Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 Weeks Post-op And I'm Starving!

I occasionally use a veggie for a snack. I eat my Proteins for meals and one or two Snacks. Sometime mid morning or mid afternoon I might have 3 -5 mini carrots or a handful of fresh snap peas if I either don't have a Protein snack, or am going to have my Protein only in my 3 meals that day

Interesting. Maybe when I can eat fresh veggies I'll go gor that instead!

I am very confused, I am only 10 days post op, I can already and do eat 8 oz's of protien drink for Breakfast. I just finished about 6 ounces of Tomato Soup with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese in it. I do use Iso pure protien and mix it with Water. It' 25 grams of protien. I' m getting all my Water and about 40- 55 grams of protien a day. As of yet, I can tell when I am hungry and it's time to fill my tummy. Does this sound like to much?

I am curious if your Dr was ok with Protein drinks until recently? My sister was told recently that she has to stop relying on the drinks and eat more Protein enriched foods. She is 4 months post op, but is a finicky eater and hasn't progressed because of her taste buds. Do you think maybe your Dr is just trying to make you eat more dense protein?

I cannot beleive that you are forbidden protien shakes- I have done extensive research on all the weight loss surgeries both here and abroad before I had my band and sleeve done and NONE of the physicians ever said that as a matter of fact the ONLY Thing that all physicians I have found agree on is the fact that Protein Drinks are your new BFF afer any weight loss surgery- I also think that each program can be curtailed personally by a legitimate nutritionist for everyone- I have a friend with the same doctor as me who is a vegetarian.. she doesnt eat fish- so the only way she can get Protein is through drinks....

But regardless- I hope you get over the hurdle and one day will appreciate what you have done instead of despise it... good luck

MsHappy and LML,

I too was told to start Protein, in fact mine was on day 4, BUT, I was told to use only Water or low-fat milk. I am now on pureed and get to transition to soft. One thing I have added to my Protein drinks is the SF Toroni Caramel flavored Syrup. I got SF raspberry too, and both add a nice flavor to the Protein. I tried making it only 4 ounces, but gagged because it was too thick. In my diet classes I had to go to I was told to not buy all kinds initially as I may not like the taste. I found a decent whey protein with 27 grams of protein per serving and it is not too bad tasting. With the pureed, I am allowed Peanut Butter which does have more protein than the Soups. I have found however that my hunger feeling does subside with the Protein Drink. I also found the heartburn settled also. It is very logical to have both sensations as gastric acids are only the necessary ingredients to aid digestion. I also find laying flat at night tends to aggravate it. I even have added low-fat plain yogurt to my Protein Drink. It does help. Good luck on your journeys.biggrin.gif

wow, it sure sucks to be hungry.... @reallyrosy.... I went to see my NUT and she told me that my Protein drink is not considered a liquid. Is it possible you can have more than 6 oz of protein?

I am curious if your Dr was ok with Protein drinks until recently? My sister was told recently that she has to stop relying on the drinks and eat more Protein enriched foods. She is 4 months post op, but is a finicky eater and hasn't progressed because of her taste buds. Do you think maybe your Dr is just trying to make you eat more dense protein?

The doc never put me on a diet before the surgery and after I had ensure for 2 weeks and then well chewed protein introducing a different kind first week cottage heese, yogurt, potato, thin Cereal. The second week lose the potato and Cereal and start fish, 3d week chicken and turkey, 4th week meat (which I don't eat red meat) and jan. 15 add salad and raw veggies and 60 grams protein. He claims later I can have vegie juice etc but not this first 6 weeks. He said he wants to take advantage of the sleeve. But the sleeve was taking advantage of me. Betcha I'll have more energy in the gym tomorrow.

I dunno if you are having too much but I was also denied Soup except for broth.

Shrug

But regardless- I hope you get over the hurdle and one day will appreciate what you have done instead of despise it... good luck

Thanks for that sentiment. I sure hope I come to terms with this and that I can be peaceful @ it. Best to u, too.

wow, it sure sucks to be hungry.... @reallyrosy.... I went to see my NUT and she told me that my Protein drink is not considered a liquid. Is it possible you can have more than 6 oz of Protein?

I don't have a separate NUT like u do. Just the nurse in the surgeon's officce. I've emailed her several times and didn't get any answer plus the fact that she "screeched at me" about noncompliance in one early email...well, id rather not ask. Thanks for sharing what your NUT said. I couldn't believe how very calm I felt after my protein drink. I could actually stop thinking @ food. Plus, I took the hint from someone else who said she uses th canned vegs if she's hungry...I had sardines for dinner and I did want something a couple hours later so had some mushrooms (which I didn't like) and then some canned beets. I'm ready for sleep now. Got an early workout at the gym. I think, maybe, I have found a path or something to work wth.

Most people are very caring and willing to share...tho some try to dominate with their own experiences, most can listen to another's point of view and be compassionate. Here's to you...and most people. <grin>

wow, it sure sucks to be hungry.... @reallyrosy.... I went to see my NUT and she told me that my Protein drink is not considered a liquid. Is it possible you can have more than 6 oz of Protein?

I read my instruction booklet after reading all this. Mine say's that I am to drink 8 oz's for meals and 4 oz's for Snacks? I assume once I start solids and we do skip the mushy stage for some reason, I may not be able to consume so much. I read in here where some folks are struggling to get 2 oz's per meal. I feel fortunate that I am not having that problem, but can definitely tell when I' m hungry, my tummy gets moody.

I've compared my new tummy to a new born baby and you have to go through the same steps as bringing a new born home. Another writer mentioned that may be the reason babies cry so much because their little tummies are adjusting too.

Who knows who is correct, I think it's what is best for you.

Lml, does your friend know that Beans and rice together are considered a complete Protein? If she's worried about Beans being cooked in animal fat, she should make her own. If I remember correctly, lentils and garbanzo beans make up much more quickly than pinto or black beans.

There is also a veggie sleever forum here she might reference.

I have a gastric bypass friend who was lacto-ova veggie, which I think is the right term for not eating eggs or dairy. She ate lots of beans and tofu.

Lissa

I'm hesitant to jump into this thread, but I'm going to anyway.

Please, please, PLEASE don't jump on other folks in the forum, no matter what your experience has been.

reallyrosy, no matter where you've been, this should be your safe place to explore what's going on emotionally and physically, not be attacked by anyone in any state of healing.

Hope things get better for you ...

CC

Sunshine: I am 2.5 months out. I noticed, on days I do not consume extra Protein by drinking Isopure Zero Carb Protein drinks (a ready to drink product that is not creamy - since surgery I cannot tolerate whey in a creamy shake type drink) I feel TONS more hungry. The drinks come in two sizes: an 8 oz. that has 15 g of Protein and a 20 oz that has 40 g protein. I try to get in as much dense protein as I can to quell the hunger but using the Ispoure Zero Carb helps add protein when I can't fit in additional food. It also seems to help keep my enegy level up which helps me get longer, more brisk walks in.

Good luck. I hope this helps.

I too, hesitate to jump in here. I can only speak to my experience... and I'm sure i"m going to get blasted. Your sleeve is small. You need to eat frequent tiny meals. I have often found that 3 or 4 bites constitutes a "meal" for me. Am I hungry sometimes 2 or 3 hours later? ABSOLUTELY! And I eat another "meal."

I've lost 150 pounds. I listened to my body (which, by the way completely rejected Protein drinks, so I supplemented Soup instead) and fed it when it needed to be fed. How does a nurse in some office not living in your body know when you need food? I never once felt like I was on a "diet" like I did before I was sleeved. I was easily satisfied with a few bites. Then when my body needed food again I fed it a few more bites until it was satisfied again.

I wish you the absolute best of luck. 100% and truly!

I have not heard of any doctor telling his patients that they could not have Protein drinks.

It depends on how far out from surgery you are.

When I was first sleeved, I had to drink Protein drinks for months. I could only eat 3 bites of solids and that was not nearly enough to keep me going. I gradually moved to food and off protein drinks. In the beginning, they are just so necessary if you can't eat much. I still have one for breafast cause I am not a breafast eater.

oh and BTW, for some people, acid does not feel like heartburn. To me it felt like a gnawing pain in my stomach. I have tried to go off of my PPI and I just can't do it. My stomach just hurts without it. My dr. said it's because our stomachs still made the same amount of acid as it did before they removed most of it. Most sleeve patients are on a PPI for quite awhile after surgery.

Best wishes to you! I hope your hunger goes away and you are soon happy with your sleeve.

I'm hesitant to jump into this thread, but I'm going to anyway.

Please, please, PLEASE don't jump on other folks in the forum, no matter what your experience has been.

reallyrosy, no matter where you've been, this should be your safe place to explore what's going on emotionally and physically, not be attacked by anyone in any state of healing.

Hope things get better for you ...

CC

Thanks for the sentiment, CC.

In an effort to prevent an incendiary situation, I won't reflect on the negative: what's done, is done and I'm confident I handled it with equanimity.

I also want to say that, at my advanced age, I've been on listservs and discussion forums since DOS was the only way to go. While these 'attacks' never are pleasant, one CAN recognize certain limits in an attackers communication and choose to deflect the attack by 1. Responding mildly and 2. Not responding directly or 3.responding selectively to the most helpful messages.

IOW just blow it off. I have no ill feeling toward anyone who responded here. We've all jumped the gun and misinterpreted comments and provoked with seemingly innocuous messages.

A good friend of mine from my working days has to deal with the most contentious groups of people (elementary and jr hi school teachers) and she always comments "bless them" even to the most rabid. I try to emulate that attitude. I hope no one feels excluded or disrespected as a result of anything I wrote.

I've been relying heavily on the good advice of these forums since I woke up after my surgery and I've found the majority here and in other discussion lists are plain good folk who share a common goal and a willingness to reach out to others.

All best,

Rosie