Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did I Make The Right Choice?

Hey everyone! I was sleeved on the 14th in Tijuana mexico, and i got home last night... Im still in alot of pain, they left my drain in so when i went to San Diego airport i got molested lol. They sure dont know how to be gentle. But anyways im really scared now i didnt get much info on post op diet or anything. It hurts to breath deep. Im extremly uncomfortable. I donno what to do... Help?

Get alot of rest. You need it to help with the healing process. My doc's told me to have nothing but liquids for the first 3 weeks which included Protein Drinks after the first 3 days. Make sure you get your Water in or you will get dehydrated. It gets better after the first week. Hang in there, I also questioned right after the surgery if I had done the right thing. Take care and get alot of rest. Good job and your new journey has begun..... blush5.gif

This is from my cordinators site.

Your After Surgery Diet

DURING THE FIRST WEEK, Clear Liquids ARE RECOMMENDED Your first week

The first and second week you will be in a liquid diet, using straw is recommended to avoid big gulps that may cause nausea or discomfort.

During the fist week Clear Liquids are recommended (water apple and grape juices, tree top, ocean spray and welch's are recommended)

From fourth day on, natural fruit juices (strained and Gelatin can be added if well tolerated)

The largest volume take that your stomach can accept is 2 fl. Oz. At a time, let it rest for 2 hours before serving this quantity again. Have all the clear Water that u can in between "meals". Miscalculations may lead to nausea.

Room temperature during first week is the most recommended, slightly cold Gelatin is acceptable. Take gelatin in small chunks and chew and dissolve. Take care of wounds: clean daily bath using only Water and soap, scrubbing only in the same direction of it, cover with gauze or band aid.

NEVER:

- Keep on eating if you are already satisfied.

- Try to eat more than your stomach can handle.

Your second and third week

Keep in mind that you now have a new stomach, much smaller than a couple of weeks ago; the volume needed to fill your stomach is now 2 oz. It is time to include variety and a few more consistent foods to your diet:

On your second week continue with clear liquids and gelatin and add:

Whole natural fruit juice, use synthetic sugar to sweeten.

• Pear and apple pure
  • Soups (broth):
    • Potato
    • Tomato
    • Lentil
    • Vegetable
    • chicken

On your third week add:

• Chopped fruit (very small pieces)
  • Whole Vegetable juices
  • Whole Vegetable juices

At this time you should be able to handle correctly your new stomach capacity. But always remember to let it rest for 2 hours before repeating the serving of more consistent food or the 2 oz.

Measure, miscalculation may lead to nausea and stomach ache.

food temperature:

Fruit juices are well tolerated cold (no exaggeration)

Warm Soups.< /p>

The care of your wounds:

As a normal symptom of healing, itching will appear.

NEVER:

- Keep on eating if you are already satisfied.

- Try to eat more than your stomach can handle.

I hope this helps

I'm sure you can call your surgeon for advice if you feel really bad?... It takes a while to start the healing, just take care, drink lots of Water first on the list, get a little bit of walking in multiple times a day, work on your Protein. Rest in between.

I think EVERYONE has at least one moment of thinking to themselves "was this the right thing to do?" I know I felt it a lot at the end of my first week. They call it "buyer's remorse" around here.

I had a lot of trouble breathing comfortably for awhile. I think my swollen stomach was pushing against my diaphragm and my ribs, and combined with the gas pain and the acid I was pretty miserable for awhile. Sitting made my belly sort of fold over and push against my ribs so sitting was quite uncomfortable. I made good use of my pain meds in the first week or so home.

Miraculously, it did get better, just like everyone says. Of course I believed that I was somehow the unlucky one but I wasn't. You almost certainly won't be either biggrin5.gif

I know how you feel...I"m three weeks out and I had "bought the farm" on buyer's remorse right after surgery. I was mentally miserable. I just thought that I would always feel this way...but everyday will get better. I find it strange that they left your drain in...weird. When I started on soft solid food...I started feeling a little more normal. Which doctor did your surgery? I had mine done there too!

Dr huacuz did my surgery, i didnt have very good post op treatment, my boyfriend said after.surgery they just put me n as room and left, i quit breathing multiple times and nurses nvr came in my boyfriend kept yellin at me to breath. Then we had to remind them about meds n saline and all that good stuff. It was a bad experiance, but i got what i paid for.

Also my mom is worried because they have let me take a shower every day shes afraid ill get infection.

Dr said i can have chicken broth juice tea Water right now anything thats clear.

And im always hungry i nvr feel full even after i drink juice... Do i need to measure 2oz or what should i do?

That is horrible! I didn't have an experience like that...quite the opposite. If you are feeling hungry most people say that it is acid in the stomach and you should try taking an anti acid to help that feeling. I use Prilosec and it worked well for me. How long did they say that you should keep that drain in? Please go to your local doctor and get checked if you start to feel like you aren't getting better daily because something could be wrong. We have all been where you are and it is not a fun place the first week or so. But I promise you that you will feel better...hang in there...big hugs!!!

Do you have sleep apnea? I am nervous about what you are saying here.... People with apnea are at higher risk of stopping breathing post surgery.

I have drains and yes, deep breaths were uncomfortable. Remember to walk, sip fluids, sip fluids, walk, rest, sip fluids.... Do the deep breathing exercises once an hour while you are awake. My lungs protested but I think it is worth it to avoid complications.

I was told NO pills what so ever, also i dont have sleep apnia, or w/e lol i donno what was goin on i kept tellin my bf no i dont want to breath it hurts to much, once i was fully awake i had prob 10 blankets and my bf nxt to me cauae i was so cold.

Whats the deep breathing exercise

Here is an explanation of deep breathing post surgery. Even if you don't have a device, you can still do it. My doc said to do it once an hour (waking hours) and to get a few coughs in. It scared me a little when I coughed up some phlem, but boy did it feel better after that.

One reason people can get post surgery pneomonia is that they are breath shallow and never clear the lungs. It starts to fill up and then bacterial infection can set it. It is an easy preventative step to do some deep breaths and coughs.

http://www.uwhealth.org/healthfacts/B_EXTRANET_HEALTH_INFORMATION-FlexMember-Show_Public_HFFY_1108423940732.html

I can't say that i regretted the surgery, but the first week has been a little rough for me. I was both educated well by my surgeon and had done alot of research and read alot of forums, so no big surprises. I guess i HOPED I would be one of the people who found it surprisingly easy, but it has had some pain, some discomfort and has been a litlte hard. I just keep my eye on the prize - getting to healthy weight!!!! No regrets, make the best of it and take excellent care of your self so you have a thorough recovery.

Hey mommamea, I met you in the epic line up at the TJ border. Very cool to see you on here! You will find tons of help and advice. Sorry you are still not feeling well! I think you should go to a doctor and get that tube out, maybe ask about an antibiotic and a tummy protector\antacid. I found once my tube was out my abdomen felt waaay better. Please work on your breathing, deep inhales! Lung related complications are the number 1 complcations. Maybe google some breathing excercises post op?

Yeh that line was pretty epic wasnt it! Glad u made it home safe, the plane ride was killer w all the turbulance. But yeh im goin to get ahold of a doc tomorrow, my drain was super full this morning, i slept on my tummy last night tho. But i was sittin at breakfest drinkin tea watchin my fam eat my fav breakfest food... Taco omelets lol n hashbrowns n sasage n looked at my drain and its leaking out side the tube into my bandage