Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips To Avoid Throwing Up After Eating?

Hi everyone. I just wanted to say first that I am new to this site. Great people who are on here too. I've all ready learned a lot from reading the posts.

Okay..so here's my deal. I am just past two weeks post op. On Sunday I was supposed to start the mushy phase of the diet. However, I have been dealing with dehydration issues. One time I was in the ER and had to get fluids and recently I was back in the ER with a UTI because of dehydration. So, from reading on the boards....I've stopped the mushy phase and went back to drinking liquids and Protein shakes. I had read on the boards how serious dehydration can be and it scared me.

Anyway, I just wanted to eat something....you know.....get that texture in your mouth kind of feeling? So, I had 1/4 cup of mushed tuna. Well within a few moments I had to run to the bathroom and throw it all up. Oh! It was awful.

Any advice on what to do to avoid this in the future? Oh! And, any advice about avoiding dehydration would REALLY be appreciated as this seems to be a real complication for me thus far.

Thank you. :biggrin2:

I haven't tried meats yet, but I have heard that they are not easily tolerated soon after surgery. Perhaps try something else? I have heard that eggs, chicken, tuna and other meats can come right back up.

I am not even supposed to try meats or tuna until five weeks (so many different variations in instructions, I know!)

Perhaps try some oatmeal with milk, or refried Beans thinned with a little chicken stock? Those have gone down without any problem for me. You can even spice up the refried Beans if you want.

Hope you manage to avoid a repeat of the tuna incident!

I would suggest trying a tablespoon at a time. 1/4cup is probably too much for your little swollen tummy. Try different things with "lube" - mayo/ sauces. I did a lot of mushy egg salad and cream of wheat at this stage. Just a few bites at a time you you'll progress

I was able to handle the mushy stage only because I ate runny mash potatoes, mushed banana's and mostly puree food. tuna, chicken, pork didn't like the new stomach but corn beef hash mushed with a fork did and I ate alot of it.. Beans of any kind mushed were easy to handle also.

I just started a week and a half ago on real food and I had to slow my eating down because of that lump in the throat feeling (still eating slow).

My doc and NUT had me go through a pureed phase before I could go to soft mushy. I guess they found that seems to work better with a lot of people. I love tuna, but you really have to break it up when first eating. I also love scrambled eggs, but my digestive system wanted to kick me. Keep in mind for the last month or so you have limited what you have eaten, and you have only allowed liquids to go in, so be gentle with yourself. Every new phase of eating takes practice. One thing I learned was do not drink after eating. It will come right back up. And when you do drink, take small sips.

Think you are a little early for meats of any kind. At your stage I was eating babyfood.....the lasagna and the chicken and noodle are not bad if you add some salt and pepper. I was eating half a jar at a meal which is about 3 ox and felt very full. Did you get a diet sheet from your surgeon after surgery. Mine is specific as what I can add each week post op. I am 5 weeks out and I am just eating slivered ham, turkey and chicken. I have not tried any hamburger as of yet. I have put the meat into my chopper and mixed it with northern Beans out of a can and also with some peas and carrots. I am taking it easy as the other food will come in good time.

Wow, 1/4 cup? That's a bunch. Try a couple of bites, max. That dense Protein pretty much takes a lot of tummy work, and yours is not at the point of being able to handle it right now, obviously! If it's any consolation, mine wasn't ready for those things for a few months, either, and still can't handle certain foods. Some of the discomfort might be volume related, and some associated with the fact that it's a dense Protein.< /p>

Hang in there--you'll get the hang of eating with your new sleeve!

Great tips from everyone on avoiding denser foods right now. As for the liquids, some people find that warm or ice cold drinks go down easier for them. Try warm broth (a little protein), very runny refried Beans, lightly scramble an egg (you will probably only be able to handle half of one), make a very loose Protein shake with milk (or soy/rice/almond milk if you're lactose intolerant like me), runny instant mashed potatos, or baby food meat all go down pretty easily. Ice chips, SF popsicles, SF Jello, Decaf coffee and decaf tea all count as liquids. Water with crystal light, mio drops, or some Protein powder all go down okay. Special K has a Protein Water that's flavored.

You probably won't be able to handle 1/4 cup of anything for awhile yet. You will learn what your sleevie will tolerate fairly quickly, but don't push it to accept new things. Try one bite of a new thing and let it sit in your tummy for half an hour or so. Once you are sure it will stay down, then try some more of it. tuna is fairly tough on a new sleeve, so it might just be the tuna that caused problems. Also, be very, very, very sure that you are chewing your food to applesauce consistency before you swallow. That will make it easier for the sleeve to accept that new food.

Good luck!! :)

Thank you all for your advice! I really appreciate it. I never saw a nut. before having the surgery. I was just given a diet sheet with the stages and what foods to eat for each stage. I guess I mis-read the info and thought I could eat tuna. *yikes*

I am supposed to see the internal medicine doctor next month and hopefully a nut. too.

Again...thank you. :smile1:

Congrats on you being sleeved! First of all remember you are LEARNING about the new you so do not be too hard on yourself. Now is the time to learn new habits to carry you through.

In my opinion, (I threw up also when eating) you might be eating too soon or too quickly. I did not eat for the first 4 weeks, liquids until then. So, next time you try something - try two or three tablespoons only. Stop. Try again in another couple of hours after you have concentrated on getting in those liquids. If you still have problems go back on liquids for a day or two and then try something different. Milk was intolerable for me. Scrambled eggs made me heave but not boiled then finely diced eggs. Crazy what I could tolerate and what I could not. My first foree into solids was two bites of applesauce. Next was cottage cheese. Then eggs. Next tuna with a little bit of mayo.< /p>

Don't be discouraged. Each day is a challenge to grow and learn more. Hugs for courage and strength.

I feel your pain. Today I am eleven days out and for some reason I want to think I much further along. I at out with my kids at panera today and ordered potato Soup. I have been eating soft textured soup at home with no know issue and have tolerated every thing I have tried so far however today was the dreaded day of hell. I had the worse stomach cramps and pain I have ever had in my life. I called my DR office to let them know and to find out if my stomach was going to bust open. The nurse said it was probably an ingredient in the soup. I had upper and lower cramps for at least an hour and then it went away. I am now so leery of trying any new food I never want to have that happen again. Most of what I have been eating is very soft . I have eaten laughing cow cheese and it is good and smashed Beans and an egg or two but not very much more. I guess we just have to take it real slow which is hard for me however I never want to feel what I felt today , so for me liquids may be in my future much longer than I had planed. Best of luck to you.

Thank you Thomas, iegal and jennifer for your advice. :thumbs_up: