Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning My Gastric Sleeve Surgery Journey

Hi there! My name is Tiffany and I am a 26 yr old mom of 2 from Louisiana. I have started on my sleeve journey this week! :) I have gotten the go ahead from my psych visit, I have my 6 months of non medical, and I have a bmi of 40. I am 5'5 with a weight of 241. I also have some weight bearing joint issues, but with the bmi, I do not need to document the co-morbidities. It is a blessing that my insurance will cover the surgery...we pay enough per month for it. lol I am a little nervous about the surgery and complications. I got a sheet today from the seminar that the morbidity percentage is at .39 percent, which is a little scary to think that around 1 in a few hundred ops, someone doesn't make it through the surgery. I would love to get some feedback about anything and everything in regards to the sleeve. I have had a great time looking at the success stories!! Congrats to all those that have had such amazing results and good luck to those that are at the beginning of your journey! :) I look forward to getting to know y'all!

Hi TIffany!

I have the VERY SAME WORRIES as you. I don't have kids (yet!!!), but I know my loved ones are worried for me. I am meeting with my surgeon next week and have a tentative surgery date of March 30.

I have only been a member on this site for a few days, but it is a wonderful community of people just like you and me, with the same hopes and fears. I'm scared and excited at the same time, but I just keep telling myself:

"Hasn't every experience in life that was the MOST MEANINGFUL, the MOST VALUABLE, also been the hardest and/or the scariest?" I think, yes!

i look forward to journeying along with you!

((HUGS))

Sarah

Hi GonnB, welcome to VST!! Especially welcome to the rest of your life! You ARE taking the right steps so that you will be able to enjoy your children more. They deserve a Mom who will be healthy. Time will go on and more and more co morbidities will plague those who are obese. You've chosen not to have that be your future.

Regarding the morbidity rate for surgery, keep in mind those statistics do not break down all the individual reasons those certain persons didn't make it through surgery. The main factors for those persons could be they were far more overweight than you are, or are much more unhealthy, older or perhaps didn't follow the pre-op guidelines given to us before we have our surgeries. Who knows the reasons? Yes, it is a scary though and yes is a possibility - but could be possible with ANY surgery.

Hugs my dear, we are all here for you as you enter your new journey. We all had the same fears as you had - INCLUDING ME!! :) It's ok to feel this way just stay focused and keep your eyes on the prize.

Welcome Tiffany! You will learn so much from this forum and have all your questions answered for sure! I was sleeved one week ago today and have my postop tomorrow to have my drain out and move on to full liquids. I had absolutely no pain or nausea. Just do what your doctor and dietician tell you and you will be fine! Merry Christmas!

Thx ladies! It means a lot to get such a great welcome and the reasurrance is awesome!! I definitely needed that! I am enjoying browsing the site and reading the posts. I know by the time surgery comes around, I'll be plenty prepared! :) Have great holidays!!

Hi Tiffany,

I am from Texas, a widow, and the mother of two beautiful girls. I am very scared as well. My luck has not been so well. Lost my husband in April 2002, had lap-band in Dec. 2002, By 2004 after several complications they told me that I was one in 5% who the band is not right for. Back surgery in 2010, Hardware was rejected so they had to remove it in 5 months, still have pain,- and here I am.

I know it sounds like I am crazy, but I just want you to know that If I am willing to take this risk, it must be a pretty sure bet that everything will be OK. I researched my doctor, the hospital is ready for anything, and all I can do is plan for a new life and a new journey that is full of positive things from Dec. 30th forward. Happy New Year to ME !

I do not know anyone who does not hear about complications and not get concerned.

Take care. I am here with you.

Hey Kuntry! :) You are indeed a strong woman and I thank you for your support! Know that I am here for you as well! We will definitely have some great things to look forward to this New Year!!