Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

28 Days Since My Gastric Sleeve Surgery And Counting

Hello Everyone. I was feeling very alone today and luckily found this site! I had my sleeve surgery on Nov 29th by Dr Beth Schrope. The surgery went well and recovery is coming along too. I guess I should back up a little, I'm 59 years old, 5' 3" and was 210 pounds presurgery. This takes some getting used to. I smile every time I look at a "portion" size and shake my head. I find I'm having a hard time getting enough Protein and have still been using the shakes to reach my goal every day.

The reason I was feeling down today was I've noticed the last few days the scale was going up! I was down to 196 but today was 198. I noticed on here that it's not so uncommon? I think I'm going to follow some of the advice posted and stop obsessing and weigh myself weekly. I know I'm sticking with my plan.

Does anyone have any ideas for exercise options? One of my biggest issues is arthritis. My knees, hips and shoulders are shot. Getting the weight off is one of my goals so I can become more mobile again (without opting for any more new joints). I know I need to move but at least for now, the arthritis pain is winning over the exercising. I am open to ANY ideas for me to try!!!

Thanks for all the great advice.

weight.png

Welcome!

Im 2 weeks post op. you will notice the scale go up as your re introduce food your body has had liquid for so long now it has to process food again. Water is a key too success as well cause your body will retain Water if you dont drink enough of it. im no expert but i know enough about dieting and what ive put my body through . if you have arthiritis you could do swimming aerobic it takes the pressure of your joints so that you can exercise without pain. and not to worry you will wake up one day and the scale will just drop. also count your Non Scale Victories like that shirt you used to wear is to big or those pants dont fit the same. anyway enough of my babble take care and enjpy your new life.

Castletree, you and I had surgery almost the same day (mine was Nov 30) and I also have widespread arthritis which is making it difficult to exercise. I also had surgery with the hopes that I could delay or prevent having to replace any more joints.

For now, I'm just trying to keep moving and not spend so much time sitting in my recliner. There's plenty of housework to do, and the bending & lifting of loading/unloading the dishwasher, sweeping, picking up toys off the floor, etc. is about all I can handle right now. The important thing is to keep moving.

I agree with the others that Water exercise is probably the best for us but I don't have access to a pool. The ground outside is icy so I'm getting some new workout discs for my Wii.

We seem to have so many issues in common. Somehow, knowing I'm not the only one feeling this way is comforting. I also don't have access to a pool but I am doing the same as you - keep moving at home and at work. As I'm sure you know, some days it's tough to push past the pain and this cold weather is no help!

Maybe I should have asked Santa for a Wii!!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches