Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time-Released Medication Question

I tried searching for this but have found nothing on this site...

Does anyone notice that their medications are affecting them differently? I am almost three months out and am noticing some things that could be the result of my meds.

I take Lamictal 200 XR. It is a seizure medication but it was prescribed to me for it's off label use as a mood stabilizer. Pre-surgery, it was my magic little pill. As time passes it seems that it is becoming less and less effective. Could it be that maybe I am not absorbing it as well as before or not as much as before? My emotions are swinging more and more often and with broader swings.

I also take Strattera for my ADD. Pre-surgery, the dosage was great. Now, I feel scattered and almost the same as I did before I started taking it. Again, maybe I'm not getting all the medication?

Both of these are timed release medicines and I wonder if the sleeve causes them to release more slowly and then "get rid of" the rest that was not digested. I know these are questions for my doctor but I thought that maybe someone had experience with timed release medications.

Any insight would help.

Medication dosages will need to be adjusted. Many times dosages are dictated by weight, so that could be having an effect. Also, as you lose weight, your body chemistry changes, this could also have an effect. Please go see your doctor, explain what's going on and have your meds adjusted.

The time released part may be to blame here. your stomach is not as big anymore and so they dont sit in there very long before they go into the intestines. I would talk to your doctor about switching the meds to a regular release, and also talk to him about crushing the meds as well. (you cannot crush time released meds-so dont do it). The previous poster is right that the body chemistry changes as you lose weight but usually the meds need to be decreased, not increased. I know that lamictal is available in many forms so you wont have a problem with that, but I am unfamiliar with stratera and how the dosages come. Good luck to you!

One thing to remember with time release medications is that they can not be taken out of the capsule or the tablet can not be cut as they will no longer work as directed. If you are having trouble taking these sometimes large pills talk to you doctor about an alternative and possible change in the medication.

I have an appointment on Feb. 7 to discuss my meds. I don't crush, chew, or open any of my meds and the Strattera only comes in a time release capsule. As far as I know, any ADD medicine for adults is in tme released form. I will talk to my doc and see what my options are. Maybe since I am not digesting enough of the medicine, I may need to have the dosage increased.

Thanks to all of you for the input!!

Any mood modifing medication should be monitored by your doctor. If the meds are not working the same tell your doctor what they are doing. Tell your doctor that the stomache is only 15% of previous capacity and that the time release may not be a good option in your case. Weight, age and tolerance are big factors with prescriptions. Good luck. Hope you can get back on track.

P.S. I found after the surgery I had a lot of stress because I was an emotional eater and my food was basically taken away. So that has been a big adjustment for me. :)

After talking with my doctor and my pharmacist, the dosage of the medicines were changed. My Strattera increased and the Lamictal is the same mg but given as two time released pills rather than one. I should have thought of this because I have to take two 20mg nexium rather than a 40. Weird how it works but it works. I take them at the same time. I'm feeling like myself again. Thanks to all for the advice.