Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I Seriously Wanted To Bolt From The Hospital Before Gastric Sleeve Surgery

In spite of the six month work up prior to my insurance approval, I was not really prepared for how quick this surgery happened.

I got my insurance approval less than two weeks prior to my surgery date. So, I only got 13 days of my two week pre-op diet.

I was very excited, until we got to the hospital. Once in the hospital, I was so scared and full of doubt. I was crying in the waiting area (quietly, to myself), and then when we went into the pre-op area, my surgery was delayed. During that time I broke down in tears and considered calling the whole thing off. My husband said he had never seen anything like that from me. I was so frightened of the pain I was expecting to happen. The doctor came in and offered me some valium, which I was so happy to take. I went to sleep, which was good because my surgery was delayed from 11:00AM until 4:30PM! If not for the valium, I don't know that I would have gone through with it.

I am glad that I did it. The surgery itself is a piece of cake. I had some complication with stuff not moving through the sleeve and a lot of pain from that, and oh my gosh, I had horrid gas in my shoulder. I've been walking since a couple of hours after surgery though. The actual pain of the surgery (incisions, etc.) are negligible and now that liquids are going through, I am so happy.

I was right there with you, my friend. I remember praying for a sign to either calm down or get the heck outta there! Fortunately, God provided me with wonderful peace following that prayer. :)

Amanda, I got sleeved yesterday at 10:30 AM. I got nervous too. I almost crapped my pants when the IV went in and all the nurses and PAs started coming by to prepare me. My surgery went fine, but I had tremendous pain, and it hurts to drink Water. I also feel like i need to belch, but cannot. How are you getting by?

Bo.

I cried in the hours up to my surgery as well. When she was putting IV in my hand I thought about taking off and not going back. I'm glad I stuck it out. THe first day post op was awful but it's getting better as the days go by!

Amanda, I got sleeved yesterday at 10:30 AM. I got nervous too. I almost crapped my pants when the IV went in and all the nurses and PAs started coming by to prepare me. My surgery went fine, but I had tremendous pain, and it hurts to drink Water. I also feel like i need to belch, but cannot. How are you getting by?

Bo.

Just remember what a difference a day can make. I couldn't even eat ice cubes this time yesterday and now I am eating broth and sorbet for dinner (still in hospital). They took my morphine pump away, and I don't even think I would have used it except for the gas pain and out of desperation for the pain after eating ice chips.

Last night I was up almost all night walking the halls while eating a popsicle, the first thing I was able to get in since Monday.

To change your ticker, click on it and update it on the website. Then, copy and paste the code from your new, updated ticker!

Hang in there, hopefully tomorrow you will be so much better.

I was actually fine for the first two surgeries, but my third one just about sent me scampering out of the hospital! :) I had a filter installed before and then removed 3 weeks after surgery. For me, the actual VSG was pretty easy since I knew I'd be put to sleep. With the other two they give you conscious sedation (Ick, IMO).

I'm glad that all of you toughed it out and are now on the loser's bench! It's a good thing we're all losing weight or we would soon run out of room!! :)

I too thought of bolting on Tuesday when I had my surgery. I felt surprisingly good the first night but less so the second. My dr. kept me an extra night, and by noon today I literally begged to be discharged. I'm home now and feel lil etchings are beginning to improve. My abdomin is still very sore and swollen, partly because I had multiple procedures. Trying hard not to be discouraged. I can barely keep liquids down. My goal is to make it through as much Water as possible and try to get an Isopure down today. Looks like I'll only get about half down. Every day is a new day.

I am headed home in the morning after three nights in the hospital. Today was really a great day! I even had a shower this morning (although only lukewarm, it was still wonderful).

I am practically running my laps around the ward, with my squeaky-wheeled IV stand in tow.

Two days ago I would not have expected this.

And I probably did not properly convey the magnitude of the hissy fit I threw prior to the surgery (although it was just my husband and me in the room).

OMG, I was so scare, I told my husband, my son, and the doctor that I wanted to run away and I was totally shaking. After the anesthiologist injected a medication, all I could remember is the surgery room light and my arms stretched out and strapped to some boards. The surgery went great. I had no vomiting are nausea. I knew that if I didn't press the morphine button, I would totally bail. I didn't get food or popsickle's or ice. i got cranberry juice light that hurt my stomach to drink. Also, Water was also hard to get down. I would walk around the ward trying to keep my eyes open. When I got home everything went well. Hang in there, by next week you will feel alot better..... ;)

OMG, I was so scare, I told my husband, my son, and the doctor that I wanted to run away and I was totally shaking. After the anesthiologist injected a medication, all I could remember is the surgery room light and my arms stretched out and strapped to some boards. The surgery went great. I had no vomiting are nausea. I knew that if I didn't press the morphine button, I would totally bail. I didn't get food or popsickle's or ice. i got cranberry juice light that hurt my stomach to drink. Also, Water was also hard to get down. I would walk around the ward trying to keep my eyes open. When I got home everything went well. Hang in there, by next week you will feel alot better..... wink.png

It's funny because I have had several surgeries and I have never made it to the operating room with my eyes open (except for my eye surgery - lol). But for the VSG, they took me in awake and had me move to the operating table myself. That was weird, but kind of cool.

I just got "sprung" from the hospital, no drains left in, I am so excited to go home. Just waiting for pain meds that probably won't be needed and for my husband to get the car.

What a turn around from a few days ago.