Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 Weeks Post-op And I'm Starving!

Daisy and soupawoman,

3 or 4 bites a meal? In my dreams! I envy you that ability. I'm only starting my 5th week on Tuesday and wasn't rx'd ANY liquid calories (but, we just heard that Protein shakes aren't considered liquids...so that's a new thought)

I wonder how many of these shakes can be consumed per day? Those of you who were given the go ahead: were u given a limit on how many could be consumed? I'm a hurry up and get to the gym morning person. I don't like to eat before my workouts. So I would normally (pre surgery of my own devise) drink a double shake before heading out. I'm going to do that this a.m. and will follow with dense protiens for lunch. Gotta get to wild foods (my name for the health food store) for a box of their Amazing something or other powder that's green in color and the most satisfying Protein Drink I ever had. Expensive as all get out, as well.

Since I have a tendency to overdue anything...please respond if you were given limits on Protein Shakes or instructions for how to use them.

Thanks

I was told 70 - 80 grams of Protein a day, and 50 grams a day are still in the form of Protein Shakes. I can't get enough from my mushies yet. I won't start solids until the beginning of February, when I see my surgeon again. Glad you're feeling better.

Interesting how the attack initially was aimed directly at me. My original statement was to Sunshine62103, not to any other poster on this forum. And even more interesting because I was conveying my own insight, and NOT directing it to any other poster on this thread. So I guess it is safe to assume if I post how I (let me underscore that here)...how I interpreted MY sensation of hunger to also be related to acid production, and then get blasted by some person for posting MYinterpretation of what I feel with intention of trying to be supportive to another (Sunshine 62103, who posted the thread, not to any other) by suggesting that MAYBE, that could be a part of the problem, I am attacking someone? That is a bit backwards don't you think? And this poster is still going on and on and on how he or she is not being supported? I never even posted to him or her. NOR have I ever directed any comment back to him or her until I was attacked for MY interpretation.

I too know the difference between my hunger, but acid production does still occur regardless of the amount of the stomach removed. It occurs because the cells that line the stomach are designed to do such. Despite removing the majority of it, the production of acid will occur. That is what the function of the stomach is...it is a hollow organ where acid production...specifically the conversion of pepsinogen to pepsin to breakdown Proteins. Once the food or Protein is broken down, it goes to the smaller intestine for absorption of Water and further digestion. This is why when you are hungry, you will have an increase in stomach acids. The stomach is only doing what it was naturally designed to do. By removing it, you are not stopping its function, you are only allowing a smaller portion of food to pass. That is the purpose of the sleeve. It is a restrictive form of a weight loss surgery. The only time I have ever had heartburn in the past was from pregnancy or from a food that agitated my stomach. The heartburn sensation I have ongoing right now occurs only when I am hungry. This has been alleviated for me when I drink a Protein shake.

And going back to my original post, when I am thinking of a particular food that I miss, I will do something to keep myself occupied so I do not dwell on it, and as I stated, I found it worked for me. How that was an attack on someone is beyond me.

BionicBroad,

I was also informed that I needed to get so much Protein in every day, not only for my body's health, but also to prevent the dreaded hair loss. If I lose my hair, oh well, I will shave it, it will grow back. If it doesn't grow back, well it seems to me that my head will be an interesting canvas for some artwork. biggrin.gif

Reallyrosy....

All negativity aside, I want for YOU to know personally that my post was never aimed at you. I didn't read anything of what you posted, I had only replied to the Sunshine62103 in sympathy because hunger is not an easy topic apparently for most of us. I don't know why you took my comments about my interpretation of heartburn and hunger personally because until you replied I did not even know of your existence. That being said, apparently you have been struggling. I feel bad that you have not had good support from your surgeon. Shame on him or her for not supplying a nutrionist to you. The surgeon, while he or she is obviously the person that sleeved you, is not the person who is going to be in your body or knowing what nutrients you need. I can say this, if I knew you personally in life, I know exactly what I would say to you. I would tell you to tell your surgeon to go to hades and seek a good nutritionist to help you through this journey. I am very happy with my program as my surgeon demands a good nutrionist team to work with him, and they have outlined every single step of the way along with giving me a book they have prepared on what to expect and what to eat. I do wish you luck, but please in the future, if you take any posting I place as something personal, it would be better taken if you asked if that was the intent, you might be surprised to learn that it wasn't.

I drank about 4-5 shakes a day in the beginning. I had one for each meal, and 2 Snacks.

Sometimes I had less than 8oz if I was able to eat a sasisfying mushie meal. Mushies I could eat way easier than solids. I also had Protein Tomato Soup which I bought from my surgeon but I found blending up cottage cheese into Tomato Soup was far less expensive.

Mushies I could eat way easier than solids. I also had Protein Tomato Soup which I bought from my surgeon but I found blending up cottage cheese into Tomato Soup was far less cheaper.

Oregon, I am curious, did your surgeon want you to have a week of pureed as well? In one of the nutrition classes I had to attend, one of many, the nutritionist and surgeon advocated for an extra week of restrictions in the form of pureeds. They had indicated they had added this and it seemed to help their patients better. I am curious is this is the norm. I am looking forward to chewing food again.

Dr Aceves does 10 days of Clear Liquids, 10 days of full liquids and 10 day of mushy foods. Then it's solids as tolerated. That is where I had problems For me, solids in the form of regular meat filled me up and if I ate more than 3 bites, I was so full I was in pain. It wasn't worth it to me. So I gradually added in solids as I could tolerate them, but it was at least a couple of months after that supplementing, with mushie foods and Protein Drinks.< /p>

I absolutely have to start my day off with plenty of Protein, or I am miserable all day long. It took me a while, but I finally found a good Protein shake that I really like, and it keeps me full until lunch time. I almost always have an afternoon snack, usually nuts or something like that. It helps keep me satisfied. At well over two years out, I still struggle terribly with acid issues, and yes, I have found that there are times I have mistaken that as being hungry. But, if I eat just one cracker, it seems to help with the acid and I do much better.

I am really quite shocked that your doctor said no to Protein shakes. That is the first I have ever heard of that from any doctor. That is a major staple for most sleevers.

Susan,

It is good to hear from people who have had years out. With your excess acid production, have you found specific Proteins to keep it at bay? And did you have heartburn prior to your surgery? Do you still struggle with hunger?

I never had a problem with acid prior to my surgery, so I was surprised that I have so much trouble with it now. The doctor had prescribed me something for the first three months, indicating that it takes the stomach approximately that long to realize that it is not as large as it used to be, thus it no longer needs to produce as much acid as it did before. Unfortunately, it appears my stomach never got the message, lol. Most days, as long as I take a Prilosec first thing in the morning, I do fine. Occasionally, I eat something that just doesn't agree with me and then, not even the Prilosec helps. And, when I eat, I had better not even think about laying down for a minimum of one hour, or boy do I pay the price.

As far as hunger, that really has never been much of an issue for me. I can go all day without eating, and not really experience true hunger. I just still struggle with head hunger, usually in the afternoons, which is why I have a healthy snack to combat it.

Thank you for sharing that. I have been curious if part of the reason for the excessive acid is from the procedure itself. I know they use a bougie for making the staple line stiff, and I can't help but think that irritation plus the small size of the stomach with normal acid production is part of it. I have been on prilosec for 3 months. I had been diagnosed with small erosions/ulcers from my scope, but never had stomach upset or reflux. This whole gastric reflux is something new. The only head hunger I have head has been from thinking of a slice of pizza or a coney dog. I'm sick of mashed potatoes and pureed foods. I miss chewing. Thanks again.

Sunshine,

I was sleeved 12/5 and have the same pblm with hunger. Its not acid reflux and if I hear that again, I might scream. I know first hand what relux feels like and this ain't it. I find that I can not eat forever or I have to eat over the top. 2oz is no longer adequate. Period.

I'm betting my sleeve is an utter failure. I don't think the doc made it tight enough or it already stretched out. All I do know is if I say anything to the (military like0 nurse I will be prosecuted with cries of "You are in noncompliance this early out and that means you won't be successful". So I'm not saying boo. I'm just trying my hardest to control what I eat (and another scream is coming to anyone who says weigh and measure...cuz I have everything I can eat in small dishes or baggies already measured or weighed!) And if I could really control my eating I wouldn't have needed a f&^%(}g operation.

Oh yes, one more person to say "life style change" ...that rates violent responses.

I've had it up to here. I think the sleeve is a load of hooey...a definite get rich quick scheme for hospitals and absolute failure for me.

There. I said it.

Reallyrosy,

I am in 100% agreement with you. It just another bullshit weightloss gimick. Lap Band & VSL Surgeons need to be hunted down and shot in the streets. Banded 06/05/08 sleeved 11/26/11.

Really Rosy....

Are you kidding me? Prior to your surgery, did you try medication for weight loss? They feel the same. The only time I have excess salivation is when I want to vomit. They are very similar for many. Heartburn does NOT always include belching or gas. Don't knock what other people percieve as a similar sensation. There is no need for sarcasm on this forum. Obviously other people have had the same sensation. Thanks for your medical knowledge though on the interpretation I have on my own body.

I am still in full agreement with reallyrosy. I also tire of people repeating the same old retoric

not throughly reading the comment or question.

This is very important to us and if your successful thats great. We want a real answer to our problem

and have no interest in you telling us what your feeling in your body.

hey Susan,

Which Protein drink did you find that you like? I remember when you were sleeved as you were sleeved right before me, nearly 3 years ago. I remember you were really having problems finding one you liked. I am always interested in finding ones that people like, especiallly when they have tried a bunch and hated most of them.

i am lucky that I like most of them. There have been ones that people liked that I found to be very bland, but I didn't hate them the way some people say Protein drinks make them gag.