Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies With Pcos What's Your Rate Of Weight Loss?

Okay Ladies I need a little help. I am having surgery tomorrow and being the control freak that I am I wanted to know the average rate of weight loss in women with PCOS. I've heard that PCOS slows the process down but just for my reference I would like to hear from any lady's who have experience in the matter. I want to make sure I'm on track every step of the way. Any and all info is welcomed!

i am too

Hey Ladies! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22...I am now 34. I was sleeved on June 29th, 2010 and I have lost a total of 123 pounds. The first 70 were easy...I didn't have any problems or sickness. Now that I am a year and some months out...it has got hard. I am starting to crave sweets so you have to be VERY careful. As far as my PCOS symptoms...I noticed improvement after about my 4 or 5 month. My period is still irregular, but it comes every month now....just a few days to maybe a week off. Before I have gone months without having one at all. My blood pressure is WAY down and I feel great. I just have to tackle those sweet cravings and old eating habits. I am concerned about fertility...I have not really began to see if I can get pregnant or not. Before the doctor would always say it was due to the weight...ok now I've lost weight and they don't like to give definite answers still. So after the first of the year I'm going to start being very aggressive with some answers. I hope this helps a little, if you have any questions PLEASE do not hesitate to ask.

Overall, I do not regret having the surgery. The hardest thing about it is having the discipline to change. It's changing habits that's the hardest.

I have pcos and my weight loss was not quick but not slow either, like some. I have been out of surgery almost 5 months and have lost 68 pounds. im not complaining! My period is now regular and the flow has regulated as well. I'm losing a little big more hair than I would like to but it's ok I feel great.

Hello Ladies!

I am new to the group and I too have PCOS. I am at the very beginning of my stage and was wondering how PCOS would effect me. I also understand no two journeys are the same, but it feels good to know that there are people out here who can relate. My insurance requires 4-5 months supervised diet so, HOPEFULLY I'll be on the losers bench around April or May.

I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21, and I'm 31 now, so I've been living with the PCOS demon for a while now!! I had my surgery 2 months ago now, and I've lost 50 lbs total with the pre-op diet and since my surgery. My periods have still been messed up (even more so since the surgery) but the facial hair has seemed to slow down a touch. The pain from the cysts seems to have let up a little bit too. I asked my surgeon today about getting back on birth control to regulate my hormones, and he told me to wait and see how things went as I lost some more weight. The blood sugar issues seem to have leveled out some too, but that may have alot to do with a better diet too. Good luck with the surgery!!

Thank you ladies for sharing your stories with us! I know it gives me a lot of comfort hearing women in similar situations have success with weight loss!

I have PCOS also and I have lost 52 lbs in 4 months. The weight loss has slowed a bit so I am trying to up my exercise and lower carbs. I have an IUD so haven't had a regular period in a few years. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 29 and am 40 now. The main thing I am noticing is that my already thin hair has gotten much thinner recently. I'm hoping some of it will grow back but I think that some of it is due to prolonged PCOS so I may just have to live with thin hair. Good luck! I am so glad I had the surgery and am looking forward to more loss and ultimately reaching my goal.

Thank you so much for this post. I too have PCOS and have my surgery scheduled for Dec. 28. This is very helpful information in my journey....

I have PCOS also and I have lost 52 lbs in 4 months. The weight loss has slowed a bit so I am trying to up my exercise and lower carbs. I have an IUD so haven't had a regular period in a few years. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 29 and am 40 now. The main thing I am noticing is that my already thin hair has gotten much thinner recently. I'm hoping some of it will grow back but I think that some of it is due to prolonged PCOS so I may just have to live with thin hair. Good luck! I am so glad I had the surgery and am looking forward to more loss and ultimately reaching my goal.

Good job! Can I ask what type of exercise you started with and what you progressed to?

Hey Ladies! I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 22...I am now 34. I was sleeved on June 29th, 2010 and I have lost a total of 123 pounds. The first 70 were easy...I didn't have any problems or sickness. Now that I am a year and some months out...it has got hard. I am starting to crave sweets so you have to be VERY careful. As far as my PCOS symptoms...I noticed improvement after about my 4 or 5 month. My period is still irregular, but it comes every month now....just a few days to maybe a week off. Before I have gone months without having one at all. My blood pressure is WAY down and I feel great. I just have to tackle those sweet cravings and old eating habits. I am concerned about fertility...I have not really began to see if I can get pregnant or not. Before the doctor would always say it was due to the weight...ok now I've lost weight and they don't like to give definite answers still. So after the first of the year I'm going to start being very aggressive with some answers. I hope this helps a little, if you have any questions PLEASE do not hesitate to ask.

Overall, I do not regret having the surgery. The hardest thing about it is having the discipline to change. It's changing habits that's the hardest.

123 lbs, WOW! Great job!

i have pcos and was sleeved just a little over a year ago, iv found that wen ui follow the doctors dietary guidlines of avoiding carbs the weight just seems to drop off maybe even more quickly than someone without pcos. around 6 months my periods started to regulate. I also noticed a direct link between my cycle and my weight loss. I stall for 2 or 3 weeks and then the week of my period i just drop weight like nothing. But I truely believe if you avoid all the startchy carby food, you will lose the weight! =)

i have pcos and was sleeved just a little over a year ago, iv found that wen ui follow the doctors dietary guidlines of avoiding carbs the weight just seems to drop off maybe even more quickly than someone without pcos. around 6 months my periods started to regulate. I also noticed a direct link between my cycle and my weight loss. I stall for 2 or 3 weeks and then the week of my period i just drop weight like nothing. But I truely believe if you avoid all the startchy carby food, you will lose the weight! =)

Thanks for the advise! I'll be sure to steer clear of carbs!

Hey all. I too have pcos. I have been sleeved for 7 months and have lost 81lb. So it evens out to be about 11 lb a month. I am

Very pleased with this as before my sleeve I would have lost maybe 2/3 stone max by my self and then put it back on again. Now I have been loosing for 7 months and I know it's for the last time! My cycle has been more regular but still not the same amount of days each month. The biggest improvement for me has been the reduction in pain. I only took pain meds once this last month! Amazing! I love my sleeve and I am

More hopeful about being a mummy soon! X

(null)