Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A Little Discouraged

So, after the nice weather of summer, my weight loss -- which was on track to put me at or under 200 lbs (for the first time in memory!) completely stopped and in fact reversed. Now I'm at 225 (!) and fighting that old "there's nothing I can do about it" feeling.

I have been able to attribute this to two factors. First, with the nice weather, I was walking about 2.5 miles every day. Now that it's perpetually dark and rainy/icy (here in Seattle), I'm getting VERY little cardio exercise at all.

Second, my calorie intake has been creeping up. All kinds of little things -- from food intake here at home, to a regular Starbucks yogurt parfait, to cakes and candy ever present at work -- were tanking me. Of course I never really SPLURGED, but it was a little bit every day.

So, I've pretty much cut out the extra calories -- I'm watching what I eat very, very carefully, and I'm now eating the same or less than I was during the summer. The exercise thing is harder; I still go to the gym most days of the week, but most of my time is spent weight lifting..

I'm wondering; should I ditch the weightlifting and spend that time doing boring time on the treadmill/bike? I don't want to lose my muscle tone, but I don't have 1.5 hours every day to spend at the gym, and it's kinda either/or...

Any advice or words of encouragement would be welcome...

bless your heart! I can totally relate with you though! I am out now 2 years and when i hit 200 that was it, never made it to onederland, but whatever. . . at least i don't weigh 350 lbs! and i think that once we hit a certain place, our bodies do stop everything. The weight gain is only 5 lbs, could be Water weight too, mine usually is. . . i don't exercise and that is now my news years resolution. . . i eat everything there is too (except lettuce, that hurts a lot) just be really careful with the goodies. Christmas time is a very very junk filled season. . . hopefully after the holidays you'll get back into the swing of things. . . we all get that blahhh feeling and just are tired. . you'll be ok, your human and just look how far you have come. . . you lost a whooping 124 lbs! that is a hugh accomplishment. . . you have a great tool to help you and you'll do fine. . . just rest for now, maybe that is all you really need. . .

Well, I wish I had magic words of wisdom for you. But honestly it sounds like you have pinpointed your own demons. Now it's time to start chipping away at them.

Look, I know that feeling of "there is nothing I can do" and that is a slippery slope. Because once you start with the negative talk, along comes the negative self-image, and we start that awful cycle all over again.

Start with one thing at a time. CUT out the extra calories. IF you want a treat, give yourself a 48 hour "chill out" time. Face the fact that you want a treat, but give yourself a time out. If you want a cake or brownie on Mon....make yourself wait until Wed. and make sure that the "treat" is absolutely worth it. Don't go for a treat that isn't out of this world amazing because it just isn't worth the extra calories.

Once you have started to detox from the little extra treats here and there, then start working on the fitness part. I personally think you NEED BOTH. The weights AND the cardio. If you are lacking in one area, then try pumping that area up a little. If you are only doing weights, then pick a day to skip weights and hit the treadmill. I was lacking a bit on the cardio side so 2 months ago I started to run on my treadmill (whereas before I was just fast walking) and while I do NOT enjoy running, I do enjoy the way I feel after running. So that has been my motivation because I like that exercise "high" that I get.

The whole maintenance thing is always the big mystery. Because we have all lost weight and gained it right back. But keep trying to figure out what works for you and most importantly DO NOT GIVE UP. Just take that off the table. Giving up is not an option. Hang in there!

Yeah, I'm sure that -- aside from the little snack sources (which, honestly, I'm not that bad about, certainly not any worse than I was during the summer, when I was LOSING weight like crazy) -- the only real difference here is the cardio exercise. It seems amazing that my little 45 minute walk every day at lunch time could make such a difference, but that's the only significant thing that's changed since summer.

I've gained 12 pounds since the end of October. I'm going to try to reverse that before the end of spring. It's just very discouraging to go from being on track to hit 200 lbs, to having to fight like crazy to avoid hitting 230 again!

Edit: I should mention, about snacks: I really don't eat Cookies or brownies or whatever. I have one little 50 calorie piece of candy from the reception candy dish every day, but only one. I suppose I could cut that out too, but it really seems like if the difference between my gaining weight and losing weight is one 50 calorie mini-size bar of dark chocolate, then I'm doomed, because you can get 50 calories by *sneezing*...

I've got to tell you, walking for me has also been a huge factor in both my weight loss and being able to keep off extra calorie gains. I'm not walking right now either for the exact same reason. The weather outside is terrible and I can't stand the cold anymore. I avoid it to the extremes. Walking outside for me is not the same as hitting the treadmill. For some reason if I'm not doing my walk outside, my weight will be all over the place. I'm not sure why, but it is what it is.

I've been being naughty the last week with food. I can tell a difference, my pants are fitting a little tight and whoops I seemed to have gained a few pounds. Oh well... I had my fun but I know for a fact today I'm going to work to get that back off.

I just wanted to say I feel ya. Though I completely agree with M2G... it is easier said than done though! I'm huge on cardio - and Sunday I'm starting back up with my C25K from scratch. I haven't really ran a full 5K except one time in over 4 months.

Good luck! You've done amazing, and I know you have it in you to fix the issue. With that I have no doubt - but YOU have to believe that too. :)

I hear you. At my office, we always have chocolate candy sitting in a dish in the waiting room. I know that if I take just one candy, I will end up taking 3. That is my past history. In my head, I can rationalize anything. I make it a point not to go near the candy dish or to even look at the candy. My family has alot of junk food here and it does bother me. Sometimes I have allowed myself to take a coupe of tortilla chips, and last night I took a whole handful. Time to talk with the family about getting rid of the junk. :) Also, I have started logging my food and checking how many calories I am truly eating. Wow was I surprised. Have a happy holiday and picture that piece of candy as a piece of fat! that may help. You've done a good job and keep it up. We will always have our ups and downs.

I have to agree with the others... you've got some great feedback here. What struck a chord with me was M2G's repsonse. I agree that weights and cardio is the best combo... perhaps you could alternate.

I also agree with the time out thing. I have done this through the month of Dec, so far so good on the scales, but if I see an increase so be it. I am trying to re - learn my behaviour with the pesky things. I am letting my sleeve do its job; by that I mean, if I have a treat and I am not hungry at 'meal times' I don't eat until I am hungry... It will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Ouroborous, look at how well you've done. Look at the new you! It might be that the seaonal weight change is something that the new you will 'do'? I have a lot of friends who have no weight issues, but gain a few in the winter and shed them in the summer. They don't sweat it, just deal with it.... will this be our new cycle too?

How are your clothes fitting... for me that is another factor other than the scales. I haven't lost a pound in many months now and I have dropped a trouser size! See that pesky scales isn't a true indicator of where we actually are!

Good luck for what ever you decide to do, be sure to keep us updated!

How are your measurements? Are the pants/shirts tighter? I, too, have been lifting weights for a little while and figure that is a contributing factor to my weight plateau. To be honest, I would like it to go up a bit, due to muscle gain, of course.

But, the holidays are hard. We, too, have all kinds of food around the office and I am well known for homemade english toffee. I make about 20 batches each holiday season for friends & family. Butter, sugar and chocolate ... oye! Of course, I have to sample each batch ... But, I am forcing myself to keep exercising, even through the dark days here in the Northwest. I got the little reflector vest and run at least two miles every other day. I do this as soon as I get home from work or after I get the kiddies in bed. It's only 20 minutes plus 10 minutes for shower. But I feel great afterward and don't have to beat myself up when I do have that piece of peanut brittle that Kathy brought in to the office.

About twice a week I hit the weights hard and hoping that will relieve just a bit of the extra skin issue. But after that, too, I feel great and compelled to stick with this program.

About a month or so ago, I was ill and did nothing for a week. It was sooooo hard to get back into it. But once I did, it seemed to get easier to stick with it. You just have to get over that initial hump.

I don't know much about weight lifting, but could some of the weight gain be that you have more muscle now? I think I read somewhere that muscle is heavier than fat. Just a thought.

Give yourself credit for recognizing and accepting what's going on and assuming responsibility for your actions... The most important thing is that you ARE doing something about it... better now then 30 or 40 lbs later...when we slip up---- we get back on track... don't feel discouraged..you can do this and then some :) Get on a strict regimen for the next couple of weeks and if I were you I would do cardio and weights..I'm sure it will come off in no time.

I have been there in my journey as well.. I work for law enforcement and it's hard to pass up the infamous doughnuts daily... there are times when i give in to temptation but I think that getting on that scale at least 1x a week keeps me grounded. You will be o.k.... Thanks for sharing because all of us need encouragement