Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Trip Since My Surgery And What To Eat?

I had my surgery on Dec 11, 2012 and thus far I have lost 30 pounds. I just arrived in Chicago and it is my very first time here. I came to enjoy the city a little and also to attend a conference at which Dr F Garcia who is doing my surgery in Tijuana is speaking tomorrow. I never thought I would see him again and just wanted to come and see him to thank him in person for giving me "My New Life".

I am just wondering what might be the best place for me to eat while I am here and what I should eat. I can not believe that I am in Chicago with all of the fantastic venues and I can not eat much. On the way here I stopped at a Subway and just got the meat, cheese and some light veggies with no bread and ate that for my lunch. It completely satifsified me. I did bring shake mix and Soup mix with me so I do have things to eat but I was thinking about some Mexican.....I could just have the meat, cheese, some black Beans and leave the rest. Anyone have any thoughts on this as I do want to go out at least Saturday evening to enjoy a little meal. I can always bring the left overs back to the hotel and have them Sunday as I had a fridge and microwave.

On Sunday I am going to get plenty of exercise as I want to go out and explore the city. I am staying just off Michigan Ave and really hope it is nice so that I can walk and so some window shopping.....not that I can buy any clothes ;( Anyone else gone out of town for a weekend and made any decisions on what to eat. I know what I can not have and that is good but want something tasty besides a chocolate shake.

I would think the ground beef (just a little), cheese and refried Beans (maybe add a little sour cream to help it go down) would be ok for Mexican at one month out.

But, what does your plan say you should be eating at this point? Everyone is so different with what works for them at certain points and surgeons are all over the board with what they will allow.

At 5 weeks, I was able to eat some meat, but mostly Soups and very smooth fruits and veggies.

Have fun!

I have been eating meats, ,,,ham, chicken, no ground beef yet as was trying to stay away from the fat. I have also been having some cheese and I did make some Beans with some ham and a little cream of mushroom Soup mix. It was quite good as the baby food was getting old. All those things are on my plan and are high in Protein. I think that as long as things are moist and I chew very, very, very good that I should not have a problem. I will stay away from the lettuce as that is not on my plan diet yet. Also not tortilla or chips.< /p>

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. Enjoy exploring the city.

I think I would adore the very-famous Rick Bayless' Frontera Grill in Chicago, but it would be frustrating not being able to eat a regular meal.

Good luck, Chicago is a great city.

Humm, Mexican sounds really good. I couldn't have done it at 5 weeks. I have a hard time handling saying no to the chips and salsa. I am totally addicted to that. Good luck and hope you have tons of fun. ;)