Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before surgery, the only exercise I got was from walking at the park and shooting birds with my camera. However that got harder and harder because I have a bad knee. So, I started the process of WLS, and the classes I had to attend. Truly, to be successful in losing the weight, you need some sort of exercise. So my husband and I joined a gym. i never liked to exercise. And I could only do the exercise bike for 2 min to start! It hurt my knee to bad at first and I was also winded! That was ridiculous! So I bought an IPOD, and I am now up to 45 min a day on the exercise bike. Plus I do the different weights there as well. I ended up losing 52 pounds before the surgery.

Basically at this point, the gym is the only exercise I get because my knee is so bad now. It's not going to get better. So I am now on a waiting list for a knee replacement! I can't wait to get it over with so I can get out and go hiking and take my camera with me and shoot nature!

OH! I forgot to add, that I really enjoy the gym and exercising! I've worked my ass off to get where I am. And I'm proud of myself. I have a ways to go, but I know I'll get there! success1.gif

I did not exercise before and rarely do now. I did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred for a short period of time post op until I started getting too dizzy. I do like this kickboxing class I have started trying out but that is it. I could handle going roller blading too but anything over that is not my thing and I don't enjoy it.

Prior to surgery I really didn't do any exercise. I had constant back pain and any exercise just exacerbated it. Since surgery I keep saying I'm going to start but haven't really started. My New Year's resolution is to start exercising slowly - no weekend warrior stuff - so that I feel good about myself and so that I start a program I can actually maintain. I went to San Francisco in November and that proved to me that I CAN do it - we walked EVERYWHERE for miles and miles and miles and I didn't hurt and I kept up with my mom (who is about 150 pounds and very fit). So I've started walking a couple of times a week and plan to step it up very slowly. I don't want to look like I'm melting and flabby, I want to be toned!

About 2 years prior to surgery I started working out on a regular basis. Last year I also began the Couch 2 5K program. Absolutely amazing and I even ran 3 miles by the end of the program. I learned to love running. There is something about it that I just can't explain. Only problem was the whole time I was running I "thinned" out but only lost about 10lbs. My feet and heels were the first to be affected then eventually my knees so I stopped. I figured I had tried everything and I finally decided that I was darned if I do and darned if I don't. That's when I made the decision for surgery. I am about 1 1/2 weeks post op (down 14lbs since surgery) and have been walking since New Years Day. Today I did a very light run on the elliptical. I see my skin starting to get saggy so that is a major motivation for me. The doctor has released me in 2 weeks to start running again. I will use the same program again. I fought so hard to be on the losers bench that I will do everything in my power to make sure I stay there! I am really anxious to feel the difference losing some weight will have made on my running performance. I don't doubt that it will be way easier! :)

Thanks, Yecats! This board is always so motivating and inspiring. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't think I'd be where I'm at if I didn't have the support of this board. Best of luck to all.

I have a love/hate relationship with exercise. Pre-op there were months I was religious about it then I'd slack off for months. When my Dr suggested I start some form of exercise before surgery I tried going back to the gym but I was too heavy and it was killing my knees. So I avoided excercise until about 2 months post-op. I still hate the gym but after losing 50lbs I'm having a much easier time exercising. Plus I lose faster when I go to the gym so it's great motivation.

I've always been pretty active on a passive level, walking over driving, taking the stairs over an elevator, parking far away from the store, biking, etc. I've had bouts of dedication to "real" exercise, but of course, from time to time I would fall off the wagon. It was always a huge demotivator when my husband would commit to doing things with me but would stop. It is hard for me to be away from him.

I am newly passionate about exercise, using my home equipment again and going to the gym (I have TWO memberships!). Only time will tell if I am going to keep at it this time. I sure hope so.

I had difficulties making the time to exercise. Excuse me, I wouldn't make the time. I had the time but talked myself out of it. Yesterday I started back at the gym working on my core and I absolutely loved it. It wasn't overly strenuous, and I am a little sore today, but manageable. I will do the core exercises every day to strenghten my muscles and then progress on to weight lifting. I love it. I am 3 months out and havew avoided exercising. I park further out in parking lots, walk during my down time at work. Anything I can think of. I don't want the wrinkly, baggy skin, it's kinda gross. I will probably have plastics in a year or so. Hang in there and take one day at a time. ;)

I do cardio and weights five days a week. Before the sleeve, I was lucky if it was five days a year.

Honestly, I need to ramp up and do more/more intense cardio, to break the stall I'm currently in (I have another 20 pounds to lose, and it's stubborn!)

Sigh...Yecats...I could write a book on this subject.

I would have loved to exercise prior to this surgery, but was not able to. In fact, I have not been able to exercise for several years now, but not because of my weight.

I was always on the small-skinny side when I was younger. I was not crazy about being skinny, and actually enjoyed more meat on my bones. My body has been afflicted with an inflamatory arthritis that eats the cartilage literally from my joints. I have had multiple surgeries for this and a joint replacement already. From the painful arthritis, exercise decreased for me. I was always at the gym prior to this. I would work out 3-5 days a week and never ate fast food. I cooked all my own foods, packed my own lunch and ate a balanced diet. Pain and stiff joints stopped the exercise. Pain over the long term can lead to depression. Depression can lead to overeating. I gained a lot of weight, too much for my joints and bones. Medications for my condition destroyed my bones more and premature osteopenia has set in. This was the last straw and was the reason for this surgery.

Diet pills, fasting, calorie restriction, mild exercise, none of that worked enough to get me back into shape. So surgery was my option. 25 pounds have come off from my frame, along with inches. My joints hurt a lot less, and I have been on my Wii and have walked quite a bit. I love to exercise and plan on jumping back in once I get the go ahead from my surgeon. For now, I can only do walking. For me, exercise is reason to smile and be happy. The natural release of endorphins is a great happy stimulant. I hated taking diet pills, they made me agressive. I look forward to rowing, bicycling, weight lifting, swimming and just being able to jump.

I didn't mind my fatness, I kind of liked some of my curves (especially the ladies up top), but I like being happy and not in pain.

Sorry...that was probably more than you wanted to know, but exercise for me is a lifelong thing I have always done. I pray now that my children never have to go through this disease of joint destruction, or anyone else.

I do cardio and weights five days a week. Before the sleeve, I was lucky if it was five days a year.

Honestly, I need to ramp up and do more/more intense cardio, to break the stall I'm currently in (I have another 20 pounds to lose, and it's stubborn!) Do you enjoy it now or make yourself do it?

Sigh...Yecats...I could write a book on this subject.

I would have loved to exercise prior to this surgery, but was not able to. In fact, I have not been able to exercise for several years now, but not because of my weight.

I was always on the small-skinny side when I was younger. I was not crazy about being skinny, and actually enjoyed more meat on my bones. My body has been afflicted with an inflamatory arthritis that eats the cartilage literally from my joints. I have had multiple surgeries for this and a joint replacement already. From the painful arthritis, exercise decreased for me. I was always at the gym prior to this. I would work out 3-5 days a week and never ate fast food. I cooked all my own foods, packed my own lunch and ate a balanced diet. Pain and stiff joints stopped the exercise. Pain over the long term can lead to depression. Depression can lead to overeating. I gained a lot of weight, too much for my joints and bones. Medications for my condition destroyed my bones more and premature osteopenia has set in. This was the last straw and was the reason for this surgery.

Diet pills, fasting, calorie restriction, mild exercise, none of that worked enough to get me back into shape. So surgery was my option. 25 pounds have come off from my frame, along with inches. My joints hurt a lot less, and I have been on my Wii and have walked quite a bit. I love to exercise and plan on jumping back in once I get the go ahead from my surgeon. For now, I can only do walking. For me, exercise is reason to smile and be happy. The natural release of endorphins is a great happy stimulant. I hated taking diet pills, they made me agressive. I look forward to rowing, bicycling, weight lifting, swimming and just being able to jump.

I didn't mind my fatness, I kind of liked some of my curves (especially the ladies up top), but I like being happy and not in pain.

Sorry...that was probably more than you wanted to know, but exercise for me is a lifelong thing I have always done. I pray now that my children never have to go through this disease of joint destruction, or anyone else.

Wow... you have been through a lot. It is weird though. You had to stop exercising b/c of your illness but need to start back up to feel better. Bless your heart. Like a catch 22. I hope I enjoy exercise more after being sleeved and losing some of this weight.. Thank you for your post, informative. It really made me think. This sleeve really does give us new oppurtunities, not just weight loss.

Here is my 2 cents.........

I had my WLS on May 2011, lost all my weight I had wanted to lose in 6 month. i felt fantastic, and I didn't have too much lose skin, so I decided I didn't need to excersize cause I felt great. Then came my 6 month check up with my wls dr.......

I saw his assistant this time, and of course the question came up if I was excersizing....I cudda lied....lol, but i was honest......and i said, not so much. he explained to me why is was so important for us to exersize after losing weight. This is what he said, and it made total sense.

When we are over weight, that fat supports our bones, when we lose the fat, we lose the support for our bones. if i want to be comportable when i'm older, I getter start exersizing now to build my muscle back. That's all it took, now i'm exersizing 4 to 5 days a week.

I thought everyone was telling me to exersize so I would look good and feel better.....lol

So, even though you feel good, it only takes a few minutes out of your day to do a lil something for your bones!

lol...i guess I should proof read b4 i send....i see several spelling errors...sorry1

Here is my 2 cents.........

I had my WLS on May 2011, lost all my weight I had wanted to lose in 6 month. i felt fantastic, and I didn't have too much lose skin, so I decided I didn't need to excersize cause I felt great. Then came my 6 month check up with my wls dr.......

I saw his assistant this time, and of course the question came up if I was excersizing....I cudda lied....lol, but i was honest......and i said, not so much. he explained to me why is was so important for us to exersize after losing weight. This is what he said, and it made total sense.

When we are over weight, that fat supports our bones, when we lose the fat, we lose the support for our bones. if i want to be comportable when i'm older, I getter start exersizing now to build my muscle back. That's all it took, now i'm exersizing 4 to 5 days a week.

I thought everyone was telling me to exersize so I would look good and feel better.....lol

So, even though you feel good, it only takes a few minutes out of your day to do a lil something for your bones!

That makes perfect sense.....and you're just going to be in better health if you do.... :)