Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did Anyone Eat Anything They Want And Still Lose Weight Immediately Post-op?

I was just wondering if anyone out there that is post-op eats whatever they want and still loses weight? I honestly had the worst time for the first 4 weeks.. I was in the hospital twice for dehydration and couldn't drink but maybe 20-25oz's per day and maybe 30 grams of Protein... I started to eat and drink more around the 5th week and the weight just started melting off.. I flew to Missouri for Christmas to be with my family (I currently live in NY) and i was able to eat anything i wanted.. chocolates, Cookies, ham, dressing, anything.. I mean I could only eat about 3-4 bites total and I was sooooo miserable from being so full, but then when I came back home I had lost 10lbs in 10days while I was gone.. Since I have been back home the last 2 weeks I am still eating unhealthly things like a chicken nuggett, chips and salsa, fried fish.. I feel like a skinny person in a fat person's body. you know how you have those little skinny friends that can eat whatever they want and never gain weight.. that's kind of how I feel, but only taking a few tiny bites of ANYTHING and still losing 4-6lbs per week.

I am 8 weeks post-op and have lost 42lbs total. 27lbs of that was lost in the first 4 weeks. Just wondering if anyone else's experience has been like mine? I only eat chicken and fish ... no BEEF no PORK..

I don't want anyone PRE-OP reading this thinking they can just eat JUNK food after surgery b/c I do think this is a fluke and it might catch up with me.. I mean I have heard of people no exercising during the losing phase and still losing weight but not this.. Please anyone's blunt comments are appreciated..

No haters. But yes, I have eaten whatever I wanted the entire time and the weight simply melted off of me. It might have helped that I really am not much of a sweets person and like to cook so my food choices aren't really seriously horrible. And for the first 6 months or so I didn't really care if I ate or not... I didn't experience hunger, really. But no matter what I put in my mouth, the weight just kept flying off. In the beginning I was sometimes losing 1-2 pounds a day. Seriously.

Now, I've been at 155 pounds the last 3 months or so, and I did gain up to 157 over the holidays. But I weighed myself again this morning and I was back to 155, without really doing anything about it.

I think my experience is pretty atypical, though. Especially when I read some of the struggles people are having here on the boards. :(

I'm so glad that someone else experienced this too. I assumed that I would lose weight even if I ate unhealthy things b/c I mean come on if your only eating 500-700 calories per day you have no choice but to lose weight.. I was 260 when I started my journey and am now 218. It feels so good to be a my weight pre pregnancy. I haven't been this small since I was 17. I am only 27 now but it still feels so good to be so close to the 100's .. Thanks for the info on your journey.. When did you have your surgery?

Thanks for the info on your journey.. When did you have your surgery?

I had my surgery October 7, 2010. I weighed 305 when I started this journey, so I've lost 150 pounds. The sleeve is the best thing that ever happened to me.

My nut encourages healthy choices. That said, I am trying to live, not diet. So, yes, I eat what I want. My philosophy is that food either is or is not Protein. I try to make sure I get my 70g of Protein and 64 oz of Water daily. After that, if I still have room, then I can have what I "want".

I keep skinny cow ice cream in the freezer. I can eat about half of one, but its a nice treat if I want some ice cream. I have also had Cheetos post op. a "single serving" bag will last me several days. I will put a few in a dish to munch and that's usually all I can handle.

My goal is to relate to food like a never fat person relates to food. So, for me, that means not labeling a food good or bad. So far it's working. I have lost 81 pounds in four months.

Btw, I also gave myself permission to eat whatever I wanted on thanksgiving, Christmas and my birthday (next year). I won't worry about any goals on those days at all.

Lissa

I also eat whatever sounds good, BUT my sleeve hates certain foods now that are bad for me anyway. I don't eat sweets or fried foods or baked goods, for instance, because sleevie hates them. I don't eat a lot of meat, same reason. So the stuff I eat, while it may have carbs, usually is "good food" like Beans, dairy, fruits/veggies, shrimp, nuts. I don't worry about it, but I do try to eat a protein-rich food every time I eat (and I eat 5-6 "mini-meals" a day).

My husband had a very different post-op experience, and his diet is a lot more varied than mine, but even he sticks with "healthier" foods post-sleeve. I think somehow our bodies crave the nutrients we need, and since we have so little volume, we now sort of crave the healthier foods. That's been our experience, anyway. I honestly don't really even crave foods I used to love--and I can walk right past a Five Guys burger place to get to the frozen yogurt place (fat-free, fruit on top!) and honestly PREFER the yogurt--me, the former burger addict! Yay sleeve!

Fair warning. I fell into (what I now feel is) the trap of eating whatever I wanted. I did this for 7 months and continued to drop loads of weight. BUT, I hit month eight, my restriction relaxed just a bit and suddenly I am eating whatever I want and not losing. I have only lost two pounds since October 31st. Granted, I am thirty pounds from goal but this is very frustrating. The most frustrating is that I let myself become dependent on poor food choices again when I had a fantastic opportunity to let them go. The obvious answer is get back on the program, but yourself on Diva's bootcamp and move forward. I'm learning the hard way that this is MUCH easier said than done. This is just my experience. Take it for what it's worth.

Best of luck to you!

Amanda

Unfortunately this has not happened to me... I have to be very mindful of what I eat and when I eat it. Since Around Feb/March of last year I have had to struggle with each and every pound lost... *goes a tad bit green with envy...lol*

I ain't being negative, infact I am well proud of anyone who does well with the sleeve regardless of what they eat. It is a tool to stop indulgence! And it works! It is the ONLY way that I have every lost more than 7lbs!

After 18mths of being post op and hanging around here for over a year, I really appreciate that everyone is very different. What works for you might not work for me and vice versa! That isn't to say that one way is right and the other is wrong 'cos we are all individuals wanting the same outcome! You gotta do what is right for YOU.

Good luck on your (and everyone's) continuing success... =]

Something I'm also mindful of is that how my sleeve works now may not be how it works 6 months from now, a year from now, 5 years from now.

I weigh myself regularly. 160 pounds is the magic number where my BMI goes to normal. My plan is to make sure I never go above a normal BMI ever again in my lifetime. So if I ever get to 160 again, I will know that I need to adjust my food choices and re-evaluate. I have no plans whatsoever to have to address 150 lb. weight loss again.