Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Days Post Op. My Surgical Experience

Hey Sleevees,

Noob here, this is my second post. I am two days post op and though I'd post my experience for those who are about to go through the VGS.

Standard stuff:

Arrived at hospital 2 hrs prior to surgery to prep. Prep consisted of the standard things (IV, blood pressure checks, sugar checks) Wear lose clothes. I had to be naked in a gown for the proceedure. Also, remember not to wear contact lenses. They put leg compression socks around my legs. Don't worry about the leg compression machine. It actually feels good as it massages the legs to prevent clots.

Next they wheeled me into the OR slap a gas mask on me and then next think I know it I'm waking up in recovery room. Now when first waking up you're in a complete daze. I was very nauseated but I never got to the point of puking. I sat in recovery for 3 hrs waiting for a hospital room to open up then they wheeled me in there. Once in the room they are pumping you full of meds and fluids through IV. I had a JP drain in place and an On-Q pain pump. Never was in unbearable pain, just general discomfort. By day two I had felt much better and started walking around the hospital floor while carting around my IV. I mainly did it because I was bored. I was in the hospital one full day and was discharged on day two since I was able to drink and eat Clear liquids with no complications.

Drinking/JP Drain/On-q pain pump:

For me drinking creates gas and thats the annoying pains that come and go. I take gas-x at home and they gave me a script for it. Now for the most horrific image thats going to remain in my memory for a long while....the removal of the JP drain. I was looking down and watched the whole thing being removed...DO NOT DO THIS. The drain has a stem inside of you a good 4 inches deep and when they pull that it out it will take your breath away...but it does go quickly. As for the On-Q pain pump, they sent me home with it still in my stomach which I took out this morning. Removing the On-Q is cake...two small tubes about 6-8 inches deep in your chest, you just keep pulling them out and then you throw the pump away...no pain involved. THEN YOU GET TO SHOWER...horray. My prep didn't allow me to shower the day of surgery due to the bacterial wipes I was given to put on the tummy.

Things I'm experiening today:

Today has been not really bad, especially after I showered. I felt so much better. Breakfast fo rme was a 3 oz Protein shot, lunch was Vitamins and a nap and I"ve been drinking regular Water and now I have a Propel peach flavored water beside me. Remember on your new Vitamin regiment, the Vitamins need to be gel caps, liquids, chewable, or smaller than the size of an M & M candy, my doc said. Make sure you're bought these and your two week post op foods BEFORE surgery. You're really not going to feel like going to a grocery store (or I wouldn't have) after surgery. A neat trick on food I picked up from my brother who had the band is to use regular campbells chicken noodle Soup BUT drain out just the broth. This broth is 100 times better tasting than the broth you buy in a can or box. So, the main things I'm dealing with today are gas pains and some minor pains on the incisions which is getting better more and more.

My Story.

B

Hi Noob!

I had my surgery same day as you did. I didn't have to have the drain, and the pain pump was through my IV and therefore removed before discharge.

I had very similar experience: showed up, normal prep with IV being worst of it and that is just a few seconds of a needle pinch. I loved the compression socks...was like getting a massage :). I stayed overnight on Thursday and was sent home Friday mid-day. I STRONGLY recommend staying overnight to folks who can. I was a self-pay and one night was included in my package, so I took advantage. The nurses were able to answer lots of questions and it was reassuring to know what was normal or not. Also took the burden of care off the family . First few out of bed experiences were slow but not hard. Took pain meds 20 minutes before planning to walk so that helped.

I am not in much pain at all but I am really worried about dehydration. Even if I have not had anything to drink for a few hours due to sleep, even the very first sip causes gurgling down the entire esophagus and significant pressure in my chest and across the top of my stomach area. Lots of burping. Having a hard time getting the liquids down due to the intense pressure each sips causes and want to make sure what I can get down has lots of Protein.

Are you using Isopure for your Protein? Were you able to drink the 3 oz protein shot in a few sips or did you have to work on it for awhile? It took over two hours for me to get 5 oz of Isopure down. Lots of work, but worth it to make it to the skinny side.

I am excited to follow your progress since we got sleeved same day. BEST OF LUCK!!

Thanks for sharing....I'm actually looking forward to my procedure in June

For Protein right now I'm doing the 3 oz shots and the Isopure as a change up. Less liquid in the shot so I don't feel as full but both taste pretty bad.

I did a shot today but had to mix it with some Water to stretch it out to abt 6 oz. It doesn't taste good but easier to get in than the shakes. The shot I use has 26g of Protein in it.

Your experience sounds like ditto to mine Dec. 27. Congrats on your sleeve Noob, and we'll be looking forward to hearing about your progress! I'm on mushies now, and scrambled eggs never tasted so good.

Only difference is I didn't have the drain or the pain pump. They shot Dilaudid into my IV and at home I had liquid hydrocodone for pain. Worked fine and got off it after about four days.

CC

Thank you for sharing... I have my surgery Friday and I was very interested in learning what the procedure was like... I appreciate your sharing...and the details. Just a suggestion try Gatorade Protein Performance, my doctor recommended it...

Went and got the Gatorade. I used a little sip to chase the Protein shots down. Much better, thanks for the suggestion, Precious Cargo!

I can only have Clear Liquids until 7th day post-op so no shakes for me. I am interested that some people can only have clear liquids first week and others can incorporate shakes, etc. I am envious. Even the shakes sound good about now!

one thing I meant to mention that I didn't expect about the surgery... It was not a big deal, but right before going into surgery they gave me an injection of Heparin to prevent blood clotting and twice post surgery they gave injections of Lovenox (sp). Both in the tummy area. Didn't hurt as it was a small shot but thought I'd share my experience in case it helps others prepare their questions to stay informed about what their own experience will be like. I was also pleased that they did not insert a catheter to keep the bladder empty. They just had me use the ladies room right before surgery. I was pretty numb after surgery so had to make myself try and go. You'll want to keep your bladder empty to avoid UTI. For those about to be sleeved, let us know how it goes! (i'm trying to add the weight loss ticket tracker to share my progress too!)

can anyone tell me how to add the weight tracker? thanks