Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 5 Weeks Post-op And I'm Starving!

Please, please, please tell me this is going to go away. I could just cry. I am hungry for most of the day and eventually ramping up to starving. I eat until my sleeve feels full/uncomfortable but I'm still hungry. I eat a lot of Protein and I drink a lot of fluids. I would have loved for my hunger to go away completely but even if it lessened significantly I would be thrilled. Right now I'm just as hungry as I was pre-op and I can't eat enough to make it go away. Anybody have any insight?

Please, please, please tell me this is going to go away. I could just cry. I am hungry for most of the day and eventually ramping up to starving. I eat until my sleeve feels full/uncomfortable but I'm still hungry. I eat a lot of Protein and I drink a lot of fluids. I would have loved for my hunger to go away completely but even if it lessened significantly I would be thrilled. Right now I'm just as hungry as I was pre-op and I can't eat enough to make it go away. Anybody have any insight?

Sunshine,

I am still pre-op, but I have read other posts like yours. It seems like a lot of times, that feeling of hunger your have is either : head hunger OR INDIGESTION/HEARTBURN?! I have read of many, MANY people getting a prescription for Prilosec (omeprazole) and their "hunger" feelings vanishing. it may be something worth trying. Good luck!

Sarah Flag

weight.png

Your surgeon or primary doctor should be able to help by prescribing an H2blocker, an antacid or a Proton Pump Inhibitor. Keep trying until you find one that works. It might take a few tries, but it should help a lot.

Also you might want to document exactly how much Protein and liquid you are actually taking in. Sometimes we think it is more than what it actually is. Many of us here use myfitnesspal.com

Best wishes!

Sunshine,

I was sleeved 12/5 and have the same pblm with hunger. Its not acid reflux and if I hear that again, I might scream. I know first hand what relux feels like and this ain't it. I find that I can not eat forever or I have to eat over the top. 2oz is no longer adequate. Period.

I'm betting my sleeve is an utter failure. I don't think the doc made it tight enough or it already stretched out. All I do know is if I say anything to the (military like0 nurse I will be prosecuted with cries of "You are in noncompliance this early out and that means you won't be successful". So I'm not saying boo. I'm just trying my hardest to control what I eat (and another scream is coming to anyone who says weigh and measure...cuz I have everything I can eat in small dishes or baggies already measured or weighed!) And if I could really control my eating I wouldn't have needed a f&^%(}g operation.

Oh yes, one more person to say "life style change" ...that rates violent responses.

I've had it up to here. I think the sleeve is a load of hooey...a definite get rich quick scheme for hospitals and absolute failure for me.

There. I said it.

Sunshine:

I am almost 3 months post-op and I definitely feel hungry throughout the day. I also have late night cravings, which is KILLING ME!! When I feel hungry I just try to drink Water until I dont feel the hunger or cravings anymore, but it is getting worse.

I feel your pain. Any help or insight on this would be great.

How about having Protein Shakes for Snacks. What kind of snacks are you eating in between meals? I noticed if I eat crackers as these are slider foods,I am hungry faster than when I eat a thin piece of deli ham or chicken, also having my Protein Shake is keeping me sometimes "full" for a while

I too was a little taken aback with hunger. I really thought it would just go away. But if you think about it, its your body's way of telling you that you need fuel. You are living on a fraction of the calories that u took in before your surgery. And trying to go back to the same activity in a day no doubt. So your body needs fuel. The way I got rid of the problem of hunger when I felt it was to eat something. I think its ok to do that. But keep in mind that you need to put healthy foods into your body. You only have a little room in there so theres really not enough room to put anything in there but foods that will help you. I hope it all works out for you, just hang in there, I promise you will become a pro in no time!

The only "snack" I'm allowed is sf ice pops. Or broth or Water. My doc is a sadist. Ice pops in winter??? And NO sf Jello is not approved. He also forbid Protein Shakes. No liquids with calories.

I was sleeved 12/19 and have the same problem. I am on Prevacid and know what acid reflux feels like. AND it is not head hunger. I do eat when I'm hungry, but can only eat so much. When I do eat it is uncomfortable. I never feel "satisfied", only that my sleeve is full. I burp and burp and burp and burp no matter how much or little I eat. I eat Protein, like Beans and tofu. Is this just an adjustment period? How long before my sleeve feels satiated and not just filled with food? If this is what babies go through when they learn to eat no wonder they cry all the time!

I am one of those who never lost the hunger.

It is NOT acid for me.. I am easy satisfied with small amounts of food, but only for about 2 hours . Sometimes 3 but rarely..

I have 3 meals and 2 planned Snacks. It is not slowing my wight loss.

Hang in there!!!

I feel like Iam glad to have the hunger , because there are some who have to set an alarm to eat.. Internal alarm here..

Julie

I'm almost 4 weeks post-op, and like most obese people, I don't know the difference between hunger and thirst. When I feel that I'm hungry, I drink Water for about 15 - 20 minutes, and if the feeling persists, I assume that I'm hungry, and I have 1/2 c. of a Protein food. I get most of my protein from Isopure mixed with unsweetened almond milk. When I haven't taken in at least 70 grams of protein a day, I get hungry. I can't imagine being told to not drink protein shakes! My surgeon recommends them. Your sleeve isn't failing; your body needs fuel. Carby foods trigger insulin, which not only makes us store fat, but triggers hunger. Protein keeps us full, and triggers glucagon, which allows the body to burn fat.

I had surgery in September 2010 and I was feeling hungry within the first week. It has never gone away and I realized ealy on that I could not fit the "model" way of eatting. I eat small amounts about every two hours and that seems to work for me. Someone recommeded I track my intake and what I discovered early on is that I was only eatting about 500 calories since I could only eat such a small bfast, lunch, dinner. That was an eye opener since 500 calories is obviously not enough. I now eat about 1000 calories a day and I eat it in many small meals.

You will find that recommended eating post surgery varies signifigantly by doctor/program and every doctor thinks their program is best. However, every other doctor can't be wrong. I think every PERSON knows what is best for them. I guide my eating by a few simple rules- Protein first, minimal sugar, make the healthy choice. My two cents is this, track your consumption to make sure you are eating enough, but not too much and if you are hungry eat, just make sure it is a healthy choice.

Bionicb

Please don't mke an assumption that I am not eating Protein because I am. But I find if I don't feel very uncomfortable and like I'm going to heave, I am not 'full' and if I'm not full, I haven't eaten enuf. No amt of trickery will get that to change.

At 8a. I had @ 3 3/4 oz Protein. At 11 30 I was starved. I drank Water...no dice. I had a cup of Decaf coffee and got busy planting a bulb. At 12 I put protein in the microwave to warm and ate it alllll (about 4.5 oz) and have that I'm gonna hurl feeling in my middle but my mouth is watering! And if I could, I would shove more protein. But I am out of the kitchen for the moment. I hope this 'full' sensation lasts for at least a couple hours. I am NOT eating sweets or carbs. I am 'cheating' with protein. Something is wrong with my head. The surgeon wanted me to lose another 40# by jan 31 when I see him 6 weeks after. I've lost a total of 35 (incluidng the first 20) and I don't see how I will get to the next 30 without being able to follow his diet of 6 ounces max per day. It makes no sense to me even if I could do it. Starting on he 15th, I'm to eat 60grams of protein per day. He didn't put a limit on ounces. I don't know how that works. All I know is he said NO liquids WITH CALORIES. PERIOD. SO that eliminates Protein shakes. Today is the first day my weight did not go down and, in fact is up 4 oz per the digital scale. I'm afraid I blew the chance I had already. I've tried to get back to 2 oz per meal but there is no way on earth that I can manage it....unless I have my head chopped off as well.

Hi...I too have felt what i thought is hunger, but I believe it is more heartburn. I am nearing 3 weeks and about to switch to soft foods. I don't like the heartburn and I am 100% sure that is what it is. Especially in the am. What I have found that has helped me is this: I go to the mall and walk and walk. I look at the clothes I know I am going to eventually buy and it keeps my mind off of wanting to eat. Then when I go to eat, I make sure it is what I am allowed. I think the largest challenge of this type of surgery is the mental challenge of eating more than necessary. I know that I really miss eating pizza, and it is very tempting, but I don't want to risk what I have been through for a moment of indulgence followed by pain. I will wait until I am safely allowed to eat such a treat, and even then, I know I will have to read my bodies cues and not over indulge. I am happy that I will be able to eventually eat a slice of pizza again or a hamburger, but I am even happier that I am learning to moderate better and making better choices over all. The nice thing is I no longer have any craving for sweets.

One thing I did find that helps with the heart burn is a sugar free mint. The mint helps decrease the heartburn sensation which does mimic hunger.

Good luck.