Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soup Ideas?

Hello Guys

Im a little under the weather and Im really craving some hot Soup. im about a month and a half out and am very restrictive with carbs so all my go to comfort Soups like chicken noodle are off limits. After the 4 weeks of liquids I kinda never wanna see broth again, so do you guys have any ideas for a high Protein low carb comfort soup for a sick fella?

I make a chicken and rice Soup (very little rice). Get a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and dump it into a soup pot and cover with Water. Bring to a boil, and then lower the temp to a simmer. Cook the bird until the meat is about to fall off the bone, adding Water as needed. You can throw a couple of ribs of celery and green onions for seasoning, and herbs and spices of your choice to season the broth.

Take the meat from the bones and chop. Recover the broth from the soup pot, straining out any solids. Put the chicken back into the soup pot with the broth, and add either water or store-bought broth to the pot to give you enough broth to make a pot of soup.

For the veggies - I either use fresh celery, carrots and onions, or I get a package of frozen "seasoning" veggies (Celery, onions, red pepper and green peppers) and fresh carrots. You can cook the veggies separately in the micro with a little butter, or just dump them into the soup pot and cook on top of the stove - it is a matter of how much time you want to make the soup.

For the rice - I either use rice from a traditional rice package (brown, wild, or white) and put it in with the chicken and broth and cook on top of the stove. If I am in a hurry, I get one of the packages that you can zap in the micro for 90 seconds. Since being sleeved, I only use about 1/2 C COOKED rice in the soup - it is basically chicken and veggies - not chicken and rice. So it doesn't take much raw rice to yield 1/2 c cooked rice. If you use the microwave package, either toss the rest of the rice you don't need from the package or feed it to a family member.

For seasoning the soup - I use about 2T of soy sauce and about 1/2T of tobasco sauce. The two seasonings are wonderful together. Adjust the proportions for your taste.

Sounds complicated, but it really isn't. I can make a pot of this soup in very little time.

I also make a quick and easy taco Soup this high in Protein. Brown 1 pound of lean ground beef (or turkey or venison) in a skillet. I also add in 1 package of frozen seasoning veggies (celery, onion and peppers) to the skillet and cook with the beef as it browns. Season with bay leaf, basil, garlic, salt, pepper and worchestershire sauce.

While the beef is cooking, open 2 cans of Beans (your choice - black, pinto, brown, or kidney - I usually pick one can of two kinds), one can of corn, two cans of stewed tomatoes, and one can of diced green chiles. Dump all of the canned veggies into a soup pot, don't drain the liquid - it goes into the soup pot. Add 1 package taco soup seasoning and one package of ranch dressing seasoning. Start this cooking on low to heat while the meat finishes.

When the meat and veggie mix is done, drain the liquid from it. Add the mixture to the bean/corn mixture in the soup pot. Stir to mix everything together. Add Water (or v8 or tomatoe juice, or beef broth) to the pot to get the soup the consistency you want (solids vs. liquids). Adjust seasonings to your taste.

If this has too many carbs for you - only use one can of Beans, or omit the corn. If you want it spicier, use 1 can of rotel tomatoes instead of 1 of the cans of stewed tomatoes.

I like both of these recipes! I think im gonna go with the taco Soup, those Beans are calling me

I've been posting this all over ... Ham and Lentil Soup. Soooooo gooooood! pureed if you are in that stage, otherwise, go for it.

I've heard, though, to avoid celery as our tummys can't handle the strings, if you haven't diligently removed them.

I love stew in the wintertime! If you slow-cook for long enough the beef will be so tender it will just melt in your mouth. We put some potatoes in ours along with carrots, celery, mushrooms, onion, etc. but you could just omit the potatoes if you don't want the carbs.

Unfortunately my husband always just makes from scratch so I don't have a recipe, but I know he uses beef boullion, bay leaves, and a bunch of other spices. :)

Quick Soup from Sunset magazine. You can use any kind of sausage you like and omit the potatoes if going low carb. I would also cut everything into smaller pieces.

Ingredients

• 1 pound brussels sprouts
  • 1/2 pound andouille sausage
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 3 large red potatoes
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth

Preparation

1. 1. Trim ends off brussels sprouts, remove any damaged external leaves, and cut in half lengthwise. Set aside.
  2. 2. Remove casing from sausage and cut into 1/4-in.-thick slices. Put olive oil and sausage in a medium pot over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is well browned, about 7 minutes.
  3. 3. Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into roughly 1/2-in. pieces.
  4. 4. When sausage is browned, add bay leaves and caraway seeds to the pot. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add potatoes, broth, and 1 cup Water. Bring to a boil. Add brussels sprouts. Partially cover pot and reduce heat to low or medium-low to maintain a steady simmer. Cook soup until potatoes and brussels sprouts are tender, about 15 minutes. Remove bay leaves and serve soup hot.

I hope you are feeling better by now!

The nutritionist here at the hospital approved my bean Soups, which are high in Protein. You can use one pound of dried black Beans that you have soaked and pre-cooked, and drained, or you can just use the approximate equivalent in canned Beans, rinsed.

I take 2 cups chopped onion, 2 cups diced carrots, 2 cups diced celery, and a little garlic, saute in 2 tablespoons olive oil.

When the carrots are cooked a bit, add the beans, and any seasoning that you like (I like some chile powder and a little cumin).

Add approximately 6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer until the carrots are tender.

Puree to your liking in the blender or if you can have more texture, use the immersion blender.

You can freeze the leftovers if you make a big batch.