Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has Anyone Skipped The Puree Diet?

Hello all~

So, I just had a question as to what you think the effects could be if I were to go straight to soft foods but mash them really well in my mouth before swallowing. I am having a hard time keeping things down b/c of nausea. I have only been able to keep down like starchy things nothing really Protein. I have heard of some people skipping the puree diet and going to soft foods. I wanted to know if anyone had done that and what is the worst that could happen. I have anti nausea pills that I still cant keep down as well. I need to transition soon. Just wanted suggestions. Thank you all...

I didn't do a puree phase. After about two weeks of liquids and Soup I went to soft foods like mashed potatoes, chilli, Beans w/ cheese... I went to solids about a week after that. I hadn't been nauseous or anything tho so that's probably helped my progression.

Maybe I am not understanding you. Why do you want to skip a step when you are not feeling well? You should go slower, not faster. Also consider asking your doctor for suppositories to control your nausea. Follow your doctors orders. Be patient. smile.png I hope this answers your questions.

Well that definitely gives me confidence that everything should be okay since you are doing well. Nothing happened to your sleeve. Thanks

I agree with longerlife, if its been rough for u thus far, I'd follow your plan layed out by your Dr. as best you can and don't rush anything. Like I said I had no trouble testing the waters since I never got nausea and my pain even dwindled away quicker than what I thought it would

Hi Stephanie

I agree with the others you should definitely consult with your surgeon. Sounds like you shouldve remained on liquids a little while longer. Also your stomach is still healing and it wouldnt be a great to idea to advance yourself speaking you cant hold something down.

To answer your question. I did my liquids on and off for two weeks because i was in and out of the hospital. During the 'puree' stage i did and still am doing really soft foods anything i can puree in my mouth. No chicken i tried chicken and did well but had to stop eating it because of digestion. Next Tuesday 12/27 is my official hard food stage but im in no rush considering im enjoying the soft foods.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Why would you skip the puree diet? take any chances? Not follow the rules? This is what got you fat in the first place! the diet your Doctor has you on is for your protection and well being. Why would anyone risk their life for a piece of food? Call your doctor and talk to someone with the knowledge of what may happen if you fail to follow directions. It's only a couple of weeks of puree, before you move to soft foods.

I would never advise you to listen to someone on this board and do the opposite of what your Doctor has you doing!!!!

Good luck!

Some people just are not rule followers, but then those of us are also the ones who are not as likely to be successful with the dramatic weightloss- because we do not follow the diet prescribed by our Dr or Nut.

I am not loosing and I am only 8 weeks out. I havent lost weight in a month.

I think not sticking to my Dr orders from the get go set me up for failure.

I recommend you try harder to stick to Dr orders just on the premise of being a success, not because it might cause a complication.

If it DID cause a complication, how would you feel?

Well that definitely gives me confidence that everything should be okay since you are doing well. Nothing happened to your sleeve. Thanks

Please do not take the advice of someone over the internet versus the person you allowed to sleeve you. Contact your Surgeon if you feel you would like to speed up the process. He or she should be the one to guide you on such an important decision as this, as this would also be the person to correct any damage you might bring to yourself by not following your guidelines.

Take care of yourself, don't let others who are not qualified, do this for you.

I like what MissDiva said.... Follow your Doc's orders. I was on a liquid diet for 3 weeks, puree foods for 3 weeks, and 3 weeks soft foods. I tended to eat alot of yogurt, Protein Drinks, Vitamins, Calcium, Biotin, and other vits.

Please call your surgeon's office and get their advice, they should be in the office today if it's pst or tomorrow est. Take care an live l day at a time. ;)

I skipped pureed foods because I would gag. They were just too disgusting for me. But, I didn't skip ahead to soft foods. I stayed on liquids a few extra weeks and then moved to soft foods. It worked for me and my nutritionist as long as I took the soft foods very gently.