Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My name is Mandy, I'm 36 and a mom to an almost 13 year old. She was born June 2001. I was born in Jacksonville Florida, and moved all over the country as a kid. I attended 9 schools between kindergarten and graduation. I moved to Chicago in 10th grade. And lived there for 17 years, the longest I have ever been in one place. Then my daughter was diagnosed with a bleeding disorder, and the dryness of the heat being used 7-8 months a year caused her to have excessive bleeding issues. We came to Florida to visit and spent 6 weeks here over her summer vacation. In Chicago she was in the ER at least once a week for severe bleeding. We spent 6 weeks without a single bleed that we couldn't stop on our own. So we went back to Chicago, packed our things, put our home on the market and moved back to my hometown of Jacksonville Florida. My husband is a conductor for the railroad, as was my dad before retiring. My daughter wants to be a graphic designer one day and will be attending a magnet school for performing arts, and digital arts. She is a very talented artist, and I couldn't be more proud of her and her determination to get to her goals. I was a body piercer in chicago and I have worked in some amazing tattoo shops. About 40% of my body is covered in tattoos, and I have won several awards for my tattoos. My artist is like a brother to me, and we have been friends for over 17 years. He has done most of my work, and I will either go back to Chicago or have him come here to visit to do some more work on me. I love to swim, surf, and cook. I am a trained chef, and I can cook just about any style of food, and I'm very popular at church functions, and parties. :) We have 3 dogs, one Australian Shepard Mix named Kambria, Kammi for short, an English Toy Spaniel Mix named Louie, and a Cavalier King Charles named Leopold. They are all 3 rescues, and I love them like children. We also have 2 red foot tortoises, named strawberry and Squirt. They are adorable, and act like the dogs. lol, they come when they are called, and know when and where food goes into their cage.

Hi, my name is Jennifer. I'm 31 but I'll be 32 by the time I have my VSG surgery. My surgery is scheduled for June 18, 2014. I love music!!! I love dancing and singing!! I enjoy hanging out with my family and friends! They are the people that keep me sane! I love my boyfriend with all my heart even though I want to slap him sometimes. Both my family anf my friends have been really supportive in my decision to have surgery. I have been overweight since I was around 10 years old. In high school I lost about 40 pounds but then gained it back when I started college. After I graduated college I lost about 100 pounds but of course gained it all back and then some!!! I've been on so many diets and weight loss meds I can't even count them all. Recently one of my co-worker suddenly past away! She was so young. She had an aneurysm. She was such a happy person and loved life to the fullest. Her passing made me start thinking about my life and all the things I want to accomplish! I made my decision after alot of research and discussion with 3 of my co-workers who had the VSG surgery. I am more excited than scared about the surgery. My surgeon, Dr. Drake Bellanger is one of the best there is!!! That's about all I can think of right now but if I think of anything else I'll post it!!! :)

I am 63 years old, been married for almost 40 years with two daughters, 25 and 20 yrs old; luv my two dogs, a chocolate lab and a beagle. I am retired. I enjoy cooking cuisines of other countries, minimizing the fat and carbs. I have a lot of trouble being consistent with aerobic exercise, either because my hip joints hurt when I do it, or I feel depressed and don't feel like doing anything.

I have a BMI of 38 and was tired of trying to lose weight, losing a little, and gaining it back. I have diabetes, sleep apnea and non-alcoholic fatty liver. I recently found out that the NAFL is progressive, which will result in another loss of pancreatic islet cells, eventually leading to my needing to use an insulin pump. To reverse the NAFL, I was told I would need to lose ALL the extra weight so my body will next take the fat cells out of the liver so it can work properly again. I went to the surgeon's presentation and was happy to hear that there were less-invasive options for bariatric surgery than gastric bypass and decided to get the gastric sleeve surgery. It sounded like I would be satisfied with less food and not feel hunger. I was pretty excited and thought this was the answer.

Today was my first nutrition class. I found out that I would never be able to eat enough to nourish myself completely, and that I would have to sprinkle Protein powder over my food to amp up the Protein. I believe I would lose a lot of weight, but am worried that I'd be taking away any "normal" fun I would have tasting food and trying new recipes. I could cook them, but not be able to each very much at all. Sounds like no fun. I have read posts from other people on this board being cold all the time or gaining the weight back, or they need to eat 800 calories to lose weight. I thought, "I need to eat 1000 calories/day to lose weight now, how is that different? I am seriously considering dropping out of the program and not getting the surgery. Maybe I could join a bicycle group that rides frequently. I don't know what to do.

Hi, I am Robbin, 37, married over 16 years and have three children (d-14, s-12, s-9). My husband just got out of the Army after 17 years. We currently live in a small town in Kansas and will be relocating and closing on a house May 5th in Kansas City MO! We are a very outdoors type family, even though I seemed to slow us down a lot. By getting too hot too fast, or too tired. My kids are very into sports, and it had become increasingly more difficult to sit in those stands/bleachers for hours on end. We enjoy hunting, fishing and camping as well, even though it was quite a feat for me to even get ready, let alone walk out to the hunting stands or docks.

I had my sleeve done 3/26/14. I have been wanting this surgery for a few years now, but did not qualify according to our insurance, until about 6 months ago. I was diagnosed all at once with Diabetes type II, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea. Then within a month I was on the fast track to getting my sleeve!

When friends have asked why I wanted this, it was simple. I am only 37 and diagnosed with everything that both parents have and weren't diagnosed till their mid 50's! I want to be able to be out there and practicing with my children with their sports. I want to be able to grab my fishing pole and tackle box and walk out to the pier without the hub or one of the kids carrying everything for me and having to sit and rest before setting up to spend a few hours on the lake! I want to jump up and cheer when my child hits the ball, makes a great serve or makes that big tackle! I don't want to hide or make an excuse not to go, every time my husband has a work function. I want to go dancing and not to Just Dance in my living room. I want to be able to bend over and tie my shoes rather than putting my ankle on my opposite knee to do it.

I am looking for a way to talk with others that have been going through the same things and making connections with others! I am looking forward to starting the exercise phase. I have wanted to try Zumba, but am totally not coordinated! Then I found out the local Y has Aquatic Zumba! It sounds like I would really enjoy it!

RJ,

What was your start weight an what's your goal weight? How was the surgery experience? How are you feeling? How much have you lost?

Lots of questions huh? Lol!

RJ,

What was your start weight an what's your goal weight? How was the surgery experience? How are you feeling? How much have you lost?

Lots of questions huh? Lol!

I'm 5'2", HW 225, SW 201.5, CW 186. The surgery went well but had a lot of post op complications that kept me there for 6 days. I am doing pretty well. Most days I can get all my Protein in, some I just can't.

What kind of post op complications?

What kind of post op complications?

I had internally bleeding and had to go back into surgery and lost a lot of blood. I needed a blood transfusion and it took them a while to find a donor match because of antibodies in my blood type. Closest bank was 2 hours away.

I had internal bleeding and had to go back into surgery. Had lost a lot blood and had to get a transfusion, which took a while to match my blood because of antibodies in my blood. Nearest bank was two hours away.

Wow that's awful! Glad your ok!!!

How/where was the internal bleeding located and where did you get your surgery?

My name is Evie

I'm 39 years old got married in 2004

Been type 2 diabetic since I was 20 years old

Hubby n I have no kids been infertile due to my weight and diabetes my weight was up to about 300 lbs! Drs had done all the fertility testing HSG , endometrial biopsy, ultrasounds , hormone panels and everything looked fine! My gyno suggested I get the sleeve surgery ! I was shocked and insulted at the same time! I guess it was a reality check! Uncontrolled diabetes on several medications even thyroid meds!

My Sw 300 weight surgery day 276 cw 237

I went through kaiser harbor city for my sleeve surgery. I have had no complications. I'm still diabetic but my meds have been reduced by 75%

Only taking Metformin pills now! Yay!!!

My hubby is a 3rd grade teacher and I am a para-educator in special ed for high school students with learning disabilities!

Now that I am post op with the sleeve surgery I feel so much better about life I'm not depressed like I was back then! I can see a light at the end of the tunnel! I hope to have a baby some day soon too!

Now that most of my stomach is long gone the ghrelin hormone is gone too! I'm not hungry/starving all the time! I have less mood swings and my pcos is better too!

My family was opposed to me getting the surgery ! They kept saying your gonna die! You will not wake up from the surgery ! My own family saying this to me! I went for it and I am so glad I did! I am happier and healthier than I have ever been!

Plus my marriage is happier too because I'm not sickly or in dumps all the time! Yay me!

Be brave! Investigate your surgeon! And begin your new life post op! It's not easy but worth it!

Take care everyone !

Hi. I'm 15 years re-married, 2 grown daughters, and a young teenage daughter. I turned 40 2.5 years ago and something seemed to change. Besides watching my body start to fall apart with aches and pains that were the result of my weight, 4 days after my 40th b-day, I was told that I was pre-diabetic. I had watched my mother and father struggle their entire lives and eventually fail the 'weight game'.

I had been brought up around good food, reward food, and just because food. My father died in 2012, an amputee and a shut-in because of his unhealthy habits. My mother had to have both hips replaced in 2012 because she couldn't hardly move anymore, let alone walk.

I hated leaving the house because of my own weight issues, the hassles that getting out bought, and the embarrassment I know I placed on my children because of t. But with my 40th, something seemed to change with me. I was tired of my excuses, not for just my weight issues but for a lot of things in my life.

So I made changes. I started the road down WLS road and I quit smoking. I worked with spine doctors for an entire year to help treat what should have been just a bulge in my neck but ended up being a ruptured disk. In November 2013, I had surgery for corpal tunnel. Jan 2, 2014, I had lasik. Jan 24, 2014 I had a discectomy and fusion done on my neck, and while recovering for that surgery, I had my sleeve performed on Feb 28, 2014.

I had never topped the scales at anything past 280 until I stopped smoking, where I easily gained 20 lbs... but it has been the BEST gift I've ever given myself! The Sleeve being a close second.

I'm 6 weeks past my surgery, having lost 50 lbs (20 of which I put on after I quit smoking). I'm feeling better, and I hold out hope that my lower back will feel the relief from my weight loss and not require further attention from my spine doctor.

The past 2 weeks have been difficult, 1 plateau after another, upset stomach.. but I know that I'm still healing and I'm still learning.

I've enjoyed the journey, and I'm really looking forward to the new me I see everyday.

Hi. I'm 15 years re-married, 2 grown daughters, and a young teenage daughter. I turned 40 2.5 years ago and something seemed to change. Besides watching my body start to fall apart with aches and pains that were the result of my weight, 4 days after my 40th b-day, I was told that I was pre-diabetic. I had watched my mother and father struggle their entire lives and eventually fail the 'weight game'.

I had been brought up around good food, reward food, and just because food. My father died in 2012, an amputee and a shut-in because of his unhealthy habits. My mother had to have both hips replaced in 2012 because she couldn't hardly move anymore, let alone walk.

I hated leaving the house because of my own weight issues, the hassles that getting out bought, and the embarrassment I know I placed on my children because of t. But with my 40th, something seemed to change with me. I was tired of my excuses, not for just my weight issues but for a lot of things in my life.

So I made changes. I started the road down WLS road and I quit smoking. I worked with spine doctors for an entire year to help treat what should have been just a bulge in my neck but ended up being a ruptured disk. In November 2013, I had surgery for corpal tunnel. Jan 2, 2014, I had lasik. Jan 24, 2014 I had a discectomy and fusion done on my neck, and while recovering for that surgery, I had my sleeve performed on Feb 28, 2014.

I had never topped the scales at anything past 280 until I stopped smoking, where I easily gained 20 lbs... but it has been the BEST gift I've ever given myself! The Sleeve being a close second.

I'm 6 weeks past my surgery, having lost 50 lbs (20 of which I put on after I quit smoking). I'm feeling better, and I hold out hope that my lower back will feel the relief from my weight loss and not require further attention from my spine doctor.

The past 2 weeks have been difficult, 1 plateau after another, upset stomach.. but I know that I'm still healing and I'm still learning.

I've enjoyed the journey, and I'm really looking forward to the new me I see everyday.