Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 Weeks Post-op And I'm Starving!

I completely agree with you. MAKES ME SO PISSY TOO. I hate when the so-called bariatric experts treat an RnY pouch, a Lapband and a sleeve as the same GD thing. They are not at all the same, and liquids have an entirely different relationship to a pouch as they do to a sleeve. GAH!!! I would SO IGNORE that stupid advice and follow more updated, sleeve-specific best practices -- one of which is Protein shakes and Soups FFS.

Right, I'll stop ranting now. ;) Good luck...

The nurse is an RnY patient from 8 years ago. I think she has him buffaloed. But poor innercint moi....what did I really know? Well, he isn't going to be watching me that closely forever.

Before I start I just wanna say.. holy cow.. lol. cant we all just get along.. lol.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their own opinion which means this...NO OPINION IS WRONG! with that said.

Here is my experience.. just like roseys doc mine forbade Protein shakes.. here is where my degree in CJ and a minor in Chemistry stepped in.. Im kind of a devils advocate.. so basically what i asked my doctor is WHY. and he said exactly what i assumed he would say.. THERE ARE TOOO MANY CALORIES AND CARBS AND SUGARS IN THOSE Protein Drink... which then made me bust out big ole tub of whey Protein ISOLATE COLD fusion powder...

0 CALORIES

0 FAT

0 SATURATED FAT

0 CHOLESTEROL

45 MG SODIUM

0 CARBS

0 DIETARY Fiber

0 SUGAR

27G PROTEIN

0 Vitamin A

0 Vitamin C

156 MG Calcium

0 Iron

THIS IS PURE whey PROTEIN. (NOT THE KIND THAT YOU BUY AT SAFEWAY OR SOME OTHER food STORE) YOU NEED TO GO TO A GNC, OR WELLNESS NUTRITION STORE OR USE THE INTERNET TO GET SOMETHING THAT IS SPECIALIZED.

Once i showed this to him.. he took about 15 steps back and said... OH.. HMM.. and I said.. yup ok so im assuming you approve now.

The shakes that you buy at a normal grocery store is what the docs want you to stay away from because of all the empty calories. . that i can understand. However find something better!

PREFERBLY GET 100%COLD FILTERED WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE!

I am not a doctor, but I trained to be a sports therapist in college, so i do know a lot about what we need to be doing do our bodies to get healthy. Protein helps rebuild muscles after we work out. and yes it does keep us fuller longer, but thats because our bodies cant break it down as rapidly as it can other foods.

Lastly, i had to comment on the acid thing.. sorry if you dont wanna hear it.. but her is MY OPINION.. i don't think its as black n white to call the hunger a pain or an acid reflux.. because in reality its more than that.. while the acid is inside your stomach not crawling out your esophagus, that is when the prilosec will help.. its meant to control stomach acid before it reaches you esophagus that way the hunger pain goes away. by the pill reducing the amount of acid your tummy is holding in the first place. and because so many of us don't get the required amount of fluids then we also get that hunger feeling.

MY SUGGESTION DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. if thats drink a Protein shake, thenn do it, if that means drink more Water than go for it, if it means go and actually get something to eat, hell go do that. (just make sure what your eating is healthy in nature and within your level of food you can consume.

*p.s for those of you worried that you are intaking 8 oz of fluids and still feel hungry later.. just remember that eve tho it may be pureed or Clear Liquids techincally its still having the same consistancy of a Fluid which means its gonna go right thru you.. don't be discourged if your taking in more ounces than you think you should.

LET ME REITERATE... ALL THAT WAS MY OPINION. LOL...

ENJOY. HOPE IT HELPS SOME OF YOU OUT. AND BTW.. THE Protein Shake THAT I HAVE TASTES REALLY GOOD TOO.

Hi Blackanese,

I'm impressed with your credentials. Would u google amazing meal Protein powder and give me your opinion? Its 110 calories but we aren't counting that. I wonder how my doc would've replied to your query.

But he's very authoritarian and doesn't brook challenging questions. He has a scientific response to everything...even jokes. I happened to meet him in the hosp cafeteria where he was buying a small bottle of regular coke. "That's not on the list," I teased him. He grinned. But when we met in his office he launched into a tirade about how the media burns certain "facts" about products into our brains that we accept without question because everyone says it. And then justified his drinking the coke as nutritionally as good as orange juice.

I can't win with him. And since I had the Protein shakes 3 days in a row, my wt is frozen in place. Gah.

Off to swim

Before I start I just wanna say.. holy cow.. lol. cant we all just get along.. lol.

Anyways, everyone is entitled to their own opinion which means this...NO OPINION IS WRONG! with that said.

Here is my experience.. just like roseys doc mine forbade protein shakes.. here is where my degree in CJ and a minor in Chemistry stepped in.. Im kind of a devils advocate.. so basically what i asked my doctor is WHY. and he said exactly what i assumed he would say.. THERE ARE TOOO MANY CALORIES AND CARBS AND SUGARS IN THOSE PROTEIN DRINK... which then made me bust out big ole tub of WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE COLD fusion POWDER...

0 CALORIES

0 FAT

0 SATURATED FAT

0 CHOLESTEROL

45 MG SODIUM

0 CARBS

0 DIETARY Fiber

0 SUGAR

27G PROTEIN

0 Vitamin A

0 Vitamin C

156 MG Calcium

0 Iron

THIS IS PURE WHEY PROTEIN. (NOT THE KIND THAT YOU BUY AT SAFEWAY OR SOME OTHER food STORE) YOU NEED TO GO TO A GNC, OR WELLNESS NUTRITION STORE OR USE THE INTERNET TO GET SOMETHING THAT IS SPECIALIZED.

Once i showed this to him.. he took about 15 steps back and said... OH.. HMM.. and I said.. yup ok so im assuming you approve now.

The shakes that you buy at a normal grocery store is what the docs want you to stay away from because of all the empty calories. . that i can understand. However find something better!

PREFERBLY GET 100%COLD FILTERED WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE!

I am not a doctor, but I trained to be a sports therapist in college, so i do know a lot about what we need to be doing do our bodies to get healthy. Protein helps rebuild muscles after we work out. and yes it does keep us fuller longer, but thats because our bodies cant break it down as rapidly as it can other foods.

Lastly, i had to comment on the acid thing.. sorry if you dont wanna hear it.. but her is MY OPINION.. i don't think its as black n white to call the hunger a pain or an acid reflux.. because in reality its more than that.. while the acid is inside your stomach not crawling out your esophagus, that is when the prilosec will help.. its meant to control stomach acid before it reaches you esophagus that way the hunger pain goes away. by the pill reducing the amount of acid your tummy is holding in the first place. and because so many of us don't get the required amount of fluids then we also get that hunger feeling.

MY SUGGESTION DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. if thats drink a protein shake, thenn do it, if that means drink more Water than go for it, if it means go and actually get something to eat, hell go do that. (just make sure what your eating is healthy in nature and within your level of food you can consume.

*p.s for those of you worried that you are intaking 8 oz of fluids and still feel hungry later.. just remember that eve tho it may be pureed or Clear Liquids techincally its still having the same consistancy of a Fluid which means its gonna go right thru you.. don't be discourged if your taking in more ounces than you think you should.

LET ME REITERATE... ALL THAT WAS MY OPINION. LOL...

ENJOY. HOPE IT HELPS SOME OF YOU OUT. AND BTW.. THE Protein Shake THAT I HAVE TASTES REALLY GOOD TOO.

out of curiosity rosey, are you drinkin the shake with milk or Water? milk can definitely add calories.. and also when are you drinking the shakes..because you don't want to drink them at night, you mainly want to drink them after you have worked out because it helps rebuild muscle that was broken down during the weight loss session.

I tried to check out the website.. but there are a bunch of different powders.. is there one in particular you are looking at... I looked at the chocolate one and even tho it is a great source of Vitamins and minerals there is still a fairly high sugar and carb count.

I also looked at the pomegranate one.. that one isn't as bad as the chocolate it only has 11 net carbs.. which is still pretty high, but as long as you are working out you will burn those off during the day. I would say before you try one of those.. check out your local GNC or wellness center..

the Protein that i use is called NEXT LEVEL NUTRITION

or check out this site http://www.lifesource4life.com/protein.html if you scroll to the bottom of the page it give the nutritional info.. and its not bad.

I deal with hunger all the time. Sometimes, it's real hunger. Sometimes, I believe that I need more food (head hunger) and I actually cause a physical response by obsessing over food. Sometimes, it's my GERD flaring even though I am on Nexium 40 mg. I also notice that stress (I have a teenage son who has a high IQ and an ego the size of Texas!) and worrying about whether I am doing what I'm supposed to can cause me to feel hungrier all day. Finally, I am a food addict. I can do good for a couple of days then I go back to eating fast, taking large bites, drinking to empty the sleeve so I can have more, etc.

I am sharing this here so that if anyone is experiencing any of these problems, maybe this will open their eyes to it.

I didn't see the self sabotage until someone said that they were doing it.

I know heartburn and indigestion because of a lifetime of GERD so I thought people were nuts when they talked about hunger being acid instead. But I had never had an empty stomach prior to the sleeve so I really didn't know what excess acid felt like before it became heartburn or indigestion.

I didn't realize that head hunger could elicit a physical response from your body.

I can only share my experience and draw from my experience to offer advice to someone is struggling. I sometimes reference other's experiences but I feel that firsthand information is way better than second or third hand.

I hope that this post helps someone.

out of curiosity rosey, are you drinkin the shake with milk or Water? milk can definitely add calories.. and also when are you drinking the shakes..because you don't want to drink them at night, you mainly want to drink them after you have worked out because it helps rebuild muscle that was broken down during the weight loss session.

I tried to check out the website.. but there are a bunch of different powders.. is there one in particular you are looking at... I looked at the chocolate one and even tho it is a great source of Vitamins and minerals there is still a fairly high sugar and carb count.

I also looked at the pomegranate one.. that one isn't as bad as the chocolate it only has 11 net carbs.. which is still pretty high, but as long as you are working out you will burn those off during the day. I would say before you try one of those.. check out your local GNC or wellness center..

the Protein that i use is called NEXT LEVEL NUTRITION

or check out this site http://www.lifesource4life.com/protein.html if you scroll to the bottom of the page it give the nutritional info.. and its not bad.

Ok I would take the pomegranet shake when I wake up before I go out to exercise. That satiates me for the whole morning.

I went to GNC just now after the gym: the clerk never heard of cold fusion tho she had Isopure and something with 27g protein....but none were calorie free and she didn't believe I would find a Protein powder without calories. So now,I'll zip over to the link and see what's doing there.

Ty

No offense but I remember you Really Rosy saying in another thread that you ate until you were stuffed, you said that you had to eat the whole container at one time if it was open. Someone told you that you could bust your staple line and it could lead to serious injury or death, and you wanted proof. If you've changed to measuring your portions that's great, but I think we all know the surgery is only one part of the weight loss process, there is a lot of mental baggage that we overeaters have to deal with too to be successful.

I concur that you will not find a Protein powder or shake or shot that is free of calories because it is not possible.

1 gram Protein = 4 calories

Well, thanks for that. None of the powders have no calories. The lowest I saw at GNC was 99 calories...so much for that argument and glad it got checked before I engaged in a discussion with the surgeon. He would've had a good laugh.

No offense but I remember you Really Rosy saying in another thread that you ate until you were stuffed, you said that you had to eat the whole container at one time if it was open. Someone told you that you could bust your staple line and it could lead to serious injury or death, and you wanted proof. If you've changed to measuring your portions that's great, but I think we all know the surgery is only one part of the weight loss process, there is a lot of mental baggage that we overeaters have to deal with too to be successful.

None taken, rhonda...I did say in one or two threads that I had stuffed myself ...but NOT to prove or disprove the leak theory...trust me. I've been struggling with a disconnect between my stomach and mouth/hands . The former says stop eating but the later says no no, just a bit more and you'll feel better! But that was temporary and I'm not experiencing that need to make the sleeve hurt.

As for finishing something open, that is me before the sleeve but hasn't (to my memory) occured since.

I'm familiar with the mental baggage...in fact, I resemble that remark. :)

Again, I disagree, this is a forum for sharing information. By sharing what we are feeling, what has or has not worked for us, etc., that is how one is often able to determine what is happening with them and how to adjust what they are doing to make the sleeve work best for them. I think we all need to be respectful of what each person is experiencing and feeling, regardless of whether we agree or disagree.

yep info sharing is gold but not all info is created equal. I think Dave and I have as much right to post our opinions and feelings - even of a negative sort- as do others who have positive opinions. And all of us have the right to reject and or question what we think is bogus information.

I didn't realize that head hunger could elicit a physical response from your body.

I hope that this post helps someone.

Yep. Question is: how do we reeducate our devious noggins?

Exactly what iperceived one week out from surgery. My mind can triger a desire to eat even tho there's NO physical reality to it.

Rosey,

Where did you find the picture you used for your avatar? My bf really likes it and is wondering. thanks!

Hey Sunshine....how are you doing? Is your hunger better?

I'm still definitely hungry but it is better. I have found that I need more than 70g (what my surgeon recommends as the minimum) in order to feel like I'm not going to claw someone's face off due to hunger. Lately I've had a Protein shake for Breakfast, a bit of meat and a 1/3ish of a banana for lunch, a slice of low fat cheese and some turkey pepperoni for an early afternoon snack, and then Protein and veggies for dinner. When I get closer to 100g of protein I feel so much better.