Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gonna Get To Goal. Wanna Join Me?

Hey everybody! This is my favorite forum-within-a-forum so I thought I would post here that I have submitted a blog entry here at VST

http://www.bariatricpal.com/blogs/entry/29627-two-years-come-and-gone-so-fast/

I hope everyone can take a minute and check it out, today is my 2 year surgiversary and though I'm not at goal yet, I'm a hell of a lot farther along than I was the morning I walked into the OR! Thank you all for your support, I've uploaded pics!! :)

GT, I've just looked at your pictures and I have to say, I am in awe.... you, whether you like it or believe it, are a true inspiration to me (something I don't say lightly).

Not only have you completely changed the way you look, your whole body language has changed too... you gotta get your head into the same zone as your body 'cos lady, you look fecking amazing! That blue dresss is beautiful!!!

Globetrotter, I just checked out your post and your pics, and WOW. I totally agree with Coops--you look absolutely amazing!!!

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback on my pic. :-) I am less worried these days about cameras being aimed in my direction--I used to literally jump up and volunteer to take the pics for everyone so that I wouldn't actually be in any of them.... now I just do like everyone else and smile.

Got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist--remember I was having some spells of shortness of breath on exertion. Both pulmonology and cardiology have given me a thorough check up and multiple tests and have found nothing.... I'm still having the symptoms, but at least I'm relieved that it's not anything horribly serious (no plumbing or electrical issues). Next step is an allergist, since it seems to be tied to some allergy-like symptoms, too.

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to up my salt intake and drink more Water (have rediscovered Mio and sugar-free Torani Syrup and how yummy they make Water taste!). We have been eating a LOT of veggies and fruit this summer and I think that's the reason for the slow but continued drop in weight. Also remember I set my own goal at 190 after my nutritionist set it at 212--and I'm so tall that it's just hard to know what a good goal would be. I keep the ticker on just so that newbies can see what is possible, but I imagine my ultimate weight should really be 170 or so--which would put me, I think, in a size 10/12 M/L. Currently, at 182, I'm in a 12/14 and L with occasional forays into M or XL depending on the item of clothing and how easily I can move in it (as a conductor, I have to have a lot of room for upper body movement in my professional attire).

So we're just going to keep doing what we're doing around here. I hope we can keep it up when school starts; that's always been the hard part before.

Globetrotter' date=' I just checked out your post and your pics, and WOW. I totally agree with Coops--you look absolutely amazing!!!

Thanks everyone for the nice feedback on my pic. :-) I am less worried these days about cameras being aimed in my direction--I used to literally jump up and volunteer to take the pics for everyone so that I wouldn't actually be in any of them.... now I just do like everyone else and smile.

Got a clean bill of health from my cardiologist--remember I was having some spells of shortness of breath on exertion. Both pulmonology and cardiology have given me a thorough check up and multiple tests and have found nothing.... I'm still having the symptoms, but at least I'm relieved that it's not anything horribly serious (no plumbing or electrical issues). Next step is an allergist, since it seems to be tied to some allergy-like symptoms, too.

Meanwhile, I'm supposed to up my salt intake and drink more Water (have rediscovered Mio and sugar-free Torani Syrup and how yummy they make Water taste!). We have been eating a LOT of veggies and fruit this summer and I think that's the reason for the slow but continued drop in weight. Also remember I set my own goal at 190 after my nutritionist set it at 212--and I'm so tall that it's just hard to know what a good goal would be. I keep the ticker on just so that newbies can see what is possible, but I imagine my ultimate weight should really be 170 or so--which would put me, I think, in a size 10/12 M/L. Currently, at 182, I'm in a 12/14 and L with occasional forays into M or XL depending on the item of clothing and how easily I can move in it (as a conductor, I have to have a lot of room for upper body movement in my professional attire).

So we're just going to keep doing what we're doing around here. I hope we can keep it up when school starts; that's always been the hard part before.[/quote']

Hey, MeginNOLA, you look great! As for the asthma. Thought I would tell you that my daughter went through a period of exertion related asthma with the same symptoms. Had to use an inhaler when involved in exercise/sports.

Thanks, NannieG. I thought it was exercise-induced asthma, too, but my ENT and pulmonologist say no asthma--I've had pulmonary function tests and all sorts of exercise tests. It's not life-threatening or even "dangerous," but it's frustrating and distracting when I'm working. So we'll see how it all turns out. :-)

Well, y'all, I just did a really stupid thing. My husband and I had dinner at Houston's, where I enjoyed some spinach dip and a few bites of baked potato and salad--nothing strange about that, per se (although I don't eat potato a lot these days). AFTER dinner, however, we two sleevers went for a short walk across the parking lot TO A STUPID MARBLE STONE CREAMERY, where we proceed to order and consume ice cream. Full-fat, full-sugar, super sweet, ridiculously expensive (calories and money!) ice cream. We ordered smalls, of course--I asked for cherries in mine, my husband had banana. Understand, we never do this--we used to go out for ice cream pre-sleeves; now, when we get the ice cream jones, we go to Red Mango and get low-sugar fat-free yogurt with fruit topping. This was not that.

So we eat the ice cream and it's tasty but not as good as I seem to remember it being--and almost immediately, we look at one another and groan. It HURT something fierce. I am not lactose intolerant--I drink milk, eat cheese, and eat lots of yogurt daily. But I am telling you, it was like some balloon was inflating in my abdomen just below my stomach area--I have never seen/felt bloating like that in my life! My husband, too! It was just the strangest thing.

We had to drive home from there--it's 40 minutes or so from where we were to our house--and the whole way home, we were telling feeble jokes, trying to keep each other's mind off of things--I'm glad to say I didn't feel nauseous or like I would be sick, but it physically hurt--like stomach cramping or menstrual cramping but in between those two zones, if you get my drift.

We made it home and collapsed on our bed and just lay there for a while, stomachs gurgling so loudly that we just laughed hysterically, holding our stomachs because laughing hurt. We made a pact that we would not be doing this again... I don't know why we did it in the first place, except that it was sort of a silly, joking, "let's splurge" moment. Taught us a lesson, that's for sure.

This isn't "dumping," because I know what that feels like--happily, this didn't bring on any nausea, cold sweat, bathroom emergencies, etc., but it was a STUPID DECISION that brought both of us some serious discomfort... On the one hand, I'm sorry we did it, and on the other, I'm glad to know the consequences, as that will definitely stick with me next time I think I want some ice cream. YUCK, and no thank you. Y'all learn from my idiocy and watch out for ice cream (although y'all are much more disciplined and probably wouldn't go there in the first place).

I am really not doing well right now. This weekend I have pretty much eaten what ever I wanted. Today I have been grazing all day long. I am such a fast eaten and I never have any consequences for eating fast. I wish I did. Instead, I just eat small portions. I usually eat really low carbs but this weekend, I had difficulty with retrieving names and stuff and that's caused by being in ketoses. So I went for lunch with my hubby and ordered 2 eggs and a short stack of blueberry pecan pancakes. OMG, the eggs were humongous, they looked like dinosaur eggs lol, and the pancakes were humongous also. I ate the eggs first and a couple bites of the pancake (I was hoping it would help get my thinking back). It's like I have become mindless about eating and have reverted back to past behaviors. I don't know how to get back to being mindful and diligent about what I eat. So frustrated. Sorry this is so long.

Meg: The ice cream decision was humorous. Thank you for sharing. The decisions we make off the cuff are not always the best, but once in a while is ok. Sorry you had tummy freeze! :)

Meg - what a strange reaction to ice cream! Do you think it was a combination of the sugar and processed ingredients as you are so used to organic foods? I can see why you turned to the funny side of things 'cos that experience doesn't sound nice at all! I don't get any issues with sugar or any kinds of food... I think I have the constitution of an ox!

How long did it last? Hope you are better now!

Dorrie... don't beat yourself up over a few 'bad' days with food choices... c'mon! Look at your progress and look how far you have come. With a BMI of 23, I consider you to be a goal so what is a few days 'off the wagon' gonna do? Try changing your train of thought... instead of thinking you've made 'bad choices' remind yourself that you have a low BMI, a good weight loss and that you are now allowed to chose a treat now and again. That way you don't beat yourself up about enjoying foods that you normally wouldn't eat.

That is what I do. Friday for example; my kids went on holiday with my parents for two weeks... before they went, my daughter had a huge bag of Revels (one of my fav chocs), I was also given a small box of Maltersers (also choc). So as a farewell treat, the three of us ate the chocolate... and I have to say, I enjoyed every mouthful!

When they had left for the airport, I had to go and get some milk... in the shop I bought another small bar of choc with the mindset of 'Oh well, I've just eaten a 'load' of choc, I might as well have some more'. That choc bar is still in the fridge and it is now Monday. Because my train of thought was that it was OK to eat the choc, I felt that I had eaten enough to satisfy my cravings, enjoyed the munching and being 'naughty' with my kids and that was that. I beat my own head...lol!

Be kind to yourself Dorrie... remember all the good advice you give us... remember your words of wisdom!

Yes, be kind to yourself, the fine line we dance upon however is being kind to ourselves and not beating ourselves up, yet not reverting to old behaviors. The good news is you were aware of your actions and now have the tools to change them.

Oh gosh, that ice cream! groan!! If I eat regular ice cream I get what I can only describe as "the bends", a hideous sensation like that moment when a good tipsy turns on you and you are unhappily drunk. barf city.

I'm hoping I've turned a corner in my doldrums, went to yoga both days last week, and a 3.25 mile walk with a friend so today (Monday) I am determined to go back to crossfit and start this first week after my 2 year surgiversary off right!

Coops and Globetrotter, Thank you so much for reminding me of my daily journey. This is not a race and I am human. I got on the scale today and was on my high bounce. I have been going through a lot of emotional baggage with family and realize that I have been focusing on food. Old behavior that needs to change. Both my MIL and FIL have passed away and my family are acting horribly. They practice their religion with such zest, but their behaviors are soo soo bad! This has brought up a lot of past issues that I had choose not to see and now have realized that my intuition of them where 100% correct but I had discounted my inner wisdom and thought that it was something about me. It was about them, and always has been. I have also come to the conclusion that I love my life, and am in such a great place with a great support system. I couldn't ask for anything better than this. Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and reminding me that you guys are there for me. You guys totally rock! Keep it up. :)

Hey I have a giant snicker's bar in my house, it has been there for a week! I'm going to see how long I can keep it there, I'm not tempted by it, it's sorta fun to keep it around like, in case of emergency, break glass :)

Emergency chocolate? :-) Man, y'all are disciplined. I don't even bring regular Hershey's Syrup in here because you KNOW I'll have at that!! Dorrie, I agree with the others--BMI 23? Girl, you're allowed the occasional treat. I also hear what you're saying about being less mindful, but it sounds like you've had a lot to deal with. Personally I think you're doing great, what with all the extra drama and family stuff. You obviously realize it's not a good thing to fall back into old habits, and I really don't think you have/will--it's okay to chill for a bit when you have lots of stressors going on. It's all about care of the self, which includes care of the body, but self first, in my opinion. As long as body isn't treated poorly for long periods of time, which you're not doing. Does that make sense? I'm sending positive vibes to you for peace--family stuff can be the worst hassles and the highest drama.

GT, sounds like you're on an upswing! I so admire your workout routine! The most exercise I've gotten in the last few weeks has been walking around (and across parking lots to ice cream shops, LOL)--I've GOT to get on the stick with this or I'm going to turn into a tall line of mush, when what I want is to be a tall, lean, sleek Athleta model--have you seen those women? My husband prefers curvier girls, but I totally admire those physiques--they're all long and lean and muscled and strong looking--THAT look is one I admire--the look of strength, like your body would be able to do whatever you asked it to do. And I know to get there you have to DO more than just walk around--!! It's like the last piece of the puzzle and I just cannot seem to motivate myself to do it! I'd rather clean out my office (YIKES) than exercise!

Meg: thank you. this is a great reminder of how quickly I judge myself. i am totally in fear mode as to being able to eat a lot more. I just have to pull myself back in to reality and focus on eating healthy meals. So much fear can also sabotage me. Thank you for the reality check. I too need to exercise. In fact, I'm going to go get dressed and take a nice walk in the park. :) I also struggle with exercise. :)

Just had to pipe in today! Don't you just love the fact that we are talking about our TWO YEAR SURGIVERSARYs??? And we have lost tons of weight and we are healthy and we may slip up and eat ice cream (MegNOLA lol!) but, boy, how wonderful is this new life! Best to all!!!!

Indeed! Over the weekend I showed a digital photo album to a friend of mine, chronicling my progress from pre-op to current. I watched her face as she watched the slideshow, looking for ... revulsion, fascination, horror, I don't know. She showed none of those negative things but at one point she whispered, "you look so ... sad". I was a little startled, I didn't expect her to pick up on that! I said, "yes, I was sad, sad all the time, filled with sorrow at the prison of my body and helplessness." She said that made her want to cry!