew 1.2 last month and gave me 1.6...it was fine.

Day 3, after my fill, we went to the beach (I was still on liquids), came home and started throwing up. Learning from my first experience...I called my new doc and got to the ER where he unfilled me. I am now unfilled and have pain in/around the port area.

What, in your opinion, might be happening? Is this normal? I miss my fill and do not want to lose my band. My new surgeon says we must take a conservative approach to fills...I just want to know if this is normal...

Any input or questions are welcome

Thank you, susan

I haven't had any unfills but it sounds like you might be one of the few, but fortunate, people who gets restriction with very little fill amounts. Since you've been dealing with this problem on and off for several months now, it might be a good idea to have an esophogram and then, if all is OK, have a fill under floroscopy.

Are you seeing a theme here?

BEACH?

Number one, we tend to eat things at the beach/on vacation that we wouldn't eat at home.

Number two, lots of Bandsters experience 'tightening' of the band in extreme heat. My band often tightens up if I'm in the sun all day but oh, if I get dehydrated - it will later SUCK that Fluid out and I loose fill. It's a vicious cycle so I make SURE I stay hydrated when I'm at the beach, in extreme heat, etc.

Keep it up, it gets easier. When the band is well filled, good restriction can't help but lead you to good weight loss.

Good Luck.

My doc recommends a little unfill every time we go out of town for a few days. He doesn't unfill much, but just enough to keep you from vomiting your food if you retain Water while out of town. I've had about 4 unfills. When I get back I just get a re-fill (I sound like a car). This has worked well for me because I usually retain water while on vacation and, even with the unfill, I feel the same or a bit more restriction when I'm out of town.

I have had a few.

First, I am one of the bandsters that react to heat. I had my first unfill during an extreme heat period and it didn't click with me. A few weeks later, in the heat, I was very tight and it was 107 - I was riding motorcycle through Idaho, Montana, and ND that day. I drank warm (not cold) Water through the day to stay hydrated and didn't need an unfill.

But I knew by then I reacted to heat. When I went to Mexico in Jan, I had my fill taken down to 1.2. Back in the US, I went up to 1.8 and it was perfect. Then I came to Africa for my job interview - and pbd every day So I went down to 1.5 to move here. Fortunately I moved here in the cool season and I have been able to handle it with problems about once a week.

I am going to the US next month and will get reduced to 1.2. The hot season here is coming and I won't be able to eat otherwise. My other issue is that I live in a country with no US approved dr. And to find a dr. that could unfill me would probably require 24 hours of more of airport and flight time.

The longer you have your band the more you will know it. It sounds like you are similar to me in that you don't need alot in your band for restriction. That's great. It has worked well for me. I have been a slow loser - but have lost alot of inches and size as well. Good luck on your journey. Celeste

Road Queen, I think I am affected by the heat. First, I thank everyone for their responses and will take them to my doc on the 9th. I don't eat at the beach (don't like the grit in my teeth), so food wasn't the problem. Also, I was drinking ice cold Water AND, I did my exercise (run/walk) on the beach since I missed it that morning. I actually ran faster and harder than normal. Thank you EVERYONE for your input...it's always sooo appreciated!!! Susan

I have had one unfill, about 5 minutes after a fill... because I was throwing up Water. Yuck! Instant relief with the loss of .4 cc's.

I had unfill due to me reaching my goal weight.. But now its only been 2 wks and I am thinking I want to go another 15 pds.. SO in 2 wks I go back to TJ and get a FILL. I have a 5cc band, and I have 1.6 cc in now

I hope to go back up to 2.4 cc.. that is a good fill for me

banded

3/29/08

Dr.Corvala TJ

178/133.6/115

62"

I have had 2 unfills because of too tight, it takes my fills a week to hit, one time was .2 cc fill made me too tight the other he gave me .4 and closed me off. Dr had me to 2.0 now I am 1.4 I need a fill

a Small one lol

Nana~

NewSho. . . .I didn't know heat was a band factor. BUT so true. I actally get nauseous, faint in extreme heat and definetly tighter, NO HUNGER. Is there a place to get more info on this?

I had one unfill due to eating a piece of sushi at 9:30 in the morning -it started me throwing up until i couldn't even keep my spit down. Day two after that i flew to TJ (first class only availablle) and had a very expensive unfill. I just got a re-fill and I'm not even close to my first fill level- If I decide to stick with this, I figure it will take another 4-8 fills and several thousand dollars to hit the sweet spot the lucky folks describe.

I had 2 fills had to be unfilled for 5 months because of irritation and reflux. Recently got another fill. My Dr. does all fills under flouro, thankfully my insurance pays. My unfill was done in the office, I was scared to go to the emergency room, I didn't want a non band doctor touching my port/band.