Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 Weeks Post-op And I'm Starving!

I am in 100% agreement with you. It just another bullshit weightloss gimick. Lap Band & VSL Surgeons need to be hunted down and shot in the streets. Banded 06/05/08 sleeved 11/26/11.

It's been less than two months since your surgery, why do you think it's a gimmick already? Have you lost any weight? Or is it just because you feel hunger still, that you consider it bullshit? Were you not hungry with the band? I never lost my hunger either, but that hasn't prevented my sleeve from being awesome for me.

Objectively speaking, VSG is certainly not a gimmick, there's plenty of scientific research to show its effectiveness at the overall level. I guess maybe for some individuals it doesn't work? But you'd be the first one I've heard of for whom it simply didn't work at all, so I'm curious what your experience is like so far.

I also tire of people repeating the same old retoric

not throughly reading the comment or question.

We want a real answer to our problem

and have no interest in you telling us what your feeling in your body.

Likewise....if you bothered to even read most of what I wrote. Don't take out of context my original post please. Sunshine62103 asked for people to reply. I replied and was attacked for what I found to help me.

Reallyrosy,

I am in 100% agreement with you. It just another bullshit weightloss gimick. Lap Band & VSL Surgeons need to be hunted down and shot in the streets. Banded 06/

05/08 sleeved 11/26/11.

Oh wow, you really went through the mill with both surgeries. I just gained a full lb probably from using liquids with calories which my surgeon forbid. Sigh. What do I do now? If I fast all day and just drink Water then maybe I can lose that pound again?

This is the crux of the matter, Dave. I know I signed up for a lifestyle change and I have changed and am changing progressively. But I didn't sign up to be obsessed with a flipping scale and the diet police waiting for me on a monthly basis. I'm o.k. with the gym and the swim. Its becoming a new religion...fine! I just want to be able to have a life without constant worry @ how much I weigh ...I wanted to get away from defining my success or failure in life by how I look and what I eat.

I keep wanting to shake it all off like a dog shakes Water off its coat and runs away to roll in the mud....

Hey Rosie, fluv your personality! How often are you weighing yourself? How much did you drink/ exercise the day before you weighed? I was thinking that it could be a couple reasons why the scale jumped up a little- either because your body thought it was starving and latched onto whatever it could get hold of, or maybe a little bit if weight from working out- sometimes muscles will retain some extra Water for healing right after a workout. Either way, just keep listening to your body, getting your Protein in, and enjoy yourself working out, and the weight *will* come off. And if it's not fast enough for your Nazi doc, tell him to bite himself where the sun don't shine! Lol!

Oh wow, you really went through the mill with both surgeries. I just gained a full lb probably from using liquids with calories which my surgeon forbid. Sigh. What do I do now? If I fast all day and just drink Water then maybe I can lose that pound again?

This is the crux of the matter, Dave. I know I signed up for a lifestyle change and I have changed and am changing progressively. But I didn't sign up to be obsessed with a flipping scale and the diet police waiting for me on a monthly basis. I'm o.k. with the gym and the swim. Its becoming a new religion...fine! I just want to be able to have a life without constant worry @ how much I weigh ...I wanted to get away from defining my success or failure in life by how I look and what I eat.

I keep wanting to shake it all off like a dog shakes water off its coat and runs away to roll in the mud....

Hey Rosie, fluv your personality! How often are you weighing yourself? How much did you drink/ exercise the day before you weighed? I was thinking that it could be a couple reasons why the scale jumped up a little- either because your body thought it was starving and latched onto whatever it could get hold of, or maybe a little bit if weight from working out- sometimes muscles will retain some extra Water for healing right after a workout. Either way, just keep listening to your body, getting your Protein in, and enjoy yourself working out, and the weight *will* come off. And if it's not fast enough for your Nazi doc, tell him to bite himself where the sun don't shine! Lol!

I treadmilled for 20 minutes with HR at 107, did 12 rep curls with 12 # bar and dunno what its called but lifted bar to feet and up again 10x. Did a bench march for 2 min and then something else laying down...I need to find out the names of the movements. I had two Protein shakes, one egg, 2 oz turkey sli8ces (not deli prep) several bottles of Water, 1/4 small can sliced beets and 2oz chicken fillet done in the pan without any oil and 3 icepops. So for that, I'm punished.

Eh. I know this will change, too, but am anticipating (worrying) that I will have to be constantly moving if I am to lose another ounce. Foooey. if I wasn't sleeved, what would be the difference?

Ty for the cheer.

Sounds like an amazing workout! Yeah, girl! It's probably just your muscles repairing/building. Also, my Wii tells me that it's normal for our weight to fluctuate1-2 lbs in a single day! That's why Weight Watchers only weighs people once a week. Just imagine how proud (and starving/suffering) you would be if you did this regrn without the surgery! You're rockin' that sleeve, baby, so don't let one little pound bring you down! :) also, from my own experience, sometimes I gain a tiny bit, then lose a lot all at once....

Are you able to do future follow ups with a different doc? What I'm thinking of here is one of my favorite definitions of "insanity": continuing to the do the same thing but expecting different results. It seems to me that's what you're up against not only with your surgeon but also his support staff. It's your body and you know what you're feeling/doing/experiencing. If your doc can't get on board with that and figure out how to alter his rigid prescribed diet in a safe way that will help you see positive results, find someone who will. It's hard enough to fight real hunger, head hunger, side effects/complications, etc., etc. You shouldn't have to fight the doc, too. All the best...

hey Susan,

Which Protein drink did you find that you like? I remember when you were sleeved as you were sleeved right before me, nearly 3 years ago. I remember you were really having problems finding one you liked. I am always interested in finding ones that people like, especiallly when they have tried a bunch and hated most of them.

i am lucky that I like most of them. There have been ones that people liked that I found to be very bland, but I didn't hate them the way some people say Protein drinks make them gag.

Daisy, you are so right, I had an awful time finding ones I liked. Right now, what I am loving are the new Yoplait frozen yogurt smoothies. Bill makes them for me and doctors them up by adding a banana and two scoops of vanilla flavored whey Protein. The smoothie by itself is 110 calories. With the added banana and protein it brings it up to 220 calories and 45 grams of protein.

Reallyrosy,

I am in 100% agreement with you. It just another bullshit weightloss gimick. Lap Band & VSL Surgeons need to be hunted down and shot in the streets. Banded 06/05/08 sleeved 11/26/11.

Dave, I am sorry that you feel this way, and have not had success. However, 99% of people who I know that have had the sleeve have been successful and are very pleased with their results. I do not in any way feel this procedure is a gimmick, in fact, I feel it saved my life. In what ways are you having problems, perhaps we can help you figure out why your sleeve is not working for you.

I am still in full agreement with reallyrosy. I also tire of people repeating the same old retoric

not throughly reading the comment or question.

This is very important to us and if your successful thats great. We want a real answer to our problem

and have no interest in you telling us what your feeling in your body.

Again, I disagree, this is a forum for sharing information. By sharing what we are feeling, what has or has not worked for us, etc., that is how one is often able to determine what is happening with them and how to adjust what they are doing to make the sleeve work best for them. I think we all need to be respectful of what each person is experiencing and feeling, regardless of whether we agree or disagree.

I cannot beleive that you are forbidden protien shakes- I have done extensive research on all the weight loss surgeries both here and abroad before I had my band and sleeve done and NONE of the physicians ever said that as a matter of fact the ONLY Thing that all physicians I have found agree on is the fact that Protein Drinks are your new BFF afer any weight loss surgery- I also think that each program can be curtailed personally by a legitimate nutritionist for everyone- I have a friend with the same doctor as me who is a vegetarian.. she doesnt eat fish- so the only way she can get Protein is through drinks....

But regardless- I hope you get over the hurdle and one day will appreciate what you have done instead of despise it... good luck

I am currently pre-op with the Dept. of Bariatrics at Kaiser Richmond. The bariatrics team there FORBIDS the use of Protein Shakes, before or after surgery. I specifically asked my doctor about the reason for this, and the best thing he could tell me was that 1.) people use them as a "crutch" and 2.) he has seen people gain weight from drinking protein shakes. Neither of these things sound like medical facts, and I SOOO WANT to get some shakes (I like Premier Nutrition's chocolate), but I am trying to commit to following my dr's instructions to the letter. It seems like 99% of doctors recommend the shakes...grrr....but I guess some just don't :(

I really don't understand how one woul d get in all their post-op protein without them! I guess I'll find out eventually :)

weight.png

Rosy, from your description of what you ate, it does not sound like too much at all.

In fact, it sounds perfect. You're not eating portions that are too big for your sleeve.

You asked what would be the difference without the sleeve?

for me, I ate tiny portions when I didn't have the sleeve and I exercised my brains out. I would lose 5 lbs and gain it right back. I didn't have the willpower to keep eating small portions. Eventuallly, I " fell off the wagon" and ate half a pizza or a burger and fries. I still exercised all the time though.

Now, I can barely eat part of a burger if I remove at least half of the bun. I can only eat one piece of pizza even though I would like to eat more. Sometimes I eat the toppings off a second piece and then I am too full and uncomfortable.

You will lose a lot of weight, I am sure of it. I know it's discouraging cause it feels so much like dieting. After awhile though, when the weight starts dropping, and you're used to the portions you are eating, I think you'll be happier that you made this decision.

Are you able to do future follow ups with a different doc? What I'm thinking of here is one of my favorite definitions of "insanity": continuing to the do the same thing but expecting different results. It seems to me that's what you're up against not only with your surgeon but also his support staff. It's your body and you know what you're feeling/doing/experiencing. If your doc can't get on board with that and figure out how to alter his rigid prescribed diet in a safe way that will help you see positive results, find someone who will. It's hard enough to fight real hunger, head hunger, side effects/complications, etc., etc. You shouldn't have to fight the doc, too. All the best...

Well, its my body, right and I think I know what I'm feeling/doing but my track record as a body 'keeper' isn't that terrific, is it? I mean this mess is self created. That's why id hesitate to tell the doc he is totally off beam. Do I really know? Do any of us?

Your def. of insanity reminds me of a song my personal trainer shared with me "I love to bang my head on the wall" (4x rep) bop bop "I love to bang my head on the wall cuz it feels so good when I stop!" ;)

I am currently pre-op with the Dept. of Bariatrics at Kaiser Richmond. The bariatrics team there FORBIDS the use of Protein shakes, before or after surgery. I specifically asked my doctor about the reason for this, and the best thing he could tell me was that 1.) people use them as a "crutch" and 2.) he has seen people gain weight from drinking Protein Shakes. Neither of these things sound like medical facts, and I SOOO WANT to get some shakes (I like Premier Nutrition's chocolate), but I am trying to commit to following my dr's instructions to the letter. It seems like 99% of doctors recommend the shakes...grrr....but I guess some just don't :(

I really don't understand how one woul d get in all their post-op Protein without them! I guess I'll find out eventually:)

Hi...do yourself a big favor...be glad you found out way in advance that you don't care for the diet regimine your surgical group follows and find some other group before u commit. Once you've gone thru it, and are craving Protein Shakes, you won't be able to change then.

Also, you might want to ask if chewing gum, sf Jello and Soup will be permitted. I can't have any of those, either.

I do think my group is using a diet they give to RNY patients and haven't bothered upgrading it t meet the needs of sleevers. Whatever, wish u the best of luck!

I read somewhere on either this forum or another forum to not fret if the pounds are not coming off right away. The pounds may not shed right away, but the inches probably are. One thing I did not do prior to my surgery was measure my inches on my legs, hip, bust etc. There have been a couple of days where I looked at the scale and said...Oh My...I didn't lose a pound...I gained one. I even wondered if it was a stall. I don't think it was. The reason I say this is....

While my pounds may not pour off, my thighs are not as tight with obesiosity (not even sure if that is a word). My pants are loose. My face is a bit thinner. I know for certain there are going to be moments where a pound or two does not come off right away, but I am not going to stress about that. I would rather stress about something like ...am I getting enough protien in so I don't have hair loss. Will I have enough energy to get through the day.

I can't speak to other surgeries because my health conditions were such that I could not have them. I too tried the weight loss drugs, the diet changes, everything, and trust me, not eating some of my favorite foods in the world sucks.

To Sunshine62103, I don't know that total hunger will ever go away. I do know if I overeat I feel terrible in my esophagus, which is what this surgery does. It does not allow for excess. Walking. That helps me. Walking and keeping busy. I think I took only a week off of work. I know that is nuts, but I would rather be at work occupied than at home thinking about food or things that are not good for me. Once I get the clearance, I will be working out like crazy. Until then, I am walking, walking, and more walking.

I do think my group is using a diet they give to RNY patients and haven't bothered upgrading it to meet the needs of sleevers.

I completely agree with you. MAKES ME SO PISSY TOO. I hate when the so-called bariatric experts treat an RnY pouch, a Lapband and a sleeve as the same GD thing. They are not at all the same, and liquids have an entirely different relationship to a pouch as they do to a sleeve. GAH!!! I would SO IGNORE that stupid advice and follow more updated, sleeve-specific best practices -- one of which is Protein shakes and Soups FFS.

Right, I'll stop ranting now. ;) Good luck...