Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 Days Post Gastric Sleeve Surgery And Feeling Weak

Well... I have survived the "clear liquid" phase. And I am almost done with the "full liquid" week. I am surprised how easy it has been to NOT eat! I have yet to actually feel hungry... just a hint in how my entire body feels (dizzy, light headed, weak ect.) tells me I should eat. I have found that I carry something to drink with me 24 hours a day... I am always thirsty. I am trying to push the protien drinks but quite honestly, YUCK.

I am certain I am not getting enough protien right now. I am really trying tho. I am hoping graduating to "mushy food" on Saturday will give me an easier time with the protien intake.

I have very few complaints. The discomfort has been quite tolerable. I think my biggest complaint-concern is the lack of energy I have. And I feel weak most of the time. I climb the stairs into the office and I feel as tho I climbed Mt. Everest!! Prior to surgery I was walking 2-5 miles a day, working 5-6 days a week, and caring for my family with ease. I am hoping that this phase will pass?

I guess my other question his this: I had my surgery in Mexico through BeLiteWeight. Is it normal that NOBODY has tried to contact me after surgery? I could have died for all they know. I am kind of irritated by the lack of follow up.... even a phone call would have been nice. Now that I am certainly okay and on the road to recovery, I suppose I couldn't care less, but a week ago I would have appreciated a phone call.... am I off base?

Hello there! I am sorry to hear that you're feeling so weak, but judging by what the other Talkers say, it's pretty normal. You DID just have major life-changing surgery!

I just had my surgical consultation yesterday. I only have to lose 10 more pounds to get to my pre-op goal weight!

The reason I responded to your post is that it is very concering to me that your surgical program did absolutely no follow-up with you. I guess it is a business, but I have to wonder, what are you doing during recovery? Do you just meet with your PCP back at home? You are totally, 100% RIGHT to be a bit miffed on their lack of caring. It seems odd that they would have no contact with you after the surgery.

I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss journey, and a happy new year~

Sarah Flagstaffian

Hello there! I am sorry to hear that you're feeling so weak, but judging by what the other Talkers say, it's pretty normal. You DID just have major life-changing surgery!

I just had my surgical consultation yesterday. I only have to lose 10 more pounds to get to my pre-op goal weight!

The reason I responded to your post is that it is very concering to me that your surgical program did absolutely no follow-up with you. I guess it is a business, but I have to wonder, what are you doing during recovery? Do you just meet with your PCP back at home? You are totally, 100% RIGHT to be a bit miffed on their lack of caring. It seems odd that they would have no contact with you after the surgery.

I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss journey, and a happy new year~

Sarah Flagstaffian

I have not had any "follow up care" really. I have an appointment scheduled with my PCP tomorrow morning, but he has no clue (yet) that I even had the surgery. Luckily both of my sisters have had this surgery and they have been guiding me back to health. Without them I would have been lost. This site has also been a wealth of information! Each time I have a quetion I look here and 9 times out of 10, I can find someone who has already asked the same question!

I wish the best of luck on your journey!! I am looking forward to hearing how your experience goes!! Happy New Year to you!

Yep. I struggled with the weakness for about 2 weeks. Glad I took 2 weeks off work after surgery. Some of the weakness comes from the anesthesia. Obviously your body has to get used to the drastic reduction in calories also attributes to weakness. Hang in there it gets better. For me the weakness was very hard to deal with, but it got better. i feel great!!

hi all

i'm curious, i was also very tired post surgery, but i was unable to lay done. i couldn't lay on my right side (where my big incision was) and being on my left side hurt. too. No recliner either. How did you manage to rest/lay down. just wondering.

thanx

kathy

I'm 22 days post-op and am just starting to get some energy back. I took a walk outside today for the first time and I'm ready for a nap. Yesterday was the first day I didn't take a nap since surgery. I really struggled with being light headed and extreme fatigue since surgery. I would get all weak and shakey doing any minor physical activity. I think mine was caused from not eating enough. I started taking more B12 with my regular multi-Vitamins. I don't know that helped, but I definately started eating more calories and I think that's really helped. I'm probably up to 600-700 calories a day now and that includes 2 Protein shakes that are 160 calories each and 30 grams of Protein each.

Suggestion when you are ready - Wendy's chili, mush it up real good and I can eat about 1/4-1/3 cup in about 30 minutes. Yummy!!! Good protein and good carbs for energy.

You'll probably feel much better when you can get more calories in. It will happen.

I never received any calls from my surgeon's office either. I wasn't able to get a follow up appointment until 4 weeks out because they were booked. My surgery was on Oct 4 and I have only seen PA's. Noting new, I know I'm fine. I'd rather go see my PCP if I need something. I was upset with them because I was telling them that I'm hungry all the time and they didn't suggest any PPI's. I learned that from talking to others. Go figure..... Angel_anim.gif Angel_anim.gif

Get use to no energy-sorry to say.2 months out and napping daily, new bed time is 9:00 pm. Just saying.Hopefully you'll be diff. but prepare for the worse.

I had my surgery on 8-19-2014. I'm so weak, I can only make it to the bathroom and back to bed. I don't like the taste of anything. Everything taste too sweet or like i'm gonna get heartburn. Someone please help me. My hands have broken out, due to severe itching. I can't stop itching. And I am soooooo weak. I just don't know what to do????

Edited by MzLAngel

I had my surgery on 8-19-2014. I'm so weak, I can only make it to the bathroom and back to bed. I don't like the taste of anything. Everything taste too sweet or like i'm gonna get heartburn. Someone please help me. My hands have broken out, due to severe itching. I can't stop itching. And I am soooooo weak. I just don't know what to do?de25

I was just like you. My itching was due to my pain medicine and once I was done taking it the itching went away. Benadryl helped a little. I still don't like sweet things. The thought of anything chocolate makes my stomach pucker because I had a chocolate Protein Shake early on and I got sick. Had my surgery on the 5th and had to take 3 weeks off I was so weak. I still don't have energy like I should but I'm getting there. Work takes all my energy right now. It gets a little better everyday.

The itching is an allergic reaction to a med. Talk with your doctor and see if there is there is another option of med. Just because you don't get a rash doesn't mean you are not allergic to it. Check with your doc.

I have good days and bad days. I am 10 days pre op today. I went to the YMCA this morning and walked two miles. Felt like I walked ten. We ran and did some errands and I could seriously take a nap. I have never been a napper. I walked between 5 and 10 miles a day and did strength exercise in addition to that 7 days a week. I work full time outside the house plus all my work i have to do at home. I canned 22 quarts of peaches the day before my surgery and now I just am so tired and weak. Had to go to the grocery store this morning and thought I was going to pass out. I am drinking lots of fluids and I am sure to get in all my Protein. I am trying to be a good patient. I just want my energy back!