Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facial Hair & Hair Loss Question

Question for the group here, I know to expect Hair loss. I've read that to avoid it I should make sure to get all my Protein in. Does getting in enough protein before surgery help too?

Also, did anyone have facial hair before surgery? I have a nice lady beard going on (thank you PCOS) and have not read if anyone lost their lady beard after surgery.

please please please tell me that facial hair goes away!

*I'm a pre-op, hoping to be sleeved in Jan 2012

I'm in week two. I have noticed that the hair on my face is growing at a slower pace. I don't have any crazy ideas that it'll simply stop, so I'll begin laser hair removal when my hormones level out.

Not sure about the facial hair. I don't have any. I did not notice other areas (lady parts) loosing hair but my head sure did by the handful! When I started taking Biotin and eating more Protein the hair on my legs did double time growing. I have stopped taking Biotin (hair not falling out in clumps anymore.) but will start back if it does.

Good luck!

At first I noticed my facial hair growing faster (dumb PCOS)... I'm not sure if it has slowed down yet or not. I believe more people don't start losing hair until about three months out. (I'm three weeks.) I do plan to buy a product from QVC called the Tria to help with the hair in places I don't want it. The reviews on it are positive enough that I'm willing to risk the money trying it. It isn't FDA approved for the face in the USA but in Europe it is.

Another one with PCOS here, and unfortunately, no, my facial hair did not stop growing. I hate, hate, hate this problem, lol. I never had any problem with Hair loss. Danielle, I am going to have to pop over to QVC and check that out, I am willing to try anything.

I haven't noticed my facial hair slowing down. As a matter of fact, I should own stock in a tweezer company! I have a pair everywhere, plus two in my purse and one in the car. My "Sherlock Holmes" chin grab is a sight to see! LOL

I haven't noticed my facial hair slowing down. As a matter of fact, I should own stock in a tweezer company! I have a pair everywhere, plus two in my purse and one in the car. My "Sherlock Holmes" chin grab is a sight to see! LOL

I find tweezing in the car is the best place... All that natural light shows what you miss indoors... I'm horrified some days when I take a peek and see everything I missed!

I've started to lose a little bit of hair now (at 4 1/2 months out) but not so much that it's freaking me out yet. I have a TON of hair so frankly I'm ok with some of it coming out anyway. I'm not planning to take Biotin or any other hair supplements, because I already have issues with facial hair and I don't want to have to tweeze/wax more than I already have to!!

Oh man, I am so glad I am not the only one who has noticed this! I can look in the bathroom mirror and think everything looks great. Then, I get to work and check my makeup real quick before getting out of the car and have that "freak out" moment when I see all that darn hair that didn't show up at home.

I find tweezing in the car is the best place... All that natural light shows what you miss indoors... I'm horrified some days when I take a peek and see everything I missed!

That's why I shave! I went to a dermatologist to weigh all my options. There's a prescription you can take that will make the hair stop, I tried it, but it made my Migraines more frequent. According to my dermatologist all the other options like electrolysis, laser, etc are all temporary and something you will always have to do to some extent. She told me it was fine to shave, tweeze or use hair removal creams. I like shaving just because it's fast and I don't have to worry about that one hair I missed.

Something else my dermatologist told me..... all women will get hair on their face eventually (whew!) and that more women shave their face than will ever admit.

Poly cystic ovarian syndrome.

Okay, so are there any tips on shaving? I tried it last night with my razor for my legs and it seems pretty smooth this morning. Should I keep a separate razor for my face? Shaving cream? I use conditioner on my legs because it helps keep the skin from drying out. Should I use that on my face as well?

And, I don't care if I do have to have a separate razor. I just want to not have to be constantly tweezing my chin hair! LOL

I don't use a separate razor for my face, but that might be a good idea. I use conditioner for shaving too, but a couple of months ago I found a really nice shaving lotion at Sephora. I ran out and can't remember the name of it, but it was a small stand-up tube in the register line where they keep all the impulse items. That stuff was awesome for my face. If I can find it again I want to see if I can buy a bigger tube. I have dry skin to begin with and shaving seems to make it feel dryer. I use St. Ives collagen elastic lotion on my face as soon as I get out of the shower to help combat the dryness. I always shave in the shower so that in case I nick myself, the nick is ok by the time I get done showering. My husband shaves in the shower too, and we've tried several mirrors over the years. We have an awesome one now. The mount is glued to the shower wall and the mirror itself has a hollow compartment that you fill with warm Water to keep it from fogging up. Best ever! It tilts and has a small shelf to hold your razor too.

By the way, I have never told my husband or friends that I shave my face. Only anyone reading this, my doctors and my Mom know. My husband knows I have facial hair and he knows I get rid of it, but he thinks I use creams or waxing. I am very self conscious about the hair and that's why I started shaving a couple of years ago. I couldn't keep up with tweezing and using hair removal creams is too harsh on my dry skin. I waxed for a couple of years, but I started to have bad reactions from the wax. I shave about 2x a week, more if I know I am going to be in a situation where the hair might show and make me uncomfortable about people seeing it, especially in bright outdoor lighting.

I've thought about threading since I get my eyebrows threaded every so often, but I think that would be way too much torture.

I hope that helps. smile.png

Okay, so are there any tips on shaving? I tried it last night with my razor for my legs and it seems pretty smooth this morning. Should I keep a separate razor for my face? Shaving cream? I use conditioner on my legs because it helps keep the skin from drying out. Should I use that on my face as well? And, I don't care if I do have to have a separate razor. I just want to not have to be constantly tweezing my chin hair! LOL

Hi LGoz,

I didn't know what PCOS was either until I was diagnosed with it a year ago. It's an endocrine disorder. Women who have it usually have one or more of:

infrequent or missed periods

adult acne

infertility issues

hormonal imbalance (higher testosterone than women should) - this leads to facial hair

obesity

cystic ovaries (not always)

There's not one test that your doctor can do to say, AH - HA, you have it. I've been through the ringer with two doctors and both came to the same conclusion.

http://www.pcosupport.org/index.php

Sorry to be stupid here but what is PCOS ??