Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Are Your Typical Meals/snacks? What Are You Eating?

Hello ... I am 5 months in, and have had to pretty much tough it out on my own. I have not had the follow up or support I should have had (this I am upset about) and this includes nutritional dietary advice.

It is a long story, but the shortened version is that I am an Australian living in Munich Germany... there seemed to be no language barrier before surgery (I was convinced I would have the correct follow up), since having the op and paying for it - it seems no-one at the place can now speak english and give me the support and advice that I need, my german has improved but - I cannot find any support networks close by.

As of today, I have lost 45kgs (??how much that is in lbs), I convinced my GP to do some blood tests to check on Protein and Calcium levels and general check - all has come back OK (means I must be doing something right).

I really just wanted to see what peoples typical meals are, how often people eat (meals per day) and the quantity per meal.

A few times I have been rather sick after eating and other times, I am frightened as I seem to eat what I believe is too much food and still feel hungry.

I'm one of those who can't eat much at a time, even now at 9 months out. I eat snack-sized meals several times a day. You'll notice that there's a lot of cheese and veggie protein--my sleeve is horribly picky about meat and poultry. Typical meals (not all in one day!):

1. Iced coffee with 1/4 c. milk and some chocolate Syrup (sometimes sugar free, sometimes not) with 1/2 a high-fiber Breakfast cookie--I'm deficient in thiamine and the whole grains were recommended by my doctor.

2. An ounce or two of cheese.< /p>

3. A few corn tortilla chips with cheese melted on top and maybe some sour cream--five is my max; three is more typical.

4. A small salad (around a cup of loose lettuce leaves), a little dressing, a TB of cheese sprinkled on top.

5. An ounce of cubed turkey or ham; VERY occasional, as sleevie doesn't always like meat.< /p>

6. A cup of soup--I usually don't finish the whole cup; usually split pea, navy bean, or some other beany-type Soup.< /p>

7. Three or four whole-grain crackers with brie or camembert.

8. A small palmful of almonds or almond/cranberry/cashew mix.

9. 1/2 c. of grapefruit in juice, unsweetened.

10. Three boiled shrimp with cocktail or remoulade sauce; one of my go-to meals for a business lunch--shrimp cocktail!

11. 1/2 c. beans--pinto, baked, white or red, whatever. I always have cooked Beans in the fridge for a fast meal.

In a typical day, I usually eat numbers 1, 2, 4, 7, and 8. The other meals are occasional; I listed them here to give you an idea of amount and type of food.

I confess I eat what I want when I want. Because my sleeve is tiny and picky, I know I'm not really able to eat things that are "bad" for me or too much of anything! I do stay away from fried foods, bread and other baked goods, Pasta, and most sugar (although I don't sweat it if I eat some). At this point, my weight loss is picking back up again after slowing somewhat over the Christmas break (hmm.... wonder if Mom's homemade shortbread had anything to do with that??) and I'm heading to goal--or at least to my "first" goal!!

Definitely keep in mind that everyone is different--I'm super tall, but my sleeve is super small, for instance--and we can tolerate different types and amounts of food. I post my stuff here in case someone else is feeling like I was at first--I really worried that I wasn't getting in enough of anything--I never met my Protein or Water goals and felt like an utter failure because I couldn't tolerate the types or amounts of food that seemed to be most prevalent. But my blood work is great, I'm doing fine, feeling good, losing, healthy, so I'm posting so others can see that it's so very individualized--no worries, y'all. Do what's best for your body!!

Kudos to everyone!

I was sleeved on Jan 3, 2012, and I've not had any problems with eating. I've felt too full a time or two but nothing extreme. I've been able to handle quite a bit of food. Usually 1 - 1 1/2 cups of food at a time. I'm running now which is really good and it actually feels really good. I've got to get over the mental block of this exercise, but once I start, I'm good. I've lost 30 lbs since surgery. It is coming off really slow, but I'm actually okay with that. I want it to come off slowly so I can feel like I'm doing this really well. I usually eat 2 hard boiled eggs for Breakfast or a slice of peanut buttered toast, lunch is either 1 cup or so of Soup or left overs from dinner, and dinner is usually a smaller portion of whatever I've fixed for the family. If they are having hamburgers or hot dogs, then I have a salad with the meat in it or something else that is better for me. I haven't denied myself any treats, but I also haven't had them very often. For example, my family wanted ice cream and they got it, but I got a small dipping dots cup (2/3 cup of ice cream in little balls). Very satisfying but not nearly the calories. Other Snacks I've had are Chobani yogurt, carrots w/ humus, grape Tomato w/humus, deli meat rolled up with a cheese stick, or some fresh fruit.< /p>

Hope this helps,

Sandi

http://myselfsufficientlife2012.blogspot.com/p/diet-diary.html you can view what I'm eating on my blog here!