Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Calorie Frozen Meals

Just curious what you all think about the reduced calorie frozen meals as an occasional go to food? I tried the Lean Cusine Sweedish Meatballs last night and I know way too much sodium, I feel it this morning but, sometimes I just want something warm (ie no turkey or chicken cold cut slice), fast and easy. I could only eat the meatballs and they were probably full of fat.

Since I had to have a second surgery two weeks following my sleeve as a result of a complication, I am still healing it seems my weight loss has stalled. Doctor said it is because my body is generating white blood cells and concentrating on healing the wound in my abdomen. I want to get back on the losers bench.

Thanks!

These did nothing for me. . . the only thing they did was put on additional fluids into my body from the sodium, but you know that already. . . even Jenny Craig meals are not good. . . good old fashion, cook it yourself, and store it in small containers to heat up for later are your best choices. . . good luck!

Thinoneday is right, but you have reminded me of something. When on Weight Watchers I would have 1 or 2 Lean Cuisines in my freezer for "emergencies". You know those times you are too hungry to cook & have nothing frozen or simply can't decide what to eat? I would eat at most 1 a month, so it worked out great. I will try that again and see how it goes. Perhaps you can consider that.

How are you feeling?

Something even better I found is making your own meatballs. I got one recipe for bbq meatloaf muffins. They are made in a muffin pan and the perfect size. Delicious. I either got the recipe here or OH. I also bought frozen turkey meatballs to keep in the freezer but they weren't as good as the homemade.

I never bothered with them. I always made my meals from things that I cooked and froze. When I wanted a frozen meal, I would take out a portion and heat it up and eat it. That way I knew what was going into my body.

These meals are my lifeline. I eat one for dinner almost every night. The salt helps me retain the fluids I do drink as I am still not drinking enough daily.

Good discussion. It was funny because my pre-op had me on these frozen meals with Protein shakes for 2 weeks then just Protein Shakes so I had a couple leftovers.

I am shocked even though calories were only 290 for the whole dish, I did not eat near the whole thing. Grimmy, Bikerchick and Thin you are all correct after the one meal the flavor just was not there and I definitely feel the sodium today. Longer if you try one you will see. June13 you are doing well on your weight loss so WAY TO GO. I think I will look for that good turkey meatball recipe and make some up for myself!!

Longer thanks for asking, I am feeling better but now I am fighting with insurance for the ACELL treatment that is healing me. They will not cover it....go figure. What am I supposed to do walk around with a hole in my abdomen? Sorry I am NOT a negative person but I have gone through a lot, am halfway through treatment and now am told it will not be covered.

Note: the ACELL apparently comes from "non human" and therefore they are considering it experimental. Heaven help me - to me I don't care, all I know is it is generating good skin and cell growth. I was told I could not be sewn together as there could be more bacteria and I would be back in the same boat :(

I don't think having a frozen meal when you're pressed for time otherwise would hurt you at all. I found a posting (forget where, was months ago) from a fellow sleever who doesn't cook. She wasn't losing weight as fast as her doctor liked, so her doctor gace her a list of acceptable meals with some guideline for trying others. here is that list. I saved it. :)

Lean Cuisine:

Glazed chicken

Three cheese Chicken

Chicken Parmesan

Meatloaf with Gravy and Whipped Potatoes

Smart Ones:

Chicken Marsala with Broccoli

Picante chicken and Pasta

Penne Pollo

South Beach:

Garlic Herb Chicken

Healthy Choice:

Beef Tips Portobello

Traditional Turkey Breast

Meals must meet the following guidelines:

*Fewer than 300 calories

*Fewer than 10 grams total fat

*Less than 45 total carbohydrates

*More than 15 grams of Protein

*Less than 600 milligrams of sodium (preferred but not essential)

Hope this helps!

Thanks!!

Sandy, I don't know if you have a Trader Joe's near you.. but they have some delicious turkey meatballs!!! And several easy heat and eat items w/o all the junk!

Holiday-thanks so much for the list.

I too prefer to make my meals from scratch. But having a light frozen dinner is certainly better than stopping off to get a burger (even if you forgo the Buns and fries)-

I also do the frozen scratch meals. I have a Forman type grill that cooks things from frozen so I make up ground beef (96% lean) into 3-4 oz seasoned burger patties and freeze individually. Or take chicken tenderloins and put them in a baggie with marinade or whatever seasoning (I love lemon/garlic/Greek seasoning the best). When I grill those I can even throw on some zucchini or whatever to grill at the same time. These don't take any longer than microwaving a frozen meal.

I use a mini muffin pan and make meatball/meatloaf type muffins. They are about 1 oz each. I cook and then freeze. I can take them add and add whatever sauce I want.

I live alone so having these individually portioned meals is perfect for me.

I probably eat 3-4 Lean Cuisine meals per week. I love the Steak Tips and Broccoli. They have 150 calories and 15 grams of salt. I think they're great for times I'm really hungry. I also like the Fajita-style chicken rolls. Again, 15 grams of Protein. Do what you think is best :)

hi has anyone ever asked their NUT about Lein Cuisine or other frozen dinners If they're ok on a rare basis, that would be a life saver for me.

kathy

Thanks for the list!! I haven't used any of them, but might in the future! :)

Yuck! I've never liked any of the frozen meals - even when I did Weight Watchers or other diet programs I rarely purchased their products. They always tasted a little "off" to me (lots of chemicals/preservatives in many of them). Like some others said I find it's easier to fix a large meal for my family and then spend the time to prepackage my lunch-sized portions into tupperware so I can just grab & go. The prepackaging is also great because it's so easy to track on my food log - if I know I've already measured out 3 oz of chicken or beef, I can just plug it into the program.