Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My late great cat "Mouse"

I had to put my cat son "Mouse" to sleep Monday. They just called to tell me I can go pick up his ashes after 2:30pm today. I never cremated a pet before, and I am a bit nervous about going and picking him up in a box. My husband is out of town or I would make him do it.

I have only had to bury one of our pets before because my husband was out of town. It was a disaster! I scraped Emmett (cat) up in a shovel (ran over by truck) put him in a plastic bag, then dug a hole under our 300 year old live oak tree for his eternal resting spot. About six months later, we were having a wedding under our tree and was having some landscapping done to make it pretty. The landscaper dug up Emmett. He almost had a heart attack. I guess I didn't dig the hole deep enough.

We are not allowed to bury our pets in our yards in The Woodlands, so I am not sure what I am going to do with Mouse's ashes. Should I keep the ashes, or spread them somewhere? His favorite spot was on the couch beside me... not a good place for ashes. We are going back to Shiner this weekend for the last time to move the rest of our stuff...about time moved 5 years ago from there. I could scatter him there under the 300 year old tree if the people who own the house now are not at home. I thought it was best not to tell them our pet cemetery is under the tree.

Any suggestions?

post-206886-13813133796897_thumb.jpg

First of all, I'm so sorry you lost your kitty cat!! What a doll-face. :think I'm sending you lots of (((((hugs))))).

When my kitties go, I plan on having them cremated too. I figured I'd just have a little urn for their ashes, and put it on the hearth next to the fireplace. That way it's subtle, but I know they're close. I live in a townhouse, so I'd hate to bury them out in the common area!

Much love to you ...

Aww :huggie: Mary, I'm so sorry.

I guess I would sprinkle my pets ashes outside where ever he/she's favorite spot was, or in a brook... some where that meant something special to you and your pet.

Hugs

So very sorry for the loss of Mouse. :cry Follow your heart and I'm sure you will find the appropriate resting place for him. He will always be in your heart regardless.

I feel so sorry for you. I am facing putting my cat down - and it is so hard. I live in Conroe - what about scattering his ashes at the lake? I have heard of people having pottery - vases, etc, made from their pets ashes.

Oh what a sweety-face. I would suggest spreading his ashes under a tree where a lot of birds perch. That way his final resting place can be where he can always see birdies.

We lost our cat about 3 days ago. He got out and he is not ready for a life outside. I made up over 100 fliers, and went walking with the kids. I would spend the evenings out on our porch shaking a can of Pounce and calling for him. It has been close to 100 everyday.

We found him today. A woman down the street was backing out of her driveway and thinks she ran over his tail. He didn't move, an she thought she had run over a leg or something. she came to get me, and when I picked him up he was very lethargic. He is at the doctor's now. The vet says he is fine, just really really dehydrated, and might lose his tail.

awwwwwwww, my heart goes out to you. I too lost my dear dog and friend Jeter. I had him cremated as well. It was a bit strange picking him up in a box but I also felt good taking him home to where he belonged. Our community does not allow us to bury pets UNLESS they are cremated and we use them as "enrichment" for a tree or plant. I got a granite memorial made with his picture on it too. The landscapers are here as I type and are putting in a beautiful 7 ft Colorado Blue Spruce. I will bury his ashes when they plant. I will also put the memorial there.

I think I would check to see if you can use the ashes for "enrichment" purposes in planting. That way, you comply with their wishes for the community, are earth friendly, and can lay your beloved pet to rest at home. My other suggestion would be to get a mouse statue and put it there as well. They also have pet memory stones you can place there.

I have heard of people having pottery - vases, etc, made from their pets ashes.

Where can I find out about this?

Thank you all for your kind words! I was doing real well on accepting his passing until the phone call today. The rain and sitting on my couch typing without him by my side is really getting to me. l miss my "old man"...my daughter's nickname for mouse. I even miss his slobbering and farting...now you know why he had the "old man" nickname. He sure loved to give me "Love Paws"!

Well it is 2:30 time to go get his ashes. :cry :cry :cry :cry

I think I remember seeing a nice picture frame at one of the christian stores to memorialize a pets photo...I will have to get one... I also like the mouse statue idea, and planting his ashes with a plant. I will check with my TWA to see if it is legal. Thank you so much for your support!

:cat:

Well I broke down in the car after picking up my Mouse. I couldn't wait to open the bag and see what was in it. A tear-jerking letter from the crematorium, and a small pretty pine box (like a small jewelry box). I opened it up and there was a very small bag of ashes label with my name and his. I was surprised how little there was.. I guess 7 pounds of cat only makes a couple of ounces of ashes. I came home and put the letter and box on my mantle where I can see it until I decide for sure what to do with him. It may sound strange, but I am thinking about having a family memorial service when my husband comes home.

I am so sorry for you. I have gone both routes with my two cats and the creamation is the way to go I think. It gave me time to decide what to do with my girl (havent decided yet, she is still in her little box on my desk). I guess I just am not really ready to get rid of her yet. I figure when I see that perfect place, I will know it and be more than happy to put her there, just havent had that feeling yet.